400.....Modified.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

400.....Modified.

I thought it was interesting....and spendy.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...ild/index.html

I thought someone already had a 434 stroker kit for this engine....

And some Maverick goodness....
    http://www.hotrod.com/projectbuild/h...k/results.html
    Last edited by ; 05-25-2009, 02:25 AM.

I keep telling people the 400 is capable. Sucks about the obscene pricing to really make one scream but thats kind of what you get building a motor that nobody cares about.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I need to do that to my wife's maverick. BOOM!
      1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
      2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
      sigpic

Comment

theyve since cut that maverick all apart because spectre (the people who sell those cold air intakes in pepboys) is swapping a supra turbo motor into it and ricing it all out lol
        1989 Grand Marquis GS

Comment

Originally posted by RunUoveR View Post
          theyve since cut that maverick all apart because spectre (the people who sell those cold air intakes in pepboys) is swapping a supra turbo motor into it and ricing it all out lol

id like to see someone do a hopped up 300 six

Comment

I've seen turbocharged 300's.
            Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
            Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Our 400 doesn't make that kind of power and it wasn't THAT expensive either. But it's still damn impressive.
              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I loved the 351m in my 77, I still got it sitting around. Might tear it down and build something like that if the block is any good.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
                My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

had a 400 in my 77 ltd......weather was crappy so mom had me take her 79 thunderbird that day cause it was a little smaller and it was better in the snow........well mom got cut off that night and slid on ice and t boned a gaurd rail at 50 mph......the ltd was totalled, but driveable.....mom was fine.........couple weeks later while my dad was on his 2 weeks active duty, i was beating on his 78 f150 and going up the highway, instead of going for third gear, the lever went into reverse.......slam!!!....wheels locked up, i skidded to the side of the road. went to start the truck back up and all i got was click........had it towed to my friends garage.....we pulled it apart, and i grenaded the c4 and broke the crank on the 302 lol (was a pos used motor from a 76 granada....total pig)
                  we tooked the 400 and the fmx out of the wrecked 77 ltd.......the trans worked good so we left it alone......the engine was a little tired, so we sent the heads out to be rebuilt and surfaced, we replaced the rings and bearings, the timing chain and gears, installed a mild truck cam and lifter kit (dont ask me the specs, it was 22 yrs ago lol) long tube headers (cheaper than truck 400 manifolds and y pipe hehe) a used holley 600 and iirc an edelbrock intake.........the truck (2wd reg cab longbed f150) was a beast........best i ever got was 10 mpg highway tho........the engine and trans held up good, somewhere around 1991 the cab mounts broke and i had no means of repairing it so dad and i traded it in

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

The 400 isn't a bad motor but most people just seem to prefer to stick the money into a 460 or a 351W. Seems like you just get a lot more bang for your buck with a 460 or 351W.

Comment

I hate to say this but a 400M never existed.. its just a 400. The M is a 351.. But i know these motors can put out some power.. I have a 351M in my pickup. It has a cam with a rpm range of 2500-6800. I run it up to 6000 rpm often. runnin a 750 CFM carb, shaved heads and headers. it gets mistaken for a 460 all the time....
                      Last edited by hav24wheel; 06-18-2009, 08:13 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hav24wheel View Post
                        I hate to say this but a 400M never existed.. its just a 400. The M is a 351.. .
                        Who said 400M?

Comment

title of the thread. "400.....Modified" Most people say the M means Modified. So i guess i read it as 400M. Maybe it should of said "Built up 400" ;lol
                          sigpic

Comment

The thread title is 400.....Modified. And it is about a modified Ford 400. Yes, we know there is no engine officially known as the 400 modified in the Ford stable.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              Yes, we know there is no engine officially known as the 400 modified in the Ford stable.
                              I just point it out all the time. Its just a pet peeve i have.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X