speaker installation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

speaker installation?

I've replaced dozens of speakers in guitar/bass enclosures but never in a car before - What's the wiring like?

In some amps it's been a situation where I can just unplug the wiring harness from the old speaker and plug it into the new ones, but in some cases I've had to solder connections. I've taken the speaker out of my door to have a look and it looks like I'll just be able to "plug and play" with the harnesses - Is that often the case? How about with the rear deck speakers? I'll probably replace those first..they sound like death compared to the door speakers (which are actually pretty beefy for 19 year old stock car drivers)
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

I would recommend installing all new speaker wire but many have been fine without it.

May i ask a favor? I would like some detailed pictures of your door speakers in the angled bezel and such. Go all out for me . They were only introduced on 90 and 91 models. Oh and some pics of how that angled bezel secures to the door.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Can do!

Basically what I'm asking is will the wiring harnesses already in there fit the terminals on new speakers?
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

lol I am sorry i dont know. My dad changed all of the speaker wire while he owned the car so i am not sure. Possibly if you remove the connectors from the two speaker leads there will be female spade connectors big and small? I have no idea.

And thanks for future pics!
        ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
          lol I am sorry i dont know. My dad changed all of the speaker wire while he owned the car so i am not sure. Possibly if you remove the connectors from the two speaker leads there will be female spade connectors big and small? I have no idea.

And thanks for future pics!

I can't promise the pics will exist in the near future - I don't know when I'm going to be able to get this done - But it will be well documented!
          sigpic

Comment

lol no prob.
            ~David~

Comment

Anyone else know about the wiring harness thing?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                Anyone else know about the wiring harness thing?
                they wont fit. you can make your own out of old ford speaker terminals or just cut it and direct connect it with solder
                What happened here?

Comment

how many wires are we talking per speaker?
                  sigpic

Comment

each speaker should have two wires.
                    ~David~

Comment

Originally posted by crown vic muscle View Post
                      they wont fit. you can make your own out of old ford speaker terminals or just cut it and direct connect it with solder
                      How do you make them? I can't solder. Explain it to me like I'm retarded

Buying a new set of 6x9s for the rear deck...do they come out up or under in the trunk?
                      sigpic

Comment

Under..at least on mine they were. You should have a rubber sling holding the current ones in place.
                        ~David~

Comment

You can cut the plugs off your old speakers and wire the new speaker wire into said plugs to not botch your factory harness. That is what I did. If you don't have premium sound you should be ok with the stock wiring, unless you are somehow running a large amp and using the factory wiring (wich would be near impossible and yield an interesting amp placement.) My harness is factory and its fine, I even have a sub with amp running off the head that hits pretty hard and I don't even notice a power drain or anything. They come out under the trunk, there is some sort of clip shit under the buckets (can't quite remember) the directions will tell you whats pos/neg and then you can look up what color wire is pos/neg for front and rear speakers. (the front pos/neg set should be different colors than the rears.) Its actually not that hard. If you can solder you can cut both clips off each end of the harness and use crimped male/female connectors. this will also work fine. (did that in my moms olds).
                          "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                          1985 GMC 1500

Comment

crimp connections will do fine, but soldering is a useful skill that you might want to learn. Never know when you may need it.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Werd I just recently learned to solder and now i just solder things for the hell of it.
                              ~David~

Comment

Working...
                              X