oil-pan replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil-pan replacement

On average, how many hours do this job take? I realize the engine will have to be raised. I'll have to find a reputable shop to do the work.
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '94 Crown Victoria

5.5 hours in my nichols' chilton labor guide

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Did the pan rust out? I really got to get a picture up of my pan and all of the silicone on it lol
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Yes, the oil-pan rusted out...It's most likely an original part.
        '79 Continental Town Car
        '90 Crown Victoria LTD
        '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

That sucks.
          ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
            Yes, the oil-pan rusted out...It's most likely an original part.
            How does the oil pan rust out? I don't think I've ever heard of that one happening...
            1963 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 Holiday
            1964 Chrysler Newport
            1986 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX
            1997 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
            sigpic

Comment

Well on my car it is just rusted through. The rust built up and went right through the pan.
              ~David~

Comment

what he said...

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                Well on my car it is just rusted through. The rust built up and went right through the pan.
                I made an appointment on Friday to take the car in for Wednesday morning to S/S Tire and Auto Service (sstire.ca)...I've dealt with them before and they seem to be knowledgeable/honest.
                '79 Continental Town Car
                '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

was the labor quote on teh munny?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Comment

Mine had a hole in it when I got it, it was a pain in the ass to replace. Me and my father did it.
                    -2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor - Daily Driver - 17" Bullitt's, 235/55/17 Goodyear Eagles, Ex-NH State Police, best 1/4 mile time; 15.3 @ 90 mph
                    -1987 Crown Victoria 2-Door - Project - 90k miles, Summit chambered muffler, Sunpro gauges, parked since 2010, fate tbd

Comment

Originally posted by 87DeuceVic View Post
                      Mine had a hole in it when I got it, it was a pain in the ass to replace. Me and my father did it.
                      what was your method?

My dad and i just patched it. Going good for 3 years now.
                      ~David~

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                        My dad and i just patched it. Going good for 3 years now.
                        I took the car in today. The service advisor said I should just get a fiber-glass patch job. He said replacing the oil-pan would take a couple of days and the labour would be high...

If I go this route, I'll have more $$ free to get the new fender painted and installed. Also, the pass-side frame-rail is going to need some welding before the inspection in January 2010.
                        '79 Continental Town Car
                        '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                        '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

couple days?
                          find another shop or come visit me

Comment

I hate how shops back out of doing jobs. The same goes for autobody shops. They are all pussies in the end.
                            ~David~

Comment

the guy that i worked for for 6 years would take in anything.........i used to get evaporator jobs from shops all over town, and a used volvo mechanic/dealer 20 miles away, and even the volvo dealer 30 miles away (refered to us by the used volvo dealer) you gotta take whatever you can in to keep the mechanic busy.....not every job is gravy

Comment

Working...
                              X