1988 Lincoln TC Limo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1988 Lincoln TC Limo

What kind of suspension pieces will I find under one of these cars? I might know of a trashed limo for sale, but the seller isn't sure what's underneath. If possible, I might snag the swaybar and the rear out of it.

Packman

springs and shocks are probably beefed up too. my guess though is that theyd be wagon-spec
    1989 Grand Marquis GS

Comment

I'm good with the shocks and springs. I should have just asked if the sway bars are any thicker than the civilian bars and or bracing that can be swapped over to the CV?

Packman

Comment

I'd be willing to bet that it has the 3.55 trak lok (K code) And the tow package sway bar. Any town car had extra braces on the frame to make it more stiff. Ones that come to mind are the one right behind the front and rear bumpers.

Comment

hmmm john are these braces removable? IF so do you know if i could add them to my caR??
          -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

I believe those frame braces front and back are welded in. They could be added to anything, but you could fabricate something thats better for less work.

The limo suspension may involve heavier bars. Not sure, you'd have to check the sizing. Later ones had a heavy duty rear axle. Not sure if the box limos got that or not.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

From what I have seen at the JY and LTDMan83's threads, the front frame braces on the box TCs are bolted. The rear braces are welded. I would like to eventually run a combination of box TC and wagon braces. I have to get under a wagon to see if they have frame braces under the front doors. I think the wagons had that.

Packman

Comment

Yea, the towncar braces are bolted on, those with the wagon fender braces make the whole car feel alot more stiff and handle better.

deffinatley a good upgrade, and yea, the Limo sway bars are basically PI sway bars.
                ---1990 Lincon LSC., 5.0 H.O., 55,000 ORIG. miles, 3:73 Posi, Bullit rims, 3G alt., 2.5" full-back exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, Flowmaster mufflers. My DD
                ---1985 Grand Marquis 2-door., Fresh 5.0, slick-top, GT40P's, 1.7 RR's, FRPP headers, 3G alt., Weiand Stealth intake, 650 cfm holley, 2.5" side-exit exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, 3:55 Posi, Bucket seats, custom center console. My Toy

Comment

I would have thought that you would find at least 1/2ton pickup spec springs under a limo, thats alot of weight for just waggin springs.
                  1990 LTD Crown Vic w/ dead 5.0
                  1984 Pontiac 6000 cammed 2.5L Iron Duke
                  1986 F-150 300 6cyl 5spd.
                  1994 Crown Vic... Free, bad trans?

Comment

Originally posted by Bowman85merc View Post
                    Yea, the towncar braces are bolted on, those with the wagon fender braces make the whole car feel alot more stiff and handle better.

deffinatley a good upgrade, and yea, the Limo sway bars are basically PI sway bars.
                    Hmmm so are there holes allready there that i can simply remove the braces and bolt them onto my car or do I havta do some drilling? this sounds like a great inexpensive upgrade
                    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                      Hmmm so are there holes allready there that i can simply remove the braces and bolt them onto my car or do I havta do some drilling? this sounds like a great inexpensive upgrade
                      For the fender mounts YES, for the under body mounts SORTA. you will have to drill and tap two holes on the drivers side bulkhead. The passengers side does bolt right in though. Check out LTDman83's Big Red project for info on both.
                      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                        On the TC braces you can drill/tap new holes in the bulkhead, or like i did and just oval the holes out, mine came out fine, and they helped out alot.
                        But like 87gtvic said, the pass. side bolts right on, but the driver side is the problem.
                        ---1990 Lincon LSC., 5.0 H.O., 55,000 ORIG. miles, 3:73 Posi, Bullit rims, 3G alt., 2.5" full-back exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, Flowmaster mufflers. My DD
                        ---1985 Grand Marquis 2-door., Fresh 5.0, slick-top, GT40P's, 1.7 RR's, FRPP headers, 3G alt., Weiand Stealth intake, 650 cfm holley, 2.5" side-exit exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, 3:55 Posi, Bucket seats, custom center console. My Toy

Comment

Are we talking about the little bars that run diagonal from the under-engine crossmember to the A pillar area, or the frame braces that Towncars have just behind the front bumper, and just forward of the rear bumper? The ones that I said welded in are the ones at the end of the frame rails, just inboard of the bumpers.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

This

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            Are we talking about the little bars that run diagonal from the under-engine crossmember to the A pillar area.
                            With a little bit of that.

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            the frame braces that Towncars have just behind the front bumper, and just forward of the rear bumper? The ones that I said welded in are the ones at the end of the frame rails, just inboard of the bumpers.
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

The braces I was talking about is the crossmember brace. The other two pairs of braces on each end of the car might be a no no in NJ if they're not factory installed. A friend had some trouble with his Nova after welding some support braces for the rear frame. The a'hole at the inspection station told him that NJ doesn't allow welding on the frame of the car. I thought that was kinda strange, but my father said they used to say the same thing back in the day. Though I wonder if you can claim it was factory installed on the CV. I also don't remember getting any flack about the front frame welding job on the Malibu. Ah f' it, I go to private inspection stations anyways, so I could probably get away with it.

Packman

Comment

Working...
                              X