my TV grommet ripped..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my TV grommet ripped..

the little rubber nipple on the end of my tv cable that holds it to the throttle body shreaded on me today

i knew because the gas peddle seemed really loose and entierly to easy to push down, not to mention it shifting really strange

so i pulled off into the home depo and bought a $2 pack of zip ties and used one to wrap under the rubber block at the end of the tv cable and up into the hole in the TB linkage where it usually sits. basically keeping the cable mounted in exactly the same place where it should be and moving with the throttle correctly. i was just going to keep it like this untill i went into work (napa) and could order a new one but the more i think about it the zip tie lookes stronger then the tiny rubber nipple that popes into that small hole. and considering everything being made so cheap in china now a days im sure the new grommet is no where near as strong as the old

while it was broke i feathered the throttle as little as possible to get to somewhere where i could fix it. 2 miles or so. hopefully i didnt cause any irreversable damage? it was imeadiatly back to running as usuall when i left the home depo parking lot so i guess im good
    1989 Grand Marquis GS

I have 4 zip ties on mine
    Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Good deal that you were able to apply a Band-Aid within a short distance. Reminds me of when I test-drove an automatic Mustang and the idiots selling it apparently didn't even know the TV grommet was gone, so I bought one and installed it before taking the car back. I tried to explain it to them, but they either didn't comprehend, didn't care, or both.

Do you have a dealer near you where you can get a proper grommet?
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

repace the gromnet right away!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

They make a brass one, and someone here must know the PN.
          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

ford part number #F3SZ-7H303-B

if you work at napa id just get one there, its only like 5 bucks id just replace it

Comment

zip ties break too ya know....
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 70torino429 View Post
                ford part number #F3SZ-7H303-B

if you work at napa id just get one there, its only like 5 bucks id just replace it
                thats the brass one right?
                1989 Grand Marquis GS

Comment

napa will only have the hard aftermarket replacement junk. I hate those kind of bushings and grommets... never exactly the same and harder to install.
                  Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

The grommet on my blue car broke years ago...
                    Drove it for quite some time, manually shifting it. Then one day I was under the hood, and noticed it was disconnected... truly a lightbulb moment. Hooked it back up, and kept driving. Twas a serious noob moment, but the transmission was ok after that until I thrashed it and tore it up.
                    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

i couldnt find the grommet listed in the computer at napa...
                      1989 Grand Marquis GS

Comment

Have you tried a dealer?
                        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

got mine at a dealer. ~$8, I think for the brass one. Part #F3SZ-7H303-B.

Edit: Teamfordparts.com has it
                          Last edited by 91waggin; 05-20-2009, 01:24 PM.
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                          91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                          93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                          Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                          Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                          95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

i'll stop at a deal on the way home from work tomorrow, see what up. thanks guys
                            1989 Grand Marquis GS

Comment

Get the brass one from the dealer man, even if tis $10 that's still a cheap insurance in the longevity of your trans.

Comment

Working...
                              X