wide ratio vs stock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wide ratio vs stock

i was curious as to what the benifit is of a wide ratio aod over a stock one? also what parts are recomened if i wanted to have a wide ratio aod put together, like if i should get a different servo and wider bads and stuff like that?

iwouldn't worry too muich about the servo, Ihave an A servo and it hits so hard...As for the wider bands, that's the norm on the WR drum.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

The A servo was really intended for the narrower band. You get more clamping force either by using a bigger servo, or just using a larger band. You can do both, but as mentioned its not entirely needed, and it does give a rather firm OD shift.

Mostly the benifit is in the gearing. First and second are lower, so you have better off the line performance without changing the rear or giving up much in the way of highway economy. OD is a bit lower, but its not a big amount. There is a sticky somewhere around here with a final drive ratio of both transmissions side by side using various rear axle gears.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

ahhh. so is there a certain place to get the gears? like should any performance tranny place sell this stuff or is it a search and youll find thing?

how much is the average cost of this stuff too?

Comment

it's called pick up a used 4r70w trans for the stuff

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

so im really just using the 4r70w for the internals. i thought someone made parts you could by. i didnt htink it was parts from another tranny

alright so i found a list of gear ratios and it does look like it could be a big jump. now do you change all 4 gear sets or just 1st 2nd and 4th?

i saw another thing bout messing with the valvebody and different shift kits. i was thinking bout using a forward manual with htis tranny too.
            Last edited by import convert; 07-10-2009, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Yeah... wide ratio is the entire gear set.
              basically you are putting the wide ratio guts in your AOD case, mainly for the gear set, but also because there are upgraded/improved parts... like the 2" OD band and related parts.

The stock/AOD valve body works, but with the wide ratio gear set it cause an early 2/3 shift, even with a shift kit.
              LenTech offers a modification on his valve bodies to help this, but I am not clear on what is done exactly.
              2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
              89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
              88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

so i take it ill need the rebuild kit for a 4r70w then? if it causes early shifts then i guess itd be a good idea for the forward amnual valvebody then

Comment

Originally posted by import convert View Post
                  so i take it ill need the rebuild kit for a 4r70w then? if it causes early shifts then i guess itd be a good idea for the forward amnual valvebody then
                  Yes .. and No.

you are using most of the hard parts from the 4R70W, however there are still seals and some small pieces that specific the AOD.

havent seen a forward manual valve body, but then whats the point?
                  its called an AUTOMATIC transmission for a reason.

If you want to shift gears, get a manual transmission.
                  2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                  89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                  88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

so youre saying any automatic transmission that you can manually shift is pointless? then all hte money that these topend car companies spend to make a tranny with a paddle shift shift in thousands of a second is dumb? or all the drag racers that use an auto with a manual valvebody should go manual?

i know its all personal opinion but still i dont want to hear what you think i should do cause its what youd do i just want to know what i need to do to make a wide ratio aod and one of hte htings was to change the valvebody and a forward manual isnt a bad idea. nothing here bout me putting a 5spd in the car.

Comment

figured id resurect this thread and get more specific with it cause i want to do this on my aod rebuild. i know i need a rebuild kit for a 4r70w and i know i need some aod stuff.

do i just need the seal kit, pump seals, valve body gasket and a tail shaft seal for the aod?

as for the tail shaft, i figure id use 4r70w shaft or am i wrong on that?

Comment

Originally posted by import convert View Post
                        figured id resurect this thread and get more specific with it cause i want to do this on my aod rebuild. i know i need a rebuild kit for a 4r70w and i know i need some aod stuff.

do i just need the seal kit, pump seals, valve body gasket and a tail shaft seal for the aod?

as for the tail shaft, i figure id use 4r70w shaft or am i wrong on that?
                        If you are running a stock 302....I'd leave the stock gear ratio in the tranny, and simply put bigger rear gears in the rear end (3.73 or 4.10). The 302 is not a torque powerhouse, and would not benefit more from a wider rpm range between gear shifts, which is what would happen if you tossed the wider gearset into the AOD. In addition....unless it's installed correctly....and the valvebody 'corrected' for the new gearset....it doesn't work too well.

If you had a good-running 351....then I'd say go for it. The wide-ratio set would work with the bigger engine. As it is, I'd just stick with the regular gearset in the AOD, unless you plan on tossing in a 351, and put lower gears in the rear to help with the launch.

Comment

the 302 isnt stock and yea i was gonna run 3.73s or 4.10s. the tranny thats gonna get rebuilt has over 230k on it and the last year of its life it was low on fluid and the tranny itself never had a flush/filter change. it got the the point that 4th was gone and then 3rd would slip and then make a bad noise if you reved it to try and get it to shift.

so basically id want swap out the internals since i figured theyd be no good. i was gonna use a tci forward manual with it anyways

Comment

Wide ratio works great with all engines. You don't have to have a 351 to gain anything. In fact, a 302 is better for a wide ratio, as it revs faster. But either way it's all just drops in a bucket, as the different in what you gain with a 302 vs a 351 is negligible. What really matters is that you are gaining a ton of low speed acceleration.

As was stated earlier, 1st, 2nd and 4th gear are higher ratios (much more so 1st than 2nd or 4th) so it will feel like you have changed the rear end gears when you take off from a light, but it will still feel almost exactly the same at highway speeds. 3rd is the same ratio.

The percentages that the gears change are as follows:
                            1st: 18.4%
                            2nd: 5.3%
                            3rd: 0.0%
                            4th: 4.9%

So when you are cruising on the highway in OD, your engine will be spinning 4.9% faster. And when you take off from a light, your engine will rev 18.4% faster. In real world this means that your car will accelerate about 10% faster in 1st gear, and very slightly faster in 2nd and 4th.
                            Last edited by Blaze86Vic; 04-14-2010, 01:26 PM.

Comment

so really if you can do it its worth it? now what must be done to get the shifts right besides getting a lentech valve body? i want to either use a tci forward manual valve body or thier anti scat VB and get a high rev kit

Comment

Working...
                              X