Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

speedo gear/governor/rev limiter locations??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

speedo gear/governor/rev limiter locations??

Been doing searches and reading about these 3 things.
    Apparently they are best gotten from a Mark VII?

But where are they on the car? (pics would be nice)
    -And are they hard to get off? (and put onto my car?)

I think the speedo gear is on the LH side of the tailshaft?
    No idea on the other 2.

There is a 1990 lincoln mark VII (parts car) sittin' out back. Belongs to my father-in-law.
    I was going to take the top-end off the motor but things have changed.

Car has axle code "5" so That is 3.27 open, yes?
    Was thinking maybe I should get the ring+pinion as well as the speedo gear/governor/rev limiter.

I want to eventually do gears and a trac-lok on my CV.

The 3 ratio's I'm considering are 3.27/3.55/3.73.

I think the 3.73's would actually be best for me, but gears are pricey and these would be free. They do have 168k on them though.

Perhaps I would be better off to get gears from a ranger/exlporer 8.8 instead?
    Ranger would probably be better as most of those are 28 spline (if I find one with LSD).

One thread I read here said that there are 7 and 8 tooth gears that are used in AOD's in conjuction with the speedo gear, so just because I get a speedo gear and R+P out of the same car does not nessessarily mean that it will work right in my car?
    Last edited by andymac0035; 07-03-2009, 06:49 PM. Reason: typos
    Former panther owner
    1981 CV 351 4bbl
    1991 CV 302 EFI

IIRC the shift governor is inside the tail shaft, and there is no rev limiter. The speedo gear is on the end of the speedo cable at the left rear of the trans like you said.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Doesn't matter, gears are gears.

Depends on your skills, since these are very basic questions. So, yes difficult, these are very invasive to get to and very delicate to setup and install.

No idea on the other 2.
      Yes, side of tailhousing. Governor is internal to trans on the tailshaft. Speed limter is aerodynamics and horsepower.

There is a 1990 lincoln mark VII (parts car) sittin' out back. Belongs to my father-in-law.

Was thinking maybe I should get the ring+pinion as well as the speedo gear/governor/rev limiter.
      Yes. Maybe. Are you doing and HO swap? If not, the governor is not needed, and will be detremental to drivability.

I think the 3.73's would actually be best for me, but gears are pricey and these would be free. They do have 168k on them though.

Gears are gears.

Ranger would probably be better as most of those are 28 spline (if I find one with LSD).

One thread I read here said that there are 7 and 8 tooth gears that are used in AOD's in conjuction with the speedo gear, so just because I get a speedo gear and R+P out of the same car does not nessessarily mean that it will work right in my car?
      Yes, that is correct.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

If you install used gears they need to be set up exactly as they were in the previous vehicle (which is not as simple as it sounds) if you want quiet and smooth operation. Just how important it is to get them the same depends on how many miles - gears that weren't used very long won't make much of a difference. However, a ring & pinion with 170k will have been worn into a very exact pattern in relation to eachother. If removed and reinstalled they must put back in the same exact way or else they'll howl like a pack of wolves, and possibly vibrate. New gears aren't that expensive either...

Setting up gears also requires some (somewhat expensive) special tools that aren't found in everyone's toolbox. This means regardless you're going to be spending a bit of money to do it properly. If you're not truly insistant on doing this job yourself I'd recommend having a good shop install them instead.
        Last edited by CheeseSteakJim; 07-03-2009, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
          Doesn't matter, gears are gears.
          I was refering to the 3 items in the title, but thanks, I get the idea about gears.

Depends on your skills, since these are very basic questions, I'm gonna assume your skills aren't that great. So, yes difficult, these are very invasive t oget to and very delicate to setup and install.
          Yes sir, I hate to say it but I'm no mechanic. I'm good at general maintenance and fair at replacing the basic stuff. Heck, sometimes I actually surprise myself. What I'm pretty good at is researching what I do BEFORE I tear into something. No intentions of installing gears myself. Just debating slavaging some parts (if I can). (cause they would be free)

No idea on the other 2.
          Yes, side of tailhousing. Governor is internal to trans on the tailshaft. Speed limter is aerodynamics and horsepower.
          Ah......so there is no speed limited "fuel shut-off" on my car? (if so I like that).

