Help, 1992 GM Shifter Linkage Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help, 1992 GM Shifter Linkage Problem

My moms 1992 Grand Marquis is having shifter linkage problems! The car gets stuck in park. My mom has complained about not being able to get the car out of park, then I go to see what's wrong and the car goes into gear. It has happen a couple of times, but this time its stuck. We can get the car out of park with the car not running start in neutral and then go. What's wrong with the car? What to look for? Any help would be appriciated.

(Sorry if posted in wrong area, new to Grand Marquis)

sounds like an adjustment issue or something is worn out. I'd check the linkage and see if it has any slop in it. Under the hood, the linkage is under the steering column.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I'd also check the solenoid that disengages the gear selector lock, it is mechanically bypassed when the key is in the not quite run position but when the key is in the run position it will look for a signal telling it that the brake pedal is depressed and it is ok to allow gear changes. next time it messes up and won't come out of park keep your foot on the brakes and have someone check to make sure the brake lights are working, if they are and its still not coming out of park the problem is elsewhere (bad connection, solenoid going bad, bad ground)
      just some ideas, hope these help
      1999 Grand Marquis
      sigpic

Comment

Dumb ass me! it was the brake light on and off switch. I had no brake light and that was the cars way of telling me! Thanks for all help on this case, Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by jglover View Post
          Dumb ass me! it was the brake light on and off switch. I had no brake light and that was the cars way of telling me! Thanks for all help on this case, Jeff
          Yeah, that's tied into the shifter. It won't let you shift without stepping on the brake. You're lucky no one hit the car on the road.

Comment

Glad ya got it figured out and i agree with 86vickylx on people not hittin your car. I was behind someone i knew in college who had no brake lights and i almost hit him, he had no park or brake lights.
            1999 Grand Marquis
            sigpic

Comment

They do the blackout mod in the UP, paint the truck all flat black (so it don't reflect light) then put the quietest mufflers you can find, and wire up a switch for the brake lights - going down the road into stealth mode all you will hear is the tires humming, you may also notice the dim light from the small fog lights but that's about it - apparently that setup works great for disappearing into the fields or in the forests when the boys in blue are on your tail...

Comment

Working...
              X