Ticking trans !!!!!!!!!!!! HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ticking trans !!!!!!!!!!!! HELP

HELP I was just cruising around today & my trans started ticking. I called the Hammond police department mechanic & he told me that the sound is definitely coming from the trans.

So how long do I have till she dies? Will I be able to make my trip up to see my mom in Minnesota?? (I live in Indiana)

Any ideas as to what exactly it is making the noise? Can it be fixed before she dies?? Do I just need to get a new trans?

BTW if you don't know she is a 1999 crown vic 4.6 Former squad car. up to this point there has been no problems at all.
    sigpic

ticking? can you be more specific? Does this happen only under certain conditions? does it change with engine speed or car speed? all gears, or only some?

Can't say I've heard a Ford trans tick before, usually its that moaning empty power steering noise.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Most of the time, a ticking noise from the trans area is a cat/exhaust cooling
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Well it stopped doing it after I posted this.

But If I had it parked & running it was ticking. If I put it in drive it would tick a little quieter BUT it would speed up when I gave it gas & would keep ticking in all the gears. I did even put it in reverse and she did the same thing fairly slow tick while stopped then would speed up if I gave it gas.

And it's not the exhaust cooling because it stops abruptly as soon as I turn off the car
        sigpic

Comment

sounds like the problem i'm having with my 87.. somehow the the bolts in the flywheel/TQ is hitting the aluminum back plate of the engine.

in your case, it could be as simple as the inspection cover..
          Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Now you've got me wondering .... my '87 is currently doing something similar. In my case, I'm pretty sure this flywheel was hitting the engine plate when it was installed in the wagon; when I put this engine in the sedan, I made sure to give the plate a little persuasion in hopes that it'd be less likely to be hitting. It's not the big annnoying scrapey/ringing noise I'd get at idle in the wagon, but just a smallish annoying ticking noise that seems to happen only at idle and only in gear.

I was relieved a while back, though, when a really serious-sounding scraping noise turned out to be nothing more than an errant transmission cooler line scraping on the harmonic balancer ...
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

So more than likely it is nothing to be too worried about. pretty much just look & see if anything is loose & everything should be ok.

But I am very very supprised that it started so suddenly & then after being parked for a few hours it seemed to go away. And since then there has been No noise at all.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cld783 View Post
                sounds like the problem i'm having with my 87.. somehow the the bolts in the flywheel/TQ is hitting the aluminum back plate of the engine.

in your case, it could be as simple as the inspection cover..

That's the problem I took off the cover right under the backing plate of the engine (I guess that's the inspection plate) It had scratches all the way accross & at some spots it had even wore all the way through. So I took it off & cut it in half so the bots don't come anywhere near it & I haven't heard the noise since.
                Thank's mangs
                sigpic

Comment

np.. thx for the follow up
                  Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Working...
                  X