Computer Tune?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computer Tune?

Does anyone have any experience with buying/using a performance computer programmer? More specifically, the one by JET?
    I was just wondering how much hp gain you can expect, if any... and whether or not it's worth buying for other reasons, other than just hp gain.

Thanks.
    2000 Grand Marquis - stock w/ 59,000 mi.

No personal experience, but Lonnie at Blue Oval Chips is almost universally considered the best guy to get a tune from in a 4.6 panther. You'll probably see gains in the 10RWHP range, plus being able to custom select (upon ordering and later, if you're ok with a computer) things like timing and shift points/firmness. Great customer service, tons of experience on these vehicles, and a real person known in the community that you can point a finger at if stuff effs up.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you use the "Firmer shift" option if there is one.

And X a trillion on the Blue Oval Chips recommendation.

Comment

PantherP74 on CVN has done some such twiddling with his '03 Grand Marquis, and he's having a lot of fun with it. Might give him a holler for some details of what he's done/had done. I think he would say it's very much worth it.
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by AKA_Rizzo View Post
          UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you use the "Firmer shift" option if there is one.

And X a trillion on the Blue Oval Chips recommendation.

NO FIRMER SHIFT... noted and thank you!

But why not?

Comment

probably too much pressure and it damages the trans.

A tuner on a bone stock car will not net much gain. Some money spent wisely in a few places, then add the tune will make for a fun ride.
            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by DonGuarana View Post
              NO FIRMER SHIFT... noted and thank you!

But why not?

The line pressures that the tune will increase as stated will burn it up.

Search Jmod, Thats a much safer way to achieve the same thing. The directions were written by Jerry .W , We was the lead designer er sumtin for the 4R70W.

Instead of trying to shoot more fluid thru the standard Valve Body spearator plate, The Jmod shows you how to open the hole and allow the the trans to breathe easier ( In a hydraulic sense)

Comment

I got my chip from dennis rienhart. He's kinda a prick but it seemed to wake my car up. A Mercury marauder airbox/ Mass air flow sensor would be best to combo with the tune.
                Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Thanks for all the info. From what you guys have all said, it seems that tuning the computer (whichever way I do it) will be better served after upgrading some other things first.

I'm gonna think about upgrading the exhaust and air intake first then.

Thanks again.

Comment

Ok, so I've been looking for an air intake for my car, but K&N doesn't seem to make anything for the Crown Vic's or the Grand Marquis.

I looked at K&N first because I really like the cold air kits I've gotten from them in the past, but I'm open to any brand that will get the job done. Problem is, I can't find anything from anyone.

Anyway, I was hoping somebody could point me in the right direction as to what can be done to these cars air intake-wise.

Comment

Originally posted by DonGuarana View Post
                      Ok, so I've been looking for an air intake for my car, but K&N doesn't seem to make anything for the Crown Vic's or the Grand Marquis.
                      http://www.adtr.net/shop.php?page=intake

Scroll down and see K&N.

I only recommend places I have used.

Comment

Originally posted by AKA_Rizzo View Post
                        http://www.adtr.net/shop.php?page=intake

Scroll down and see K&N.

I only recommend places I have used.

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

Comment

I deff recomend Lonnie at Blue Oval Chips . He made me a custom tune via the X-Cal3, and I swear it is like a night and day difference compared to the stock, crappy,2000 pcm tune. You wont be dissapointed with him and his products

85 LTC, Dark Canyon Red?/ 3.55 open/ HPP Wheels/ 4 Tone Horns/ ***POTM 5/2017*** SOLD
                          06 LTC, Silver Birtch, Fully Loaded [ The Daily ] ***POTM 4/2018
                          97 Mountaineer, 5.0 H.O. , 135k, Now with functioning window

89 LTC , Lowered, Straight Piped, (SOLD) 88 LTC (SOLD) Rough and Dirty, 2000 MGM, 2002 MGM, 96 MGM, 2005 MGM LSE (SOLD)

Comment

Working...
                          X