sound activated LED's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sound activated LED's?

Where is a good place to start researching these so i realistically consider building a nice rig for my interior?

I was looking for something that was sensitive to bass, and treble. And maybe a nice way to wire up a on/off, intensity, and sensitivity controls. I realize this is a very bad idea for someone with as little experience as myself with electronics, but i feel like doing something stupid.

My sound responsive LEDs run off a little control module with a mic in it. It has a sensitivity knob on it, and the stereo volume works as the intensity adjustment
    Making it frequency sensitive is a whole 'nother ball game.. lemme know if you come up with anything.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
      My sound responsive LEDs run off a little control module with a mic in it. It has a sensitivity knob on it, and the stereo volume works as the intensity adjustment
      Making it frequency sensitive is a whole 'nother ball game.. lemme know if you come up with anything.
      Hmm, Your control module, Think it could be altered to where instead of a mic input there is an input from the radio itself? Perhaps you could re-solder it as a speaker output from the radio because that would provide the most accurate sound to mimic. Id imagine you could find a cheap equalizer to change what lights receive what levels. I have a feeling wiring it up as a new speaker would run into problems though... But this is just a crazy ass idea from some crazy guy ^.^

Comment

Not sure how to edit, sorry about that.

I was just reading that speakers outputs are too high to even think about putting near any kind of LED, so that got me looking at Preamp Outputs. Perhaps you could Y that cable out before it went to your amp, or from your amp to your speakers. I was more curious about the selection of actual modules as well. And ideas on where to look?

Comment

look up LED VU meter alot of the videos not only have a video but also a link to schematics as well theres a really awsome tower one that one guy built its sick as all get out!!!
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsyPOGqy9to
          89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Id assume id need something like this

http://www.electronickits.com/kit/co...igh/ck1005.htm

What kind of voltage does an accessory wire put out on my 1987 mercury grand marquis?

Also, would i be able to alter this setup by adding more LED's off of the breadboard?

Comment

Wow, i actually found exactly what i was looking for. Granted, its a hell of a lot more expensive... Maybe someone with a bit more experience on how LED's hook up to controls could tell me how this one is hooked up

Here

But I'm pretty sure this is what i was looking for. Preamp input with visually analyzed outputs. Sorry if i bursts your LED dreams buddy

Comment

Originally posted by emorabbit View Post
                Id assume id need something like this

http://www.electronickits.com/kit/co...igh/ck1005.htm

What kind of voltage does an accessory wire put out on my 1987 mercury grand marquis?

Also, would i be able to alter this setup by adding more LED's off of the breadboard?
                last time i check everything is 12volts

Comment

Originally posted by emorabbit View Post
                  Wow, i actually found exactly what i was looking for. Granted, its a hell of a lot more expensive... Maybe someone with a bit more experience on how LED's hook up to controls could tell me how this one is hooked up

Here

But I'm pretty sure this is what i was looking for. Preamp input with visually analyzed outputs. Sorry if i bursts your LED dreams buddy
                  umm it has a RCA input as well as a microphone option??? ts nothign more than a an over glorified UV meter is all there are cheaper kits out there and im sure if you got the schematics i could build you one

Comment

Originally posted by zoomie View Post
                    last time i check everything is 12volts
                    Beware of that assumption, since LEDs are really sensitive to voltage. I have had numerous LEDs go out because i had the resistors set for 12 volts, but the car really puts out ~13.9 or so when the motor is running and the alt is charging. I learned that I have to calculate resistors for 14v, and sometimes I have to add an extra resistor to make cheap pre-wired LED bulbs behave.
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                    91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                    93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                    Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                    Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                    95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Originally posted by 91waggin View Post
                      Beware of that assumption, since LEDs are really sensitive to voltage. I have had numerous LEDs go out because i had the resistors set for 12 volts, but the car really puts out ~13.9 or so when the motor is running and the alt is charging. I learned that I have to calculate resistors for 14v, and sometimes I have to add an extra resistor to make cheap pre-wired LED bulbs behave.
                      So I'm going to need a 12v resistor in case the voltage spikes above 12v before i give any juice to my ghetto spectrum analyzer that zoomie says he can construct :-P.

Comment

Necessary resistance would ideally be part of whatever gizmo zoomie would build... when I was playing will loose 3 volt LEDs I always planned for 15 volts, it seemed to work well.
                        Most any lighting product make for a car should already be able to handle the 12-15 volt range a car can see, unless its one of those silly "LED kit" things that look like someone made in their basement. Those are pretty much what I was making, I just made sure to use enough resistor.

Also, there are no "12 volt" resistors - you have to use Ohm's law to calculate what resistor (ohm and amp rating) you need according to the voltage and current needs of what you are working with.
                        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                        sigpic
                        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I just use 12 volt rated LEDs. I guess i cheat
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

here ya go remeber that kit this one comes assemled
                            http://www.youritronics.com/shop/20-...d066352aa926ee
                            not to mention its alittle cheaper than 250 from ebay same kit i believe goddluck and happy hunting mang

Comment

Originally posted by zoomie View Post
                              here ya go remeber that kit this one comes assemled
                              http://www.youritronics.com/shop/20-...d066352aa926ee
                              not to mention its alittle cheaper than 250 from ebay same kit i believe goddluck and happy hunting mang
                              Is there any way you could make that ribbon cable go to... 3 strips of LED's?

I'm thinking one for low, one for medium, and one for high. Different colors too.

Comment

Working...
                              X