Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knocking noises - 1992 Grand Marquis LS

Knocking noises - 1992 Grand Marquis LS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1./ Car jerks around 50-60 km when speeding up, especially uphill.
    It is kind of a hesitancy like a kangaroo shift. It was believed to be the torque converter.
    The torque converter and transmission was overhauled, what did not help.

2./ THEY CLAIMED IT MAY NEED A TUNE UP AND EMISSION CONTROL VALVE.

3./ Brake:
    Brake was recently fixed, but emergency brake light gets regularly on. Something appears to be loose.

Another repair shop claimed the struts were supposed to be changed and one of the ball joints were also changed but when one braking it gives a horrible knocking, banging noise. What is it struts, Brakes? Who knows what is it?

4./ Anti lock brake light is on. Is it working?

5./ Hissing ,vibratory sound comes when standing parallel to building, engine running. Belt? Water pump?

6./Before alignment car was pulling to the left, now it appears to pull to the right. Your comments please after test drive.

2003 Mercury Marauder 300A - Black on Black, Original Owner 70xxx miles. 1 of 470 Canadian Marauder built!
    Mods: Martyo Fender badges, JLT CAI, SS Inserts
    Click on the Marauder for more pictures and stats!

1) when was the last time it had a tune-up? If the plugs and wires are original, I'd start there.

2) possible. Exactly what "emission control valve" are they talking about? There are several items that could be called that, and for the most part they are not frequent fail items. Usually they don't go bad but the EGR channels can and do get clogged. SHould be a tech article on lincolnsonline.com about cleaning the egr channels.

3) Try pulling the pedal all the way up. Also, check the brake fluid level. If its low, the red light will come on. There are usually 3 things that will trip the light, e-brake pedal, low fluid level, and some issue with greatly different fluid pressures. Usually this is in the form of air or a blown brake line, both of which you'd feel in the pedal. If there was some pressure related problem, the brake pedal would usually hit or nearly hit the floor and brake performance would be pretty crappy.

Noise could be several things. Endlinks, worn caliper pins or bushings, bad ball joints, really bad control arm bushings all come to mind. Have to get under there and diagnose it.

4) ABS functions are disabled with low fluid usually, so start there. Could also be a sensor, but if the light is on, it means ABS is disabled because of a problem. Have to pull the codes on the ABS system to determine what.

5) Could be a lot of things, but I'd start with the belt tensioner or idler pulley. I forget which the 4.6 has, but I suspect both. THose tend to make funny noises when they get bad.

6) Low air pressure, incorrect alignment, dragging brakes, lots of other possibles. Could be related to the noise when braking.

If you're not of the mechanically inclined sort, I'd suggest finding a different garage. It appears so far you've not had good luck getting things repaired properly.
    Last edited by gadget73; 05-23-2009, 01:17 PM.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
    X