would a c6 or e40d fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

would a c6 or e40d fit?

im kind of curious what it would take to make a c6 trans fit in a panther. i know they are much bigger than the aod, but they can take a lot more power than an aod could ever dream of. (i mean stock aod compared to stock c6) is the c6 the same size as the e40d? since i have one of those in my truck i could measure. i know the e40d is fairly BIG, but i dont think it would be unrealistic to fit one in a panther. it would get rid of that pesky tv cable. feel free to elaborate guys.

why?

AOD/4R70W transmissions are reguarly built handle high HP engines.
    2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
    89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
    88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

I believe Cowtown Cowboy's (CVN) '84 CVPI had a C6 in it when he got it (not original). I thought I remember reading about the tunnel being a little butchered.
      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq View Post
        why?

AOD/4R70W transmissions are reguarly built handle high HP engines.
        c6 is cheaper, the e40d is about the same price, but theres no need for a tv cable with a c6 or e40d. lots of e40ds and c6s in junkyards, all id need is a computer from a diesel e40d truck, to run an e40d.
        Last edited by 70torino429; 06-09-2009, 03:17 PM.

Comment

C6 is about the same size and weight as an AOD. I've got cores for both in the garage, so if you really want I can try to get some measurements.

What sort of stuff are you seeing small-block C6 trannies in? The one I have is for a small-block, but I had been under the impression that most went behind either big-blocks or the 351M/400 which shared the big-block bolt pattern.
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
            C6 is about the same size and weight as an AOD. I've got cores for both in the garage, so if you really want I can try to get some measurements.

What sort of stuff are you seeing small-block C6 trannies in? The one I have is for a small-block, but I had been under the impression that most went behind either big-blocks or the 351M/400 which shared the big-block bolt pattern.
            id really appreciate it if you could get some measurements, but im in no hurry really, so take your time.

most of the ones ive seen, as far as small block c6s i see are mostly in late 80s-early 90s broncos and ford pickups, and theres plenty of those in junkyards. im not sure what year exactly they did away with them, somewhere in the early 90s (somewhere around 91-93 i think) they all got replaced with the e40d. but the majority of the late 80s ones could still be had with a c6, ive only seen them on rigs with the 351, so i dont know if they came on 302 trucks, but i would assume its a possibility.
            Last edited by 70torino429; 06-09-2009, 03:39 PM.

Comment

can also get a c6 from TCI for 900$ versus 1600$ for an aod built to handle the same power level.

Comment

i can get an aod for 900 bucks that will handle 400hp......tci is crap

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

That sounds like an excellent deal .... lots of guys charge a grand for a stock AOD that may or may not have been built that carefully.

I take it you've had issues with TCI products?

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                    i can get an aod for 900 bucks that will handle 400hp......tci is crap
                    uh from where?

while a c6 has no overdrive, ive heard good things about its strength in stock or close to stock form.
                    a tci trans cant be any worse than a stock one..

Comment

Good point, a pal of mine told me a stock C6 can handle like 500-600hp. Not that that's required behind most Windsor builds ....

If you pulled one from one of the trucks you're seeing, how cheap can you get it rebuilt?

Oh yeah, be prepared for some headaches in the shift-linkage area ... Scott can tell you about that since he's got a C4 linkage I need to pay for once he gets that alternator tested ....

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                        Good point, a pal of mine told me a stock C6 can handle like 500-600hp. Not that that's required behind most Windsor builds ....

If you pulled one from one of the trucks you're seeing, how cheap can you get it rebuilt?

Oh yeah, be prepared for some headaches in the shift-linkage area ... Scott can tell you about that since he's got a C4 linkage I need to pay for once he gets that alternator tested ....
                        what kind of shift linkage headaches are we talking about? ive never really taken a very close look at it. if its similar to the e40d linkage, i think i could manage. would going to a floor shifter take care of the linkage complications?

Comment

E4OD is not gonna fit without some major sheetmetal massaging. I put a c6 in place of an aod in a truck and had no issues with the linkage.
                          1989 Grand Marquis LS
                          flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Oh, interesting. Did you just happen to get one that used the same style lever?

A floor shifter might kinda-sorta help ... in fact, most aftermarket shifters are intended primarily for C4/C6 applications and require a $40-$50 extra kit to bolt onto an AOD car conveniently. I like column shifters, though.

I think my two-door thread may have notes on the shift linkage stuff .... in a nutshell, the AOD linkage bellcrank didn't line up with the bracket on the transmission, the lever was pointing the wrong way, and that sort of thing.
                            Last edited by 1987cp; 06-10-2009, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Trans came out of a van. I dont remember what lever it had.
                              1989 Grand Marquis LS
                              flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Working...
                              X