mercon v vs. amsoil atf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mercon v vs. amsoil atf

im fast approaching the time to do a trans flush on my 96 gmq. ive been told as well as read that i should only use mercon v fluid when doling so. on the other hand i have also heard that amsoil atf should do the trick as well. i was wondering, in your guys' professional opinion, if i used the amsoil atf would i be making a mistake? if it makes any difference, this will be the first trans service the car has had to my knowledge. i plan onj doing the jmod at the same time. thanks for any replies.

tim
    1996 Mercury Grand Marquis - duals, PI cams, PI intake, J-Mod, MZT, BOC tune, 3.55s, 18in wheels
    1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero - 5.0 HO T5 Fun Cruiser
    http://www.supermotors.net/users/tmm313

Mercon V was specially designed to deal with the torque converter shudder issue during the mid 90's.

I like Amsoil. I wish I had enough money to use their engine oil right now. But I personally wouldn't use their trans fluid. It covers too many applications to be of benefit to Mercon V transmissions.

IMHO.

Comment

What he said. I'd use the Ford reccomended fluid for the trans. Its a semi-synthetic fluid, and it was designed specifically for the 4R70w and AODE trans. Its actually what they suggest for the AOD these days too.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Lucas makes a semi-synthetic transmission fluid now as well, and it meets the requirements of Mercon V. If we carried this when I did my fluid change I would have used that instead of Valvoline Maxlife with the Lucas treatment.
        1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
        1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
        1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

personally I'm not a fan of adding any sort of treatment to an engine or trans unless its really needed. If it works fine, I run nothing but virgin fluid in the system. I will dump some magic in a bottle into something thats dying though, just to see if it helps it or to squeeze some more life out of it.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            personally I'm not a fan of adding any sort of treatment to an engine or trans unless its really needed. If it works fine, I run nothing but virgin fluid in the system. I will dump some magic in a bottle into something thats dying though, just to see if it helps it or to squeeze some more life out of it.
            Amsoil ATF is not a treatment. It is a fully synthetic ATF that I have heard nothing but good things about. I have heard that it behaves better in finicky Honda automatics than the Honda stuff that you can only buy at the dealer.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx

edit: realized you were talking about the lucas treatment, not amsoil atf.
            Originally posted by gadget73
            There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
            91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
            93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
            Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
            Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
            95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

im picking up a case of Royal Purple Synthetic MAX ATF for the Marauder after work.
              I'll let you know how it turns out. And it's not for the faint of heart. $118 a case. But so so so worth it!!
              08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
              03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
              97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
              94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
              73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
              12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
              Originally posted by pantera77
              Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

ive heard some rumors of royal purple not being all its cracked up to be, let us know how you like it though.

Comment

Well my friend Mike used to run Mobil1 full-syn in his '99 Cougar, but he recently switched to the RP and he's told us it shifts even a little smoother than it did with the Mobil1.

Personally if I was to build up an AOD for my car, I would probably run a good full-syn Mercon V.
                  1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
                  1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
                  1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

yeah, it was $171 a case. it asked how much it was a bottle and they said $16. Then i said "but it says 11.49 on the shelf?" And guess what. i got it at 11.49 a bottle. for a case. so i got $22 off a case. and it all goes in tomorrow. I'll give an update once i can take it for a drive.
                    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                    Originally posted by pantera77
                    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Working...
                    X