5.0 HO versus Explorer Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5.0 HO versus Explorer Motor

A search really didn't give me the answers I was seeking, so excuse my newbness with the following question;

i'm going to do a motor swap among other things, 100% certain of that. looking at the options, it looks like i more or less have the option of doing the 96-era Explorer engine, the 93 5.0 Cobra/HO, or redoing the existing setup into an HO engine.

I guess the question is, of these options (or I could be missing one here altogether), which is the most desirable swap and why? Again, sorry for the newby post, and I appreciate the wisdom here.

All things being equal, probably the Explorer engine, and its simply because the heads and intake are better.

The block itself is identical from 86 onward no matter what engine it is.

The stock pistons are crappy cast, HO pistons are forged, Explorer pistons are hypereutectic. In a practical sense, that means no nitrous and probably not any boost on stock pistons, a pretty good amount on Explorer ones, and pretty much whatever you want on an HO piston. Unless you're getting into the realm of 150 or more shots, or a crapload of boost, that doesn't matter much.

Stock heads are shit. HO had the E7 head, which is better but honestly not that spectacular. The Explorer used a GT40 or GT40p head, which are the best flowing stock heads available.

Stock and HO lower intake is the same, and its also not that great. It can be ported to perform better though. The Explorer came with a slightly uglier but extremely capable version of the 93 Cobra GT40 intake, which is probably the best stock EFI 302 intake Ford ever made. The Cobra one has a slightly better flowing upper, but the lower is the same. The lower is the restriction point, so the small difference in uppers isn't really enough to be concerned with.

Now for the down sides of the Explorer engine:
    The valve springs are crap and really need to be changed
    Timing cover is very different, and will need to be changed
    all the engine front accessories need to be changed.
    oil pan needs to be changed

Explorer engine is a bit more work overall to install, but you get better results from it. The HO is slightly less work, primarily because you don't have to switch pans, and possibly not the timing cover but I personally don't feel its enough less effort to make it worthwhile. Converting the stock engine works, but again with the work involved to strip the motor to a shortblock, change the cam, and put the parts back on its a fair bit of work.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That was the perfect answer, thank you. I owe you a beer for that

Comment

Just let one of us know when you want to be bored 3/4 of the way to deal with all the gory measurements and part numbers ....

This reminds me, I've got another replacement cam to look up ....
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I was going to do this swap myself, but my concern was with the intake manifold being reversed from our cars. With my TC's wiper motor, how would this work? Aside from new throttle cables, what else would be involved with this? I am looking for the most complete set of details I can get, as the motor is sitting in my garage, and has been for 2 months whilst I prep it.

"No other man-made device since the shields and lances of the ancient knights fulfills a man's ego like an automobile." -Sir William

2011 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited- Black on black, ADTR sway bars, 19" Mustang GT rims, Heinous rear control arms, dual exhaust with Flowmaster 10 series mufflers. MHS Stage 2 heads/cams, 80mm MAF, 75mm BBK throttle body, Accufab plenum, Stainless Works long tube headers, Ford Racing 24# injectors. ADTR T56 swap with Hurst shifter. 264HP/298TQ at the rear wheels.

Comment

Most guys just spin the upper around and use Panther-chassis throttle connections (i.e. reuse stock throttle and TV cables).
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

yep, unbolt and rotate 180 degrees. It clears the wiper motor without issues.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

is that for the Mountaineer motor or the H.O.? I have the Mountaineer engine.

"No other man-made device since the shields and lances of the ancient knights fulfills a man's ego like an automobile." -Sir William

2011 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited- Black on black, ADTR sway bars, 19" Mustang GT rims, Heinous rear control arms, dual exhaust with Flowmaster 10 series mufflers. MHS Stage 2 heads/cams, 80mm MAF, 75mm BBK throttle body, Accufab plenum, Stainless Works long tube headers, Ford Racing 24# injectors. ADTR T56 swap with Hurst shifter. 264HP/298TQ at the rear wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by HotRodLincoln View Post
                  All of em.
                  Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I was going to do this swap myself, but my concern was with the intake manifold being reversed from our cars. With my TC's wiper motor, how would this work? Aside from new throttle cables, what else would be involved with this? I am looking for the most complete set of details I can get, as the motor is sitting in my garage, and has been for 2 months whilst I prep it.
                    uh, read the sticky "mikes tips and tricks" in the 5.0./5.8 forum. That goes throug hall of the stuff needed to do for the ho/explorer swap.
                    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Works on both. That picture is my engine with an Explorer intake on it. I have one somewhere with the HO intake on it, but it looks exactly the same as the stock intake for all practical purposes.

Comment

I have seen several intakes come off trucks, and the driver's side rear bolt is offset. I haven't examined mine too closely, I thought it would be the same situation, but I guess I should have paid closer attention. Thanks.

Comment

another newb question here, can I bolt GT40 heads to a stock crown vic motor without any problems with valve to piston clearance? (sorry for the thread jack)
                          Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
                          New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

Originally posted by hemihotrod402 View Post
                            another newb question here, can I bolt GT40 heads to a stock crown vic motor without any problems with valve to piston clearance? (sorry for the thread jack)
                            That will depend on what camshaft you use.

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw440 View Post
                              That will depend on what camshaft you use.
                              ok, original crown vic cam
                              Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
                              New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

Working...
                              X