TRANSMISSIONS!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TRANSMISSIONS!!

Transmission options for my car once the AOD dies. I like the whole 5-speed manual swap, but I dont want to do all the work. I dont like the AOD and after mine dies, Im not getting another one. The C6 is too big and power robbing. It seems that the C4 is the best way to go, BUT NO OVERDRIVE. The C4, C6, and AOD have a crappy 1st gear ratios. Back in my Chevy days, I used to love to use the 700R4 because of its 3.07 first gear ratio and the fact that it actually lasted.

1980c10 posted questions about a 4r70w swap. It seems like a great option for me because of the 2.84 first gear ratio. However, I have never heard of this. Can anyone advise of the pros and cons in reference to this swap?? Also what did he mean by "adding the clutch that the V6 is missing" ? Do they come in the V6 Mustangs? Thanks
    Vehicle: 1965 Pontiac Catalina (fastback 2+2)
    Chasis: 1982 Ford LTD Country Squire
    Drivetrain: 302 V8 carb, AOD, 8.8 with 3.08 gears.
    Big Brake swap and front suspension completed.
    sigpic

Wide ratio AOD is an option. Gearset from a 4R70w, case and valve body from the AOD. You get the gearing of the 4R70w without the expense of the controller. Done properly, it also incorporates the upgrades from the 4R70w so you get an overall more durable trans than your original 82 AOD. Early AODs did have some design issues that made them less strong and less reliable than later models.

If you want to go full out 4R70w, it needs a Baumann controller, and you need a trans out of a 3.8 or 4.2 car or truck. The car ones have one less clutch than a V8 model, but if you take it to a good trans guy, they should be able to use the V8 clutch pack without any trouble. Its entirely possible that a trans out of a 4.2 pickup truck has the extra clutch, but I'm not positive. The big con with this is the controller is not cheap. Also, from what I've been told if you really goober up the settings you can nuke the trans. Also, a 4R70w is a little longer than an AOD, so it might require shortening your driveshaft, or just swapping to a later model driveshaft with the appropriate funky U joint to retain the flange needed to bolt to your rear.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Has anyone tired this?? 700r4 conversion? seems cheaper. no extra V8 clutch conversion. No computer to control shifts.

http://700r4inaford.com/
      Attached Files
      sigpic

Comment

And

and.
        Attached Files
        sigpic

Comment

Theres a fella here in town that did that in a late 90's grand marq. He seems fairly happy with it.
          1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
          2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
          sigpic

Comment

700R4 is a terrible idea.
            Last edited by grandpaslincoln; 05-25-2009, 06:28 PM.
            Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
            Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Why? Please advise. Is it the kits? Driveshaft issues? I have always loved the 700r4 back in my chevy days. however, I dont know anything about how they behave once they have been transplanted into a Ford.
              sigpic

Comment

GM automatics, especially the older 3 speeds, are very good. My brother had an '88 Suburban with a 700R4, and it did have a really low first. He never had any issues with it and he used to tow with it all the time.
                **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by 82LTDQS View Post
                  Why? Please advise. Is it the kits? Driveshaft issues? I have always loved the 700r4 back in my chevy days. however, I dont know anything about how they behave once they have been transplanted into a Ford.
                  Well....Provided you get an 87-up unit, and have it rebuilt by someone who actually knows their 700R4's....it's not a bad transmission. I have one rebuild with a 700R4, and it had to come back out of the vehicle twice due to the previous rebuilder doing his own 'shift kit', and my not finding this out until after I went back through it the second time....it was a goddamned nightmare.

The 200-4R is a better unit, really, but once again, you need to find someone who actually knows what they are doing if you are going to get one rebuilt.

Comment

sSeem like a bunch of work like the 5-speed manual swap. I guess im back to the old C4 swap again.
                    Last edited by 82LTDQS; 05-26-2009, 02:24 PM. Reason: error
                    sigpic

Comment

Might I ask why you're so dead set against the AOD? I promise I won't get all bitchy, I'm just curious. I know I've made my case for the AOD multiple times, so I'm sure everyone is aware that I actually don't hate the clunky slushboxes that they are. I will admit to having the 700R4 or 200R4 thing cross my mind at some point, but the price to do the swap turned me away.
                      Last edited by gadget73; 05-26-2009, 05:52 PM.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Here goes

Ok, here goes. The AOD I have now was rebuilt about 20k ago and is already slipping, and yes the TV cable is adjusted properly to the stock carb with the correct grommet. The original one died way back when just like most AOD owners. They are expensive to buy new or to get rebuilt. Every time I mention that they suck, someone talks about how they are just fine as long as they are rebuilt by "someone who knows what their doing." Well Chevy guys don’t have to worry about finding some secret genius special AOD transmission rebuilder. It seems as if every forum I go to or every one I have talked to has the same story: They replaced their original AOD sometime ago and their new or rebuilt one is already going to dying. It’s all over this and other forums. Back in my Chevy days I always hung out with Both Chevy and Ford guys. I saw what the Ford guys had to go through with their automatics. I used to drag race allot back then. Just for fun at the track. Nothing fancy at all. Many buddies of mine trashed their AOD's for 5-speed manuals or C4's because of the trouble they had with them. I don’t care for the ratios at all in the AOD. I know this isn’t enough to hate them, but I have personally (not what I have read in a magazine or online) seen stock TH350's, 700r4's, and 200R4's take an unbelievable amount of abuse without fail. No matter how shitty the car is, you can always count on those transmissions. I know, I know, the 700r4 had its issues in the beginning, but I bet the early 700r4’s were better than any AOD. It’s like I never had to even put any thought into the transmission back then. Now I do and it sucks. The only thing I like about it is the overdrive. I’m not saying Chevy is better or Ford is better. Please, let’s not start that. They both have their pros and cons. Such as: The great Ford 302 and the crappy Chevy 305, Ford has the best rear ends and GM’s rear ends suck etc…. Ford transmissions are known to SUCK, so I want to be smart and not waste my money replacing my transmission every 5 years. Based on how people talk, or the comments they post, I get the feeling that everyone that has one feels as if they are on some kind of a timer. When will this transmission die? Check the cable setting, smell the fluid, what color is it etc…. The GM guys don’t have to do that no way near as much. Well, that’s my opinion. I’m in no way saying I’m right, and I am not trying to make a point. This is ONLY my experience and I am very aware that I could be very wrong. I have a 2004 CV company car and it is on its 3rd transmission with 97k miles. The fleet maintenance mechanics tell me that the older caprice vehicles never had this issue. Some guys with new 2009 CV’s are already having transmission issues now. This kills my confidence.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 82LTDQS View Post
                          I have a 2004 CV company car and it is on its 3rd transmission with 97k miles.
                          This is NOT normal. Something is very wrong here.

Also, from what I understand, a 1982 AOD and a 1991 AOD are worlds away from each other in terms of reliability and durability. My CP has 157k miles on the original, unrebuilt transmission and converter, and it hadn't seen particularly regular fluid changes until I got ahold of it about 50k miles ago. While it's certainly a slushbox, it certainly seems durable enough. I'm not particularly nice to it.
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                          91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                          93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                          Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                          Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                          95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

90% of transmission builders cant rebuild shit correctly........i've had a few shops build transmissions over the years, and theres only one mang that i trust......brian. every other builder was hit or miss......the 20-40k transmission as you mention.
                            the 700r4 is similar to the aod and a pos too if you want to put it that way....same tv cable setup.
                            the aod in my towny has 205,000 miles on it......i call that decent...

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Good point. I guess it would be better to get one that has been rebuilt from like TCI or something.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X