Yes. Maybe. Are you doing and HO swap? If not, the governor is not needed, and will be detremental to drivability.
          So, the governor is what controls the max shift rpm then. That I understand. I did read that there were 3 types.
          4200=LOPO
          4500=truck (I'm guessing on that rpm, can't quite remember)
          4800=HO

I sooooooo want to do an HO swap, but it's just not in the cards right now.
          My 302 seems to be in real good shape and runs good. Just can't bring myself to tear it apart......well that and I plain ol' just can't afford to chance screwing it up right now.

Gears are gears.
          I get that (and seriously thanks), but I've never seen/heard of 3.73's in a ford car from the factory since the 70's. I honestly don't know if it would be easier in the long run to look for a ranger 8.8 with an LSD (spline count DOES matter here, yes?), or just find the gearset I want and buy a brand-new diff. for it.

I do know that it would be best to do gears and limited slip at the same time.
          No sence paying someone to take things apart twice.

Yes, that is correct.
          If it helps, my plans/wants for the car (short-term) are:

2.25" duals with H-pipe
          limited slip rear diff
          Lower axle ratio
          225/70/15 tires

Most of my driving is not on the highway, but I still want to be able to use the car for the occasional long trip. If I can cruise along @ 65-70 with 3.73's at a reasonable rpm then that would be great. If not then I probably should grab those 3.27's since they would be free. I intend to drive this car year-round as my DD.

PS-thanks for your patience, I know I'm asking a lot of questions.
          Former panther owner
          1981 CV 351 4bbl
          1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSteakJim View Post
            If you install used gears they need to be set up exactly as they were in the previous vehicle (which is not as simple as it sounds) if you want quiet and smooth operation. Just how important it is to get them the same depends on how many miles - gears that weren't used very long won't make much of a difference. However, a ring & pinion with 170k will have been worn into a very exact pattern in relation to eachother. If removed and reinstalled they must put back in the same exact way or else they'll howl like a pack of wolves, and possibly vibrate. New gears aren't that expensive either...

Setting up gears also requires some (somewhat expensive) special tools that aren't found in everyone's toolbox. This means regardless you're going to be spending a bit of money to do it properly. If you're not truly insistant on doing this job yourself I'd recommend having a good shop install them instead.
            No intentions of doing it myself.

There are 2 mechanics that come to mind for doing the job.

First guy runs the garage around the corner from me (and since I live off the beaten path, that's VERY conveinient), I basically live "in the middle of no-where".......errr Grafton, NH.
            This guy is a ford-man (he has a 5.0 HO ranger BTW), but I don't think he's done too many gear swaps. He suggested I find the (used) gears I want and bring the whole axle to him. This garage has treated me well so far.

Second guy's garage is quite a ways away (in my home town). BUT, I know him (went to school with him) and he put the auburn gear LSD in the 99' ranger I used to have. He's done many axle-jobs on fox mustangs. I trust his work.
            Former panther owner
            1981 CV 351 4bbl
            1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

The only fuel shutoff is at 6250 RPM. That's a rev limter, not a speed limiter.

Leave the governor alone until you do the HO swap. You can get it from a HO powered car. It's not that easy to get to. Gotta pull the driveshaft and tailhousing off, which isn't the easiest thing to do in a JY. Shift kits have replacement springs for the governor which adjust the WOT shift point.

Yeah, pretty much only trucks have the 3.73s, ranger/explorers are very good candidates for donors. Problem is the explorers (and later rangers) are 31 spline. (so not good to find the limited slip diff) I might mention that the factory diffs are pretty cheap new-like 245 bucks, which is pretty reasonable since the good rebuild kit is 110 bucks.

The speedo gears are dirt cheap to buy new. Don't worry too much about finding one in a yard.

