Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To Change or Not To Change: Tranny Fluid

Here's the spill:
    Tranny fluid in the Wagon is brown. Always has been. Looks like motor oil with about 2000 miles on it.

I did a pan drop/filter change and put about 4 or so fresh quarts in about 10K miles ago.

TV Bushing was broken when I got the car and it had been driven an unknown distance. I fixed the bushing and have had no problems with it slipping since, even up I-77 weekly in WV in OD at 75mph. It does have this weird thing where it vibrates up through the TV cable and makes the accelerator pedal vibrate after a long pull. It also lost first gear for three days this winter (I think due to frozen moisture in the VB). However, it has been flawless for the last five months for a stock AOD with 190K on it. I've got the TV pressure hiked up as well.

Should I change the fluid (including converter drain)? I'm going to keep driving this car as long as it runs. Motor is strong. Cancer and the Tranny are it's major life threateners.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

I have no idea. Some say that changing it leads to ts death. But i dont give a crap. Gonna be installing a shift kit soon and will be draining everything. If the tranny blows up i have a t-5 waiting in the basement calling my name.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I'd change it! i really don't think it will hurt it.. I'm going to be changing mine soon.
      sigpic

Comment

What did the pan look like when you dropped it? That would be my determining factor. If there were no chunks and no clutch debris, you can probably change it without it exploding.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The pan in my 91 only had the typical never-been-serviced grime in the bottom and it gave out soon after a pan/converter drain...
          I wouldnt wanna drive around on an 'iffy' transmission, I'd change it all and see what happens.
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

When I dropped the pan, all I found was the typical gray coating.

If it is going to go, I guess I need to find out now. I believe I will change it completely. I'll keep you all posted.
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I guess, dont go to far from home so the tow bill wont be high.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Back in the early 90s, my Dad used to service an '87 CV out of his shop. One time, while he was giving it a once over, he checked the transmission fluid, and found it to be nearly black. He changed the fluid, and the guy went on his way. No problems. A year later the guy came back and my Dad checked the fluid, and it was once again, nearly black. This happened a few times, but the transmission never took a dump. Just a thought...
                **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Sounds like the fluid was being overheated for some reason. Towing without a cooler does that.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Any cooler recommendations? Been thinking about putting one in for awhile now.
                    There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                    91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                    93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                    Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                    Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                    95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

when i got my 89' grand marquis the guy told me that when he went to go change the trany fluid they put the wrong filter on it??? so some times when you turn or just punch the gas some times it just slips for about 4 seconds so i don't know if the trany is going or if its just the filter some times doesn't do it for days but also i know what you mean when the gas pedal vibrates mine does that when i accelerate hard what is that????

Comment

Originally posted by V8GrandMarquis View Post
                        when i got my 89' grand marquis the guy told me that when he went to go change the trany fluid they put the wrong filter on it??? so some times when you turn or just punch the gas some times it just slips for about 4 seconds so i don't know if the trany is going or if its just the filter some times doesn't do it for days but also i know what you mean when the gas pedal vibrates mine does that when i accelerate hard what is that????
                        id change the filter and seal soon. i used mercon 5 in mine when i changed my tranny out, also do check your shift cable grommet up by the throttlebody make sure thats good if it is well..... id replace it anyway just to be s sure.
                        89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Working...
                        X