Tranny not shifting...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tranny not shifting...?

Problem just started recently. My girlfriend has encountered it a few times, me just today.

Shifted from reverse to drive, and the car just drifted backwards. Took a few times going from Park to Drive to get it to grab. Then it seemed to shift just fine. The fluid level checks out good. The tranny was rebuilt October 2005, before I bought the car.

Any idears?

sigpic
    - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

how does the fluid look/smell? when was it serviced last?
    did you check the fluid with the engine running? run the car thru the gears and check the fluid?
    first thing to do is drop the pan and see if theres anything unusual in it
    check to make sure the tv cable is still hooked up to the throttle body

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Shift linkage issues?
      1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
      1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
      1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

Originally posted by murphmobile2 View Post
        Shift linkage issues?
        +1 - sounds like the valvebody may just still be in Neutral. If it's just super-low on fluid, the car won't move much in Reverse either.
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
          how does the fluid look/smell? when was it serviced last?
          did you check the fluid with the engine running? run the car thru the gears and check the fluid?
          first thing to do is drop the pan and see if theres anything unusual in it
          check to make sure the tv cable is still hooked up to the throttle body
          Fluid looks okay, doesn't look crappy or anything. Didn't notice any horrible odor. Checked it running, shifted through and checked again. Good level each time.

I'll give the TV cable a look over when I have the car in daylight.

sigpic
          - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

1. Take the transmission dip stick out. 2. replace transmission. 3. Insert dip stick.
            Vehicle: 1965 Pontiac Catalina (fastback 2+2)
            Chasis: 1982 Ford LTD Country Squire
            Drivetrain: 302 V8 carb, AOD, 8.8 with 3.08 gears.
            Big Brake swap and front suspension completed.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X