I've got 27" tall tires and 3.73s and I cruise fine at above 70. Before and after the motor swap. It's a great all around gear, though I think I'd really like 3.31s (I've got a wide ratio AOD)

Thanks for actually doing some research!

Comment

I did not know I could buy speedo gears new (thanks).

Oh yes, I do indeed want a shift kit. But since half the bolts to my tranny pan are frozen badly that's a ways away (I've tried all the usual methods, they were ALL stuck when I started). I wanted to change the fluid/filter, but don't feel like drilling+tapping on my back. Fluid is still red and it shifts normal (for an AOD).....(LOL).
                I'll have a tranny shop take care of things when the time comes.

I've owned 2 rangers (99+02) and have been on ranger forums for years. I knew about the exporer's having 31 splines. There are very few rangers with 31 spline axles and they are the sought after 02' FX4's and 03-up level II FX4's. They all come factory with torsen diffs. I know this as my 02' was an FX4 (the one with the crome retro-style shifters). They actually use a narrowed F-150 8.8 axle. (just wanted to pass that on).

Thanks for the input on the gears. I guess I'm not taking anything off that parts car then......well except the throttle cable, since my father-in-law damaged the one on his 88 mark VII trying to get the old TV bushing out (to put the brass one in).

He was getting ready to get rid of the parts car when I got my CV. He said I could have anything I wanted off of it. But one of his friends is looking for an engine to stuff into an RX-7. He knows what he's doing......so rather than gut half the parts off a running HO, just to store them away for who-knows-how-long, I figured I'd let his friend do it up right. I was hoping he wanted to go carbed (and take the upper intake for myself), but he wants to keep it FI so.......
                Former panther owner
                1981 CV 351 4bbl
                1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

The only fuel shutoff is at 6250 RPM. That's a rev limter, not a speed limiter.
                  And you'll never in your lifetime actually get a lopo to spin that high in gear, unless maybe you held it in first gear and stood on the pedal. Beyond that, it just doesn't have enough ass to spin that high with a load on it.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thain, it'll never turn that high, it will float the valves at a little over 5K. The only way to do it is jamming it in 1st going very fast, and that might just break the drivetrain....if it will actually downshift (you'd need a shiftkit that allows manual shifting)

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      And you'll never in your lifetime actually get a lopo to spin that high in gear, unless maybe you held it in first gear and stood on the pedal. Beyond that, it just doesn't have enough ass to spin that high with a load on it.
                      If pinky runs maybe we have a candidate to find out if it is possible or not at scottfest.
                      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

It's not gonna happen... and that motor is decent, don't need to blow it up.

Comment

Oh definitely no need to destroy a good working motor, i just thought the whole car was thrashed. My bad.
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Thain, it'll never turn that high, it will float the valves at a little over 5K. The only way to do it is jamming it in 1st going very fast, and that might just break the drivetrain....if it will actually downshift (you'd need a shiftkit that allows manual shifting)
                            I think it actually would downshift (to 2nd). Of course I don't know how fast you mean by "really fast". But you may find this one interesting.

So, in about 1990......I'm driving my 1981 crown vic (351 transplant) on the interstate. I recall (at the time) reading somewhere that if you floor an AOD it will always downshift from OD unless you are going over 100 mph......well I was doing 80 or so IIRC......and stomped it. Car didn't downshift.....I got "annoyed" about it and proceded to downshift it manually.
                            Well.....in my enthousiasm to pull the shifter down I pulled it all the way down to low.....and looked in shock as my mini-tach started shooting skyward....while at the same time letting off the throttle and putting the lever back up to drive.

Scared the crap out of me....and had me glancing at tho oil pressure guage all the way home. The guy that did my 351 swap did not do the best job so I dunno if that had anything to do with it or not.
                            Former panther owner
                            1981 CV 351 4bbl
                            1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

yeah, it'll downshift to 2nd, but not first at high speed, which is still enough to do some damage!

Comment

Working...
                              X