how to drain ALL the tranny fluid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to drain ALL the tranny fluid?

i have seen that draining the pan only gets out half the fluid in the tranny. I have seen that you can take a hose off the tranny and run the car to drain out the remaining fluid in there but i have seen some bad things about that.

So I'm looking to see what the best way is to go about it, i would like to get as much old fluid out as possible. I have the new filter and gasket kit already also.
    Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
    HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

pull the pan, drain the converter...

Pull the inspection plate off the bellhousing, get someone to bump the motor until you see the drain plug.... remove plug, let it drain, reinstall plug.

Taking the hose off and running it will destroy the trans. (unless you take it to a jiffy lube place and they use the trans machine. )
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Ive taken the hose off and flushed em with no issues. Just have to remember to shut it off after a gallon or so and fill it back and keep doing it till the fluid turns nice and newlike in color.
      1989 Grand Marquis LS
      flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Sounds expensive and wasteful. Gonna take gallons and gallons to get the majority of the bad fluid out.

To expand on what mrltd said, when you see the converter drain plug make sure it is straight down to remove as much fluid as possible.
        Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
        Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

I had the same question. So the converter drain plug is easily visible and accessible when the pan is removed?
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Its not really saw wasteful as you think. I used an extra 2 quarts last time I think. The converter drain plu isnt in the pan. Should be accesible with it on.
            1989 Grand Marquis LS
            flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
              I had the same question. So the converter drain plug is easily visible and accessible when the pan is removed?
              dont have to take the pan off to teh get drain plug. you know that thin aluminum cover behind the oil pan? thats teh inspection cover. remove the two little bolts and spin the converter til you see the drain plug.
              http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
              http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Also take into account as well, that on an old AOD in which the fluid has never been changed, sometimes a fluid/fluid filter change can be the "Kiss of Death". I've seen it happen quite a few times, even on the low-mileage factory AOD's. Sometimes its better to leave it alone, unless you have the money for a re-build. I did get lucky with my old LTD as the AOD had 108K on it when I changed its original fluid/filter, and it still survived for another 20K afterward before it shit the bed.

Comment

So, once you drain the trans and the torque converter, how do you refill the converter? Do you just add fluid through the dipstick until it reads full, start the motor and move the shifter through all the positions, and repeat until the fluid level doesn't change?

tl;dr version:
                  Does the converter suck fluid from the body of the trans until it's full? Or do you fill it differently?
                  There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                  91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                  93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                  Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                  Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                  95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Originally posted by DuceAnAHalf View Post
                    dont have to take the pan off to teh get drain plug. you know that thin aluminum cover behind the oil pan? thats teh inspection cover. remove the two little bolts and spin the converter til you see the drain plug.
                    Ok awesome thanks!

Originally posted by 91waggin View Post
                    So, once you drain the trans and the torque converter, how do you refill the converter? Do you just add fluid through the dipstick until it reads full, start the motor and move the shifter through all the positions, and repeat until the fluid level doesn't change?

tl;dr version:
                    Does the converter suck fluid from the body of the trans until it's full? Or do you fill it differently?
                    BUMP

I have no idea but i want to know.
                    ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

it will fill as you add through the dipstick. fill with 8qt's before starting though.
                      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I have done the following:

Two-bucket method: Using the coolant lines, I've flushed an AOD before, with one bucket being the supply-side, with four gallons of Dex III....and an empty bucket into which to drain the old stuff. It still looked somewhat dirty afterwards.

Manual removal: Drain the convertor, and while you have the pan off, loosen the valve body to the point where it allows fluid to drain, as the VB holds in quite a bit of tranny fluid. Tighten back as needed, and pray the gasket between the VB and the case didn't tear.

Preventive Measures: Plumb in a remote double oil-filter block to the pressure side of the cooler lines, and use a pair of really good oil filters. I haven't done this too often....but it keeps the fluid clean for a really long time.

Comment

After a full drain I add 7-8 quarts, and then start to cycle the fluid by shifting the car through the gears. I continue to do that in between adding fluid, until its full.
                          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Wait a second. Are you sure i have that inspection cover, i heard that they changed at some point and some only have the drain on the face of the converter?
                            ~David~

Comment

You have the cover unless someone removed it. If you see an aluminum plate instead of flexplate teeth when you look right behind the motor, then its there. The AODE and 4R70W transmissions have a smaller inspection plate right on the bottom of the bellhouse instead of the bolt-on plate on the front but its still there.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X