Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attempting to install a new headunit

Let's start with some info on my car:
    1986 Grand Marquis Station Wagon with Digital Factory Radio, 'Premium Sound', and other exciting/mystifying options.

Ordered the head unit from crutchfield (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_020CZ10...9.html?tp=5684), along with the wiring harness, mounting kit, and this thing. Crimped everything together, bypassing the PAC for the left and right rear negs and pos's. Put front speaker lines thru the adapter, yata yata yata. Put the front speaker positives to their appropriate wires, and put the front negatives, along with the ground to the 'common ground' wire on the harness (Used the multimeter for this to make sure i wouldn't be messing things up). Amp turnon, etc. Plug the radio in, no flames: yes!. Turn it on, sounds promising. Music. Back speakers only. What gives?

I've attempted looking through the forums for people using crutchfield or this strange adapter, but almost all i've read of is people rewiring to the front speakers. Is there any easy way to get the factory amp working so that there's no rewiring? Or should I settle in for rewiring the front speakers?
    Last edited by RndmTaco; 07-03-2009, 04:45 PM. Reason: Link for 'this thing' broken

1986 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Colony Park
    Ford 5.0L EFI

I wouldn't call it 'settling', you'd be doing yourself a favor - re-wire the rears too.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Any tips for someone that has no idea what they're doing? Also, is it a correct assumption that using the adapter is fruitless if the speakers were to be rewired? Thanks for the quick reply!

Ford 5.0L EFI

Comment

You can use the power side of the adapter harness if you want - I would just use the memory and key-on power, and run an independent ground to the chassis somewhere. You might have a set of ground tabs on your firewall behind the center hump.
        Im guessing you have power antenna - that should be in the power side of the adapter harness too.

Your head unit should have a wiring diagram telling you which speaker wires coming out of it go to which speaker... are you using the stock speakers? If you have four speakers up front, you can wire the 2 for each side both to each front output from the head unit IF it can handle a 2ohm load (the HU specs should tell you this) assuming the factory speakers are 4ohm speakers. This should be stamped on the speaker magnet somewhere.
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Not sure what ground tabs look like, but there's a metal plate-type thing right under the radio that seems to have a good ground. I do have the power antenna, but it's controlled by a switch right above the tailgate window switch.

Everything is stock, including speakers, radio (for now anyways), and the factory amp that i'm told is hidden behind the left rear quarter panel. There are four speakers up front (2 dash, two doors). No clue what their resistance is, but i'm going to take apart the front passenger door in a few minutes to check out the door lock actuator (another project) so i can look then.

If pictures would help, I'd be happy to oblige.

Ford 5.0L EFI

Comment

Right door speaker, in all it's glory.

Ford 5.0L EFI

Comment

Scratch it all, it's done. After speaking to the gentleman on the phone with crutchfield, we both decided it would be easier, and probably sound the same to bypass the factory amp. He helped me find this connector in the passenger's side kick panel:

The side of the connector with the clip has 2 connectors where there are 2 wires of the same color going into one connector. One of the wires from each comes from the amp, one from each goes to the door speaker using this gizmo:

So i cut the two wires that did NOT go to this (wht, grn stripe, and grn, orange stripe) and used the stubs that were left going into the connector to attach speaker wire to there straight from the radio. Also on the connector are a lt blue, wht stripe wire, and another wire right next to it that i can't remember the color... Anyways, cut those two, and bring speaker wire straight to the radio, for the LEFT speakers. (I used the battery pop test to make sure i had the wires right)

I also believe i found the ground tabs that 85crown was referring to:
              (up in the driver's foot well, somewhere near the center console)

Grounded the radio on that, plugged everything in to test it and it works beautifully. The new radio now resides in the car.

Hopefully this post can help someone else =)

Ford 5.0L EFI

Comment

Sounds like you got it figured out - Ive never messed with the premium sound stuff... you done good!
                Those are some handy ground tabs.
                sigpic

Comment

My ground tabs are filled up.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

what ever you do ,dont use the factory amp, i blew a 250 dollar deck trying that trick with my TC, i ran all my own wires and am now completly satisfied stereo runs great and best of all i also have room for options like an amp when i decide to add one.
                    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Originally posted by zoomie View Post
                      what ever you do ,dont use the factory amp, i blew a 250 dollar deck trying that trick with my TC, i ran all my own wires and am now completly satisfied stereo runs great and best of all i also have room for options like an amp when i decide to add one.
                      Is this true?
                      88 MGM 5.0 stock

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                        My ground tabs are filled up.
                        And you don't have a small drillbit and some ring terminals and sheetmetal screws?

Comment

Now it's my turn...

I just attempted to install a Clarion HU in my '87 premium sound wagon....
                          I am sure all the wiring is correct. I am using a 4 channel floating ground converter.

There is no power to the unit.

Ground is good.

Power is good.

The only question I have is re: the OR/WH illumination lead, it is currently connected to the OR/WH dimmer lead on the adapter not the OR illumination lead. Is this a prob?

I hope it is not fried, when I re-install the fact. unit it works fine...

Any Ideas?

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

nice, i will be doing this very shortly my self on my 85 colony park(the twin to your 86 wagon)

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Working...
                            X