Anyone want to learn how to weld?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone want to learn how to weld?

I will most likely bring my merk to scottfest on a trailer. I'll most likely tow it with my welding rig. If anyone wants to learn some welding tips and tricks, I will bring some plates and rods and show you guys how to weld. I have the capabilities to stick, mig/flux core, and scratch start tig with it. I want to see how much intrest there is so I can bring enough materials.

If you can bring gloves, a helmet, and something to cover yourself with (old jacket, sweatshirt whatever so you dont get burnt by the uv rays and spatter).

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
    My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

I am definitely down!!
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

me too!!! i need to get learned!!!
      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
      Originally posted by pantera77
      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

what you dont like a welders tan?
        sounds like fun.....i have a portable mig here

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I'd like to learn TIG, done MIG and stick. Overhead is may favorite. I got a burn in my ass crack to prove it...
          2000 Grand Marquis LS
          2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
          1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
          1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
          Mercury Owners Group member
          Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

That sounds like fun! And you can show me how to do it on an HO throttle body.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
              That sounds like fun! And you can show me how to do it on an HO throttle body.
              that will take a whopping 2 seconds to do...
              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                that will take a whopping 2 seconds to do...
                lol yea.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

count me in!!
                  Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

i got an idea..the dump truck needs the bed fixed

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I'm interested, but limited past experience tells me I have a very hard time not moving the gun while flipping the helmet down. I really hate how dark welding glass needs to be, can't see shit though that stuff.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I know how to , but I'd love to get better.
                        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                          i got an idea..the dump truck needs the bed fixed
                          How powerful is your MIG, Scott? Ya know I'm pretty good with that stuff, just as long as I ain't working on body sheetmetal

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          I'm interested, but limited past experience tells me I have a very hard time not moving the gun while flipping the helmet down. I really hate how dark welding glass needs to be, can't see shit though that stuff.
                          Automatic-screen helmets are your friend man, but if it makes ya feel any better I can't work with a regular pitch-black one either.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            I assume that's why Scott said he prefers the handheld shield? I've got both that and a cheap helmet from Menard's, and I found myself digging out the shield when I was under the car with little room for flipping the helmet around.

Ivan, I thought auto-darkening helmets, aside from being pricey and not cost-effective if you don't use them often, were supposed to allow slight eye damage in the few nanoseconds it takes them to darken?
                            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

We have an automatic screen. Makes it alot easier.
                              **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Working...
                              X