converters and govenors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

converters and govenors

so im trying to think of hte best combo of a govenor and converter for my car. i was thinking on a mustang govenor and a 2000 stall converter and a shift kit but i wasnt sure how big of a difference a 2000 stall is over a stock lopo aod converter?

i was also wondering if a mustang might have a stock converter with a higher stall?

i was gonna run either 3.55's or 3.73's when the funds were there too

my motor combo si

E7 heads but i plan on getting a set ported
    holley 4160 600cfm
    performer rpm air gap
    ford E cam
    sock bottom end rebuilt

im gonna add a 1" carb spacer roller rockers and an underdrive pulley too

figure id add that ive held 1st gear and mashed it a few times and it seems to pull till like 5800 or so. so i guess id want it to shift around 5500 or so at wot
    Last edited by import convert; 07-03-2009, 12:27 AM.

Easiest solution for your transmission is to buy and install the full TransGo AOD-HP "reprogramming" kit that includes their 5000rpm governor mod (I'm currently observing shift points around 5200rpm). Provided your transmission is in acceptable condition to start with, that should be all you need.

Guys don't recommend manually holding a gear on a stock AOD because, if I remember the explanation correctly, only one out of the two First gear bands are grabbing when you dump the gear selector back down into "1". Possibly I'm getting the number of bands wrong, but the short of it would seem to be premature band failure (read: slippage!).

Before you up and order a torque converter from B&M or some similar source, PM Lincolnmania for the name of the eBay guy he gets his converters from. He reported cheaper prices and better quality.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

torque converter on the Mustang has the same stall as the 5.0L panther chassis.

I have the B&M torkmaster 2000 in my car and its no real improvement over stock.
      Basically, the B&M converter is just a rebuilt/re-stalled stock, 13" torque converter. thats why its so cheap. you could have the stock converter re-stalled. 2500 rpm is the maximum you can have a stock converter stalled.

With the E cam... your gonna want a torque converter with more stall.
      something with a 2400 stall range should wake your car up.
      2600-2800 stall might do better, if you dont care about loosing drivability and fuel mileage.

more stall, smaller diameter converter = more $$$$
      2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
      89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
      88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq View Post
        more stall, smaller diameter converter = more $$$$
        Usually true, though Scott claims to be able to buy 2400-stall converters for not much more than your TorkMaster 2000. Wish I'd known him when I bought mine!
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
          Usually true, though Scott claims to be able to buy 2400-stall converters for not much more than your TorkMaster 2000. Wish I'd known him when I bought mine!
          I am assuming these are from the guy(s) in florida... all he does is restall stock 13" converters, which are prone to ballooning if they get too hot.

both B&M and lentech offer 11" converters, both are non-lockup, which will hurt fuel mileage a tad, but offer increase strength and less breakage.
          typically the 11" converters are 2400 rpm stall range, but lentech will do a custom stall.
          they start in the $400 range and go up.

several companies, including Lentech, offer a 10" converter. typically they go 2600-2800 rpm stall range. Lentech will do a custom stall for your application.

If you are serious about torque converters, get a Precision Industries 9.5" converter... they will stall it at any speed you want. prices start at $1,000
          2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
          89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
          88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

well i found a guy on ebay that has converters at like 126$. upposed to be a 2000-2600 stall

Comment

Originally posted by import convert View Post
              so im trying to think of hte best combo of a govenor and converter for my car. i was thinking on a mustang govenor and a 2000 stall converter and a shift kit but i wasnt sure how big of a difference a 2000 stall is over a stock lopo aod converter?

i was also wondering if a mustang might have a stock converter with a higher stall?

i was gonna run either 3.55's or 3.73's when the funds were there too

my motor combo si

I'M BUYING GT40P HEADS INSTEAD, YAY! I CURSE E7 HEADS TO THE SEVEN LOWER HELLS!
              holley 4160 600cfm
              performer rpm air gap
              ford E cam
              stock bottom end rebuilt

I'm gonna add a 1" carb spacer, roller rockers, and an underdrive pulley, too.

I thought it would be a truly splendid idea to mention in a most celebratory manner that I've wandered well into the land of valve-float make-believe, and mashed it a few times, opened my mouth and made loud vrooming noises just like the engine, and it seems to pull till like 5800 or so, just like a real race engine! So I guess I'd want it to shift around 5500 or so at Wide Open Loud Pedal.
              There, I fixed that for you.

1. If you're going to run a carb, you need at least a 2400-rpm stall convertor. I know I'm sounding like a broken record....but a B&M 2400-rpm Holeshot NON-LOCKING convertor isn't a bad unit for the price....and starts out at around $319.99 new. I've picked up a few used off of Ebay for around $100-$150 shipped.

Almost all of the turd 'restalled' convertors still lock up in 3rd and 4th, producing quite a lovely rpm drop between 2nd and 3rd....and they balloon due to being a stamped piece of crap.

2. You're wasting your time with E7 heads. Seriously. I know a former babbling poster here enjoyed getting sexual about how great and wonderful E7 heads are....especially after receiving kickbacks from his buddy who ports them and makes 'race' heads out of the E7's....but the P heads are superior right out of the box....which means you really don't even have to mess with porting them.

Problem Solved.

Comment

There's a guy on eBay that I got my 2400 from for the Linc. Went down to his shop in spring hill with scott and picked it up from him. Good work and shop. Wouldn't hesitate to buy from him again. I think the name was Morandon Transmissions

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post

2. You're wasting your time with E7 heads. Seriously. I know a former babbling poster here enjoyed getting sexual about how great and wonderful E7 heads are....especially after receiving kickbacks from his buddy who ports them and makes 'race' heads out of the E7's....but the P heads are superior right out of the box....which means you really don't even have to mess with porting them.

Problem Solved.
                  cours then ill need to get new headers cause of the the weird plug angle. course i could just get plain gt40 heads. thene i got 5 E7 heds to get rid of which incudes the set on my car now

Comment

cours then ill need to get new headers cause of the the weird plug angle. course i could just get plain gt40 heads. thene i got 5 E7 heds to get rid of which incudes the set on my car now
                    Those headers you get due to the weird plug angle?

Yeah. They are worth it. My GT40P heads kick ass. There's a reason they are the best factory iron SBF head.
                    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

dont the gt40p heads have a different spark plug angle then E7 heads and gt40 heads? i heard theres a specific header you have to get for the gt40p heads. i got a set of hooker shorties on my car now

Comment

dont the gt40p heads have a different spark plug angle then E7 heads and gt40 heads? i heard theres a specific header you have to get for the gt40p heads. i got a set of hooker shorties on my car now
                        The Ford Motorsport shorty headers.

Problem Solved.

Comment

yea. then i gotta sell my hooker headers that cost me 500 dollars. eh guess itd e worht it in the end.

so a 2400 stall is recomended and a transgo kit and no lockup.

Comment

yea. then i gotta sell my hooker headers that cost me 500 dollars.

Unless you got stainless full length headers you got ripped off bro.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
                            My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

unless im thinking of hte cost with hte mustang pipes i got at the same time. ill have to make sure what it was. i hate when i forget things

Comment

Working...
                              X