Manually shift an AOD? (normal driving)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manually shift an AOD? (normal driving)

Please forgive the n00b question but I have only just recently re-joined the "automatic world".

The AOD does not like to down shift from 3rd to 2nd.......I know this and have accepted it.

.......But do I have to give the throttle a good stab every time I get impatient waiting for a needed downshift?
    Or can I pull it down into "1" as long as I'm not going slow enough to get 1st (below 30mph right)?

I'm trying hard to be good to my AOD. I don't use OD unless it's over 50mph and I try to do that under throttle so the tranny will do the shift on it's own after I've moved the shifter.

Also, the other day I floored doing like 55mph and it wouldn't down shift (from 3rd)
    Usually I punch it around 40-50 and it does, so this kinda' surprised me.
    Would it have been safe to kick it down manually?

I'm not talking about holding the gears once it downshifts, I'm happy with my WOT shift points........just not so thrilled with the downshifts.

Thanks
    Former panther owner
    1981 CV 351 4bbl
    1991 CV 302 EFI

Sounds normal. Over 50 or so, it won't downshift to second if the pressure is set properly.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks,

But is it okay to manual downshift my AOD on a regular basis?

Seems ridiculous to give it 3/4 throttle (or more) to get it into 2nd gear.....because once it's downshifted it only needs like 1/2 throttle to go up the hill it's climbing.

I'm usually doing about 40-ish when I want it to downshift on this hill BTW.
      Former panther owner
      1981 CV 351 4bbl
      1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

it's supposed to go to 2nd if you put it in 1st over 25mph.. I've never tried it myself though, too scared it will go to 1st and explode

straight from manual

1 (low) in this position, the transmission starts and remains in first gear. At vehicle speeds above 25mph, moving the gear selector from (D) or 3 to 1 will cause the transmission to shift to second gear and remain in second gear until the vehicle speed drops below 25mph when the transmission automatically downshifts to first gear.. upshifts from 1 can be made manually moving selector to (D) or 3..

forced downshifts - at vehicle speeds above 55mph in (D), the transmission will downshift from overdrive to third under moderate to heavy acceleration. in (D) or 3 with vehicle speeds between 55 and 25mph, the transmission will downshift from overdrive or third to second gear when the accelerator is fully depressed.. at speeds below 25mph, the transmission will downshift from third to second to first gear when the accelerator is fully depressed with selector in (D) or 3..
        Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Thanks.

.....and no it won't explode.

I've done it a few times already with the expected result (2nd gear).

I just don't want to make a habit out of it..... if it's bad for the tranny.
          Former panther owner
          1981 CV 351 4bbl
          1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

I personally think that 2nd gear in an AOD is a great way of descending steep hills without burning up your wheel brakes, but that's about the only times when I actually get to use it manually.

Comment

There is something about pulling the trans into 1 from D in order to get a manual second gear thats supposed to be bad on the trans. I think it doesn't disengage the OD band for engine braking or something, so it causes more wear. I know its bad to do the 1-D-1 shuffle on acceleration, not sure if it holds true on decel.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If I need to pass someone in a smaller than normal gap and there going around 55 I will pull it down to first so it goes into second, instead of just stomping it and going to third. I have never had problems but I dont do it very often either.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                Big plans

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  There is something about pulling the trans into 1 from D in order to get a manual second gear thats supposed to be bad on the trans. I think it doesn't disengage the OD band for engine braking or something, so it causes more wear. I know its bad to do the 1-D-1 shuffle on acceleration, not sure if it holds true on decel.
                  Well, that's wierd...The OD band is still engaged while in D?

I used to do the 1-D-1 shuffle a LOT on my 81', but that trans was messed up anyways. I showed the F-I-L how to do that on his mark VII.....guess I'll have to tell him to stop doing that.

Anyways, I just wondered if it was okay to pull it down from D (not OD), to 1 under moderate throttle....I guess it's not a good idea to make a habit out of it....so I guess I'll let the throttle make it shift then. (probably needs the extra line pressure added by the TV cable?)

I want to be good to this particulare AOD as it shifts way better than my last one ever did. I even go so far as to make sure it's in D instead of OD before I punch it to pass someone. That way it's not trying to do a 2 gear downshift.

I'm pretty happy with where it shifts at WOT. The 1-2 shift happens @ 45mph and the 2-3 happens @75mph. (I have 2.73's).....(but want 3.73's eventually).
                  Former panther owner
                  1981 CV 351 4bbl
                  1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

i know that on a couple cars here... the 2nd gear will hold till 70mph at full throttle. Donnas car (A.F.) will hold 2nd till 75mph at full throttle. to get the better go when passing on the higways here, i shift it manually just to get the extra go since i know where the shift points are at from a stop and taking off.
                    Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

yeh mine hangs tuff till 70mph... thanks to my 2.73's... doing my driving test a while ago i had to merge and tried easing the pedal down and eventually it dropped to second and screamed... ha awkward moment... same with the 3 point turn on the skinniest street he could find but it worked out nicely. ha. well I always thought it would go to 1st so now I might work up the courage to try that someday.
                      Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
                      HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

About manually shifting the AOD... my experience with it.

I try not to, but the urge is strong.

I am guilty of the 1-D-1 shuffle many, many times daily... generally, I run 1 up to 45, let off, do the 1-d-1, wait for 2nd to engage, then go back to WOT, hold till 85, then go to D. I don't use OD because the OD band went out long ago.

If I'm going 70 and want to roast a slower-moving target, I time my WOT application and the 1 Grab... tada, second gear. hold to 85, up to D again.

My merc had 220,000+ miles when I bought it 3 years ago and I've been abusing the piss out of it every day without any major failures... I think the TC is about to bite it though, so I'm pondering a JY replacement.

ODO has been dead for longer than I've owned it... if I had to guess, I'd say it's got roughly 330,000-400,000 [MILES] somewhere on the ticker. Long commute every day, and it gets an average of 300 miles per weekend in addition...

I just rebuilt the whole front suspension and I'm really not in any hurry to get rid of the thing... just need a cheap AOD with a working OD. This 11MPG nonsense is for the birds. 85mph for 30 miles at a stretch in morning insane rush hour traffic is hard on the fuel delivery system...

Anyways, back on topic... Even though I've been abusing AOD's for over 10 years I don't recommend pulling into 1 (2nd) above 55... I'm sure it does something bad, even though I've been lucky so far.

if you don't trust the trans, don't even think about thinking about it.
                        I am the personification of the dichotomy of good and evil. Please don't push my buttons, or my head will explode. And for the love of all that is good and holy in this universe, USE PROPER SPELLING AND GRAMMAR.

[/hyperventilate]

Comment

Working...
                        X