New tires for my 1999

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New tires for my 1999

Well i orignally posted this on crownvic.net but its been months since i posted there and assumed things changed but all i get is smart-ass comments suggesting rsa's and the usually useless reply's

So i come to a forum that has sense
    This was the post i put there. These are my 3 options im looking at currently. Any of em you guys suggest?

My rear tires have seen better days time to replace.. Im looking between these 3 tires. They will be used year round in NYC. If they have to do any snow driving it will be in 3inchs or so max. so thats not really a issue.

I like to take the occasional bend every now and than also, so a stiff sidewall is a must.

First Tire im looking at is the Goodyear Eagle GT. ( good price and sportyish design)

2nd tire is Continental ContiExtremeContact (Looks like a all around good all season tire)

and 3rd is Goodyear Eagle ResponsEdge
    i like the looks of this tire's thread design and price isnt too bad

Any suggestions between these tires.
    Price isnt much of a issue and id like to stick between goodyear-continental-or BFGoodrich
    1999 CVPI
    Old Rides
    1988 Ford Mustang GT (trickflow stage 1)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (5.SLO)
    1989 Ford Thunderbird SC (3.8 Supacharged)

I personally like the Goodyear Eagle GT I think those are great tires.

But that Goodyear Eagle ResponsEdge looks rather interesting. I would think that would be a tire for all around weather situations. I dont think you can go wrong with either.

I ignored the Continental ContiExtremeContact because i only prefer Goodyears.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

not crazy about either of those brands, but if i had to choose from those three, i'd choose the eagle gt

my choices? you prob dont want to hear it lol, but i am also shopping for tires, and i run the same size on my towny (225/60/16)
      1: firestone firehawk gt
      http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=9
      2: bridgestone g 019 grid
      http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=8
      3: Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum
      http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=6

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

What size?

Comment

the conti's prolly wear pretty quick.

I always suggest reading up the reviews and tests on tirerack.com
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

What sort of driving conditions do you encounter? None of the tires in the first post have very good snow/ice ratings (similar to my Ecsta ASXs, which I can't run in the winter), so if NYC doesn't have a great snowplow system you may want a set of winter tires as well.
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Well NYC snow plowing is great. Like i said most i may encounter EVARR is 3inchs or so and it would only be a few miles. Stock size id like to stick with 225/60/16 Although up sizing to 245/50/16 isnt out of the question.

Im thinking about sticking to the Eagle GT's

And to the guy that recommended the firehawk tire. I did look around at other firehawk tires and there not too bad of a option.
              1999 CVPI
              Old Rides
              1988 Ford Mustang GT (trickflow stage 1)
              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (5.SLO)
              1989 Ford Thunderbird SC (3.8 Supacharged)

Comment

What do you think about 235-60-16? Standard size for TC limos, and my 16" tire of choice. In the 225-60-16 size the Yoko Avid TRZ is a great tire, grippy, quiet, good wet and snow traction, and excellent impact harshness reduction, but maybe too soft and comfy for your tastes. Out of the 3 you listed, the Eagle GTs would be my first choice and the Contis my very last. I have had a bunch of cars that came with Contis as OEM and never liked any one of them, although my Dad swears by them. I personally think they ruined his 5-Series. You just missed an awesome price for Michelin Pilot Sports at the Tire Rack, too. Maybe give them a call and see if there are 2 left.

One thing to consider, if you're just changing out the rear tires, you're most likely putting a gripper, more advanced tire on the back versus the older, more worn front tires, making the Panther's desire to understeer even worse.

Comment

Working...
                X