1990 Town Car air intake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1990 Town Car air intake?

Is it any better than the stock air intake monstrosity on my 1987 Crown Victoria? And can i see some photos of a 90's engine bay so i can see for myself if it is worth swapping out the inner fender just to get the unique Town Car air intake.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Get a marauder air box.

/end

Comment

I could only imagine how much that would cost.
      ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Actually... the 'choker' part of the 90 TC intake box is barely as big as a stock throttle body butterfly... now that you have an HO upper/TB, the 'choker' is gonna be a restriction in your intake.
        I had planned to find a used MAF sensor shell to use as a 'dummy' (should bolt right in place of the 'choker') and then use the good whale tube or the stock fox tube if it worked (but i wound up getting the CAI kit cheap - thanks mefull!).

Here's a pic of it... and yes it is as small as it looks, lol.
        I actually have a MAF sensor unit and the top portion of the airbox in my basement... you can have them if you want, just pay shipping The bottom portion is the same as whats in the aeros...

Last edited by 85crownHPP; 05-11-2009, 05:30 PM. Reason: merge
        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

it's not unique... I'm pretty sure the 91 Cali (maf) cars were the same way
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
            Actually... the 'choker' part of the 90 TC intake box is barely as big as a stock throttle body butterfly... now that you have an HO upper/TB, the 'choker' is gonna be a restriction in your intake.
            I had planned to find a used MAF sensor shell to use as a 'dummy' (should bolt right in place of the 'choker') and then use the good whale tube or the stock fox tube if it worked (but i wound up getting the CAI kit cheap - thanks mefull!).

Here's a pic of it... and yes it is as small as it looks, lol.
            I actually have a MAF sensor unit and the top portion of the airbox in my basement... you can have them if you want, just pay shipping The bottom portion is the same as whats in the aeros...

Cool thanks Pete i will keep you in mind if i cant find that stuff in the Junk yards.

wow that is very tiny. I have to look into this a little more. I think i will definitely do the inner fender swap next time i visit a yard because it really looks cleaner with that vacuum box and washer reservoir and will grab as much of a box as possible. I really like the way it looks. But will definitely need to make that choker larger. For some reason i just want a stockish look under the hood.

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
            it's not unique... I'm pretty sure the 91 Cali (maf) cars were the same way
            ahh good to know. Just dont think i will be frequenting any California junk yards any time soon.
            ~David~

Comment

Have a look at mrltd's fender. Thats 90-91 inner fender and a later model airbox and air tube. Its similar in concept to the 90 Towncar stuff, but its much larger and will flow a heck of a lot better.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yes i will definitely have a look.
                ~David~

Comment

Just to clarify...I can find my inner fender on a 1990 Town Car as well as 1991 Grand marquis and Crown Victoria? BUT can only find the air box on the 1990 Town Car and later models Crown Vics and Grand Marquis?

Here are some pics of Mikes wagon that i will try and recreate once.

And i see how he put it together.

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showpost...0&postcount=15
                  Last edited by 87gtVIC; 05-12-2009, 06:25 AM.
                  ~David~

Comment

you don't need the big stuff, the earlier intake parts will work. Everything bolts in the same way.

I have a stock non-marauder box and maf somewhere....

Comment

By big stuff i guess you mean the marauder box and maf? I dont need that at all, at least not yet. But a rubber tube from tb to a maf shell to stock aero box is what i do need. at least i think?
                      ~David~

Comment

the 1990 towncar fender might not be drop-in for a vic/gmq... since the fenders are a different shape and all.
                        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                        sigpic
                        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

90-91 Vic or GM fenders are what you want. Towncars are longer, prob doesn't fit right. 90 TC or aero airbox is what you want, and I'd go with that late model cvpi tube. The towncar tube is weenie looking.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                            the 1990 towncar fender might not be drop-in for a vic/gmq... since the fenders are a different shape and all.
                            Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            90-91 Vic or GM fenders are what you want. Towncars are longer, prob doesn't fit right. 90 TC or aero airbox is what you want, and I'd go with that late model cvpi tube. The towncar tube is weenie looking.
                            Good to know
                            awesome guys thanks! adding this to the list!
                            ~David~

Comment

the 04 pi zip tube will not fit on a nonpi MAF... it's like 4" diameter.

Comment

Working...
                              X