pi intake swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pi intake swap

my grandfather has a 97 lincoln town car. this past weekend it decided to crack and leak coolant everywhere. im trying to talk him into upgrading to the PI intake. i need to have a few questions answered, mostly for him, but some for myself.

1. is there any increase/decrease in fuel mileage with this swap
    2. will swapping to the PI intake mess with his little fuel mileage calculator in his dash...he loves this thing and is afraid it might mess with it
    3. what gaskets are best to use with this swap. npi or pi?
    4. is it necessary to cut the bracket off of the old coolant tube and use it in the swap, as ive read in the BOK write up
    5. is every manifold from 01+ an aluminum crossover manifold?
    6. what is the importance of the pi coolant nipple and the npi coolant nipple. it looks to me that either would work with either tube. what am i missing?

i think those are the only questions i have at this point, thanks a lot for any help!

tim
    1996 Mercury Grand Marquis - duals, PI cams, PI intake, J-Mod, MZT, BOC tune, 3.55s, 18in wheels
    1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero - 5.0 HO T5 Fun Cruiser
    http://www.supermotors.net/users/tmm313

Here is what I can answer:
    1) I heard that there is a performance HP gain but a loss of low end torque. Plus, there is not too many that have done this, especially on this application. Just to be safe- use the stock 192 degree T-stat.
    2) I do not depend on the electronics of the vehicle.
    3) I heard that one can use the PI gaskets with a fine coating of RTV
    4) not that I know of nor would try to modify one.
    5) Nope. some of the early ones still had the plastic water jacket.
    6) Which nipple?

I have a PI manifold that I got off of a Mustang. It looks like I'll have to modify it to make the wire boots to fit. I believe the Dorman manifold works for either wires or coils.
    '03 300b MM (My pride and joy until 8/9/13 @129k)

Comment

Done this swap on a couple mustangs:
      Parts list. http://forums.modulardepot.com/showthread.php?t=19879
      write-up: http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...-manifold.html
      But i prefer to use the PI intake gaskets and then the only RTV you need is on the waterjacket port, both either way works.

MPG should not change at all i was getting 20-21MPG in my GT with 4.10 gears.
      it shoulnd't effect your MPG calc. but if it does just take your trip miles and divide it by gallons you put in your car when u fill up.
      no need to cut anything off the old coolant tube, throw it away
      no . . . on mustangs i thought it was somewhere in the 01 model year but as i have found my 2001 GM is all plastic . . . GREAT!!!!!!
      The nipples are different sizes and wouldn't it suck to do such a great job on the RTV and get everything together and running awesome, only to get the sweet smell of hot coolant and pull everything apart again? I read about a few cars having non PI nipple that fit the PI tube but have not done this swap without needing to pull the pump and replacing the nipple.
      sigpic
      Wrecked - Non-pi 1998 Mustang GT Best ET = 13.36@ 101
      Just bought: 01 grand marq - 5th 4.6L and counting.

Comment

nipples are different sizes. use PI gaskets with rtv in the valleys and ends. panthers didnt get the PI treatment til 03. i think only the CVPI has the metal crossover in 02 but its not PI.
        86 Crown Vic LTD - MSD ignition, K&N filter, current motor rebuild
        98 Grand Marquis GS - michelin nitrogen filled tires, ceramic pads, PI mani swap, ACCEL ignition, custom ram intake, FRPP 70mm TB, trick flow plenum, lots more
        Future mods: ToNs MoRe
        2000 grand marquis LS - bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by Will [ALLDAY] View Post
          nipples are different sizes. use PI gaskets with rtv in the valleys and ends. panthers didnt get the PI treatment til 03. i think only the CVPI has the metal crossover in 02 but its not PI.
          Is that really true? everywhere i have read says that panthers got PI motors in 01. honestly askig because i just bought my 01 thinking it was PI
          sigpic

Comment

PI can mean two things: police interceptor and power(performance) improvement. npi the oil fill is on the right(driver) valve cover, pi the oil fill is on the left(passenger) valve cover.
            86 Crown Vic LTD - MSD ignition, K&N filter, current motor rebuild
            98 Grand Marquis GS - michelin nitrogen filled tires, ceramic pads, PI mani swap, ACCEL ignition, custom ram intake, FRPP 70mm TB, trick flow plenum, lots more
            Future mods: ToNs MoRe
            2000 grand marquis LS - bone stock

Comment

also, the pi intake has the number five runner to the front most position, npi, the number 1 runner is in the front.

i did finish the swap. i ended up using the npi gasket with the pi intake. i felt more confident that the rtv would hold up to the small amounts of vacuum better than it would to 16psi of pressure from the cooling system. i swapped out nipples and the pi coolant tube, no fooling with the bracket needed. while i had it all apart i decided to throw some PI cams in it too....woke it up a bit. although i lost some low end umph with my 2.73 gears. the 3.55s should go in this week providing i have time. i just got my maruader air box, 80 MM MAF and PI zip tube in the mail today with my xcal2.....now im just waiting on a tune......

im anxious to see what she does at the track....
              1996 Mercury Grand Marquis - duals, PI cams, PI intake, J-Mod, MZT, BOC tune, 3.55s, 18in wheels

Comment

Originally posted by tim marks View Post
                also, the pi intake has the number five runner to the front most position, npi, the number 1 runner is in the front.

i did finish the swap. i ended up using the npi gasket with the pi intake. i felt more confident that the rtv would hold up to the small amounts of vacuum better than it would to 16psi of pressure from the cooling system. i swapped out nipples and the pi coolant tube, no fooling with the bracket needed. while i had it all apart i decided to throw some PI cams in it too....woke it up a bit. although i lost some low end umph with my 2.73 gears. the 3.55s should go in this week providing i have time. i just got my maruader air box, 80 MM MAF and PI zip tube in the mail today with my xcal2.....now im just waiting on a tune......

im anxious to see what she does at the track....

Awesome my 98GT had just the intake, and cams swapped, as i remember, it idled rought for about 5 min untill the computer adjusted to the new parts. It's so much fun to suprise newer PI engined cars
                sigpic

Comment

nice!
                  is this your 96 or your grandfathers town car?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

this is on my 96. i did the intake swap on my gpas lincoln, but he stuck with the npi with aluminum crossover.

Comment

awesome!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Comment

im hoping to give you guys a run for your money at the strip....

Comment

i'm gonna take the mark 7

Comment

bummer. no town car?

Comment

i already know what the townie runs in the 1/4 mile........and it needs tires.....the 6 yr old lh30's are lumpy

Comment

Working...
                              X