Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Push Button Transmission

How exactly do they work??

I found a kit from RetroTek Speed and I know that some commercial trucks have 'em, but I ain't got a clue what happens when you push a gear selections.

Thinking I may go this way whenever I can sit the Marquis aside for some major work...

sigpic
    - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

i assume it is just a lineir (sp) actuated solonoid. you press the button, it tells the solonoid how far to move.
    http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Thats the gist of it, but I doubt they use a solenoid based linear actuator. They are pretty much all or nothing, and not all that controllable.
      I'm betting it is some sort of motor driven device that either has an encoder on it, and adjustable set points for every gear, or else it has adjustable limit switches, which would by far be the cheaper system to build.

In any case its nothing new. Chrysler had them in the 1960's. For years they have been a sought after hot rod item.
      Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
      AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
      Open/Lock/Ratio #
      -----------------------
      G / H / 2.26
      B / C / 2.47
      8 / M / 2.73
      7 / - / 3.07
      Y / Z / 3.08
      4 / D / 3.42
      F / R / 3.45
      5 / E / 3.27
      6 / W / 3.73
      2 / K / 3.55
      A / - / 3.63
      J / - / 3.85

Comment

I doubt the old Chryslers used actuator motors or any sort of electronics. More likely it was a cable arrangement. Also, something to keep in mind, the old Chryslers didn't have a park position. You had to apply a parking brake manually. Honestly I'm not sure I'd trust something loaded with actuators and limit switches and all that. Too many things to fail. Also, considering where the motor would have to live, right there next to the trans and exhaust, I can't see it living a good life. Would really suck to get stuck somewhere because a limit switch died and you can't shift the car into gear.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

On a related note there is a company that is offering paddle shift set ups for pretty much all ford automatic transmission that came in mustangs.
          http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
          http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

I was refering to the current offerings not ma mopar's original setup. Ive never worked on one of those...
            Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
            AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
            Open/Lock/Ratio #
            -----------------------
            G / H / 2.26
            B / C / 2.47
            8 / M / 2.73
            7 / - / 3.07
            Y / Z / 3.08
            4 / D / 3.42
            F / R / 3.45
            5 / E / 3.27
            6 / W / 3.73
            2 / K / 3.55
            A / - / 3.63
            J / - / 3.85

Comment

Originally posted by DuceAnAHalf View Post
              On a related note there is a company that is offering paddle shift set ups for pretty much all ford automatic transmission that came in mustangs.
              Hm, I'm guessing thats for the 4R70w family? I figured someone had to eventually come up with a way to paddle shift one of those.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

There is an article in the latest issue of Hot Rod on a '56 Chrysler that was extremely done up in performance and as a SEMA-level show car. It retains its push-button shift setup but somehow they adapted it to a GM 4L80E. I'm sure it'd be easier if you had an electronically controlled automatic.

Comment

pushbutton electronics would probably be easy, though the GM transmissions do need a lever movement to disengage the park pawl. I guess if you weren't real concerned about that, you could just set the lever to N, and use the parking brake like they would have done originally.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    Hm, I'm guessing thats for the 4R70w family? I figured someone had to eventually come up with a way to paddle shift one of those.
                    4R70W, E4OD, 4R100, and I'd imagine the 4R150Ws as well - tis the Baumann Engineering stand-alone transmission control, and it uses the cruise control buttons on the steering wheel for the paddle-shift action.

The original Chrysler push-button transmissions utilized cables IIRC. Due to the AOD being non-electronic you'll either have to figure out a similar cable setup, or do indeed go with linear actuators and limiting switches and stuff...

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSteakJim View Post
                      There is an article in the latest issue of Hot Rod on a '56 Chrysler that was extremely done up in performance and as a SEMA-level show car. It retains its push-button shift setup but somehow they adapted it to a GM 4L80E. I'm sure it'd be easier if you had an electronically controlled automatic.
                      Awesome car. The work that Troy Trepanier (and his crew) does is incredible; the interior of that car was amazing.

On a more related note, Moon used to sell a push button setup, with I believe used an actuator. Don't know if I'd buy anything from Moon, but it may be something to look into.
                      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Working...
                      X