Waggin Tailgate stuck closed / locked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waggin Tailgate stuck closed / locked

Allrighty everybody. Had this happen to me today, it's like the linkage inside the tailgate is bound up or something. The power door lock on the tailgate has never worked so i have that disconnected and pulled out. Just used the key to lock / unlock the tailgate.

It's always operatorated super smooth and without a problem, but this morning it's like something is bound up. I try to turn the key to open the tailgate lock and have stiff resistance, but it's not like it's hitting something solid. It's got some give to it, but I can't push past it without breaking the key off or something.

So, suggestions? Anybody know of any typical problems that occur with the tailgate lock linkage? Recommendations on getting that rear panel off with the door closed?

Thanks!
    JD
    1986 Ford Contry Squire: HO engine swap, 3G alternator, 3.73 gears, rear air springs, Class III 8000 lb hitch... potential tow rig for my Blazer trail toy??

Have you tried to open it by crawling inside and lifting the inside door handle? That's the only way I was able to get my '79 tailgate open toward the end.

Squirting some WD-40 into the lock cylinder can't hurt, either. Actually, that should probably be the first thing you try, if you haven't already. If the operation overall is as nice as you say, hopefully it's something super-simple like that.

Personally? I hate these three-way tailgates, and if I end up keeping my wagon long-term I seriously want to find a way to turn it into something simple and reliable like a liftgate.
    Last edited by 1987cp; 05-08-2009, 08:00 AM.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

could try turning the key in the lock position and then try to unlock it. Happened with my drivers side door.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

so i found out that i can get the door open if i just push past the resistance in the linkages. If i hold the key all the way over to the unlock position and pull on the handle it'll open. but as soon as i let go of the pressure on the key it goes back to the locked position....

i'll try some penetrating oil in there tonight, can't see any linkages busted / bent.
        1986 Ford Contry Squire: HO engine swap, 3G alternator, 3.73 gears, rear air springs, Class III 8000 lb hitch... potential tow rig for my Blazer trail toy??

Comment

that sounds like a stuck solenoid, but if that's already removed, maybe the window switch
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

yeah i have a stuck solenoid in the front passenger door, gotta pull the panel and disconnect it so i can at least use it as a manual lock...

anyhow, i've been soaking the tailgate linkage in penetrating oil a few times a day since i made the post, and it's getting better. very weird... it still remains in the locked position all the time, but now a quick turn of the key and it'll pop right open. very little resistance now. hopefully it'll cotinue to loosen and it'll stay up in the unlocked position.

Comment

Working...
            X