Runnin rich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Runnin rich

My 85 cfi merc has benn running super rich lately. I'm getting like 10mpg wich really sucks. So far I have changed the fuel filter, spark plugs, plugged smog ports on the back of the heads, disconected the air pump and cleaned the injectors. I have a o2 sensor that I need to put in, but it is stuck and i cannot change it. My pcv valve is broke and disconected. What else can be done?

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
    My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

check for vacuum leaks... the vacuum reading is directly related to how much fuel goes in... also fix that PCV system. My hose, valve, and grommet are all new.

Soak the O2 bung in penetrator, and keep trying to get it out. Gotta have a fresh o2!!!

also have you tried seafoam??
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I just bought regular engine seafoam+deep creep. The vacuum leak sounds probable but I have to fix my fuel return line first(it sprung a leak the first time I started it with the new trans, Thats good sign eh?). I'm going to NAPA soon to get trans cooler lines and pcv stuff.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.

Comment

I fixed the leak and tried the seafoam today! That stuff is great. My car doesnt stumble or miss anymore. I still need to get the pcv valve and filter but I am flat broke now. After I go for a road test with the new trans I'm changing radiators and pulling that o2 sensor, what ever it takes I'm gettin that sum bitch out. I still need to get my alternator tested cause I dont think its right and its a little to late to return it if its bad.

Comment

Ok, today I took it out on the road today and it eats up gas like nothing.
          I want to narrow things down, so I heard when the o2 sensor goes bad the computor goes into a "safe" mode where it runs really rich, is this right? Also would the egr have any effect?

Comment

As I understand it when the o2 sensor goes bad, it quits sending a signal to the computer, so it runs it extra rich to be one the safe side.
            You could also try replacing the Coolant Temp Sensor... if its bad it can causes the richness.

Has the timing been changed or checked recently? Im not positve how the EGR effects mpg... but while I drove with it disconnected I didnt notice any change.
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

oh, and if the PCV is disconnected, you put a cap on the nipple for it right? If not, thats your huge gas guzzling vacuum leak!
              sigpic

Comment

I did not know if the pcv was disconnected it would do that, since older cars run with breathers. Right now it is all off and I just have the hole in the rear of the valve cover awaiting a new one. The coolant temp sensor is newer so it should be ok. Thanks alot man!

Comment

Im not talking about the one on the back of the passenger valve cover, that one IS just a breather!

The PCV valve is stuck in the middle of the oil cap, which is sucked on by a strong manifold vaccum. Check that out next time you're in there. what about your timing?
                  sigpic

Comment

OH! Well then, I seafoamed the real pcv with that deep creep stuff. The cap doesn't really make a snug fit on the valve cover, it always feels sloppy. I have a timing light but I did not know you could adjust it(according to my shitty haynes manual).

Comment

Wait, then where is the filter for the pcv???

Comment

the filter is the little sponge thing in the air cleaner.
                        Its still part of the crankcase ventilation, it just doesnt have actual valve in that side of it. I put a big rubber O-ring on my oil cap, that seemed to hold it in the valve cover better.
                        sigpic

Comment

I thought EEC IV cars had adjustable timing, but EEC III did not. 85 should be EEC IV.

If it adjusts the same way as mine, it goes likea thisa: Pull the SPOUT connector from the harness that plugs into the side of the distributor. It looks like a small black fuse. Start the engine and set the timing to 10 degrees BTDC. The marks are on the harmonic balancer and you'll probably have to get under the car and mark the correct spot with a paint marker. Make sure you get the BTDC side since the balancer has marks for both after and before top dead center. It should be marked either Before or BTDC. I don't remember which. Timing pointer is on the passenger side of the engine, kinda between the air pump and the block, mounted right to the side of the timing cover.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Got the new o2 in and now I get good mileage. But now the car stalls when I come to a stop. Also when I let off the gas and just let it coast it stumbles and misses. And when I go to accelerate it will miss and try to stall out on me. The car had done this before I got it from my grandpa. It only happens when the car is warm though. Any thoughts?

Comment

Oh stupid question. I know how to check timing but how do you adjust it. I dont understand EEC-IV and all that bullshit. Computor controlled cars make me sick.

Comment

Working...
                              X