Torque converter too high of a stall..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Torque converter too high of a stall..

This is a great thread that would look nice in a TRANSMISSION FORUM.
    Does anyone want to trade converters?
    I put the 3500 stall in the Marauder and it's poop. The cars performance, not the converter.
    anyone have a 2800-3000 stall they want to trade for?
    i either have to make more horsepower, or get another converter. unfortunately, my bank account will not support the purchasing of more horsepower. So i must get another converter. word.
    thanks for reading.
    and yes, it has to be functioning.

-Ryan S.
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
    Originally posted by pantera77
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Why in gods name would you put a 3500 stall in a stock STREET car! 3K is the recommended max for pretty much any street car.

This thread would look better in the WANTED TO BUY forum. :P
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Actually, I seen a lot of guys do the 3500 in the 4.6 cars with the 4R70W.
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

i dont have the power like He-Man.
        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
        97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--

Comment

If the car stalls to 3500, then its ok; its supposed to be that way. If it won't stall that high, and actually stalls lower than 3500, then you don't make the power required to stall it to 3500.

But, whether it is working properly or not, what is the useable power range of that engine? 1500-5000? My friend's Mk VIII used to rev to over 6000, stock, but it didn;t really make any power there. 3500 is a little steep, given your power range.

Live and learn, I suppose. Good luck finding some to trade.

At least the car is driveable again. Yay!
          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

What does a Torque converter do and what is the use of the stall?
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
              What does a Torque converter do and what is the use of the stall?
              Its a fluid coupling that connects the engine to the transmission.

Stalling refers to stepping on the brake (with the transmission in gear), and revving the engine up ('footbraking'). With a higher stall converter, you can bring the revs up to the rated stall speed, and launch the car closer to the power range, or right in the power range.
              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

So lets say you have a 3000 stall. I foot brake and the car wont spin the tires till 3000?
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

they will spin. with my stock converter, my wheels would break loose between 1800-2100 rpm.
                  i need a tune for this!!
                  03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

I think Scott has that one in his shop that PatFromJersey had. I think it was a stock Marauder converter, too. Pat brought it specifically for you.
                    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                      Its a fluid coupling that connects the engine to the transmission.

Stalling refers to stepping on the brake (with the transmission in gear), and revving the engine up ('footbraking'). With a higher stall converter, you can bring the revs up to the rated stall speed, and launch the car closer to the power range, or right in the power range.

Kinda close...the footbrakign comes close to about what the actual stall is.

Stall is a term that refers to the speed where the fluid coupling reaches a certain percentage of lock.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-p...converter1.htm

Comment

Actually, the lockup point can vary drastically from the rating, depending on the application. I suppose thats why people order custom made converters, tailored to their setup.

Lots of things can alter where the convert stalls to. I was recently reading in Hot Rod, where they built up a beater chevy truck. With an LSx, TH400, and 3.00 something rear gears, the stall speed was quite high. However, when they switched to 5.13 gears, the torque multiplication provided a much lower stall speed, which made it friendlier for the street (ironic, seeing as 5.13s are... not street friendly).

Engine power/ torque also affects where the lock up point occurs.

Comment

ok, so i let it sit for 2 days. Got in it last night, and all that "slipping and non-engaging" crap is gone. i turned OD off, punched the pedal, made 1.21 Gigawatts, and went into the future.
                          Holy hell.
                          After about 10 minutes or so, the slipping and crap came back.
                          I think i have either too much or too little fluid. i'm working on getting it right.
                          I'll continue my escapades after work.
                          -Ryan S.

p.s.- Thanks to the admin who fixed my improper grammar in the title. I was in a fit of anger and forgot the other o.
                          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Marauder= ROCKET
                            I'm ready for SF09!!!! Woooo!!!
                            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

rockets are short lived and usually explode....and not very reusable.

Glad you got it sorted!

Comment

Working...
                              X