Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late 80's Towncar CD Player problems

Hi,

A co-worker just recently picked up a 1988 (pretty sure I have the year right) Lincoln town car. I can't remember if it's a cartier or signature series. Talk about low miles.....I think he said it only had 16k on it. It's black with real wire wheels and dual exhaust. I got to say it's a really nice clean car.

Anyways......it's got an am/fm cassette unit similar to mine in the dash......and then it's got a separate factory CD unit under that. It looks wierd, basically goes in the space between under (and forward of) the dash and the top of the tranny tunnel.

It doesn't work. No one has a clue how to tackle it, or even by-pass it.

Any idea's that I can pass on to him?
    Former panther owner
    1981 CV 351 4bbl
    1991 CV 302 EFI

Little better info.......

the towncar is an 88'
    it's a signature series
    Car only had 14k miles (well 15k now)

The players "play".......but the sound is lacking.
    If it's "really" quiet you can faintly hear it. (so he says)
    He suspects the amp......but is clueless as to how to check it.
    ......and can't find anyone to work on it either.

I just thought maybe you guys could give some pointers for the usual culprits to problems like this.
    ....and I'd pass them along to him.

thanks
    Former panther owner
    1981 CV 351 4bbl
    1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

theres a guy in ny that rebuilds the lincoln premium sound casette and cd players, he should be able to help your friend.....let me know if you need to get ahold of him and i'll get his contact info

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

wow, do you have any idea how rare that is? From what I've been told, its something like a $1500 option.

Does the radio itself work normally, and just the CD player gives bad volume? Was the fuse on the side of the amp in the trunk checked? It should be the JBL amp, big black thing behind the rear seat, up there on the package shelf. Might be behind a cardboard panel.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
          theres a guy in ny that rebuilds the lincoln premium sound casette and cd players, he should be able to help your friend.....let me know if you need to get ahold of him and i'll get his contact info

I'll ask him and get back to you.
          (thanks)
          Former panther owner
          1981 CV 351 4bbl
          1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            wow, do you have any idea how rare that is? From what I've been told, its something like a $1500 option.

Does the radio itself work normally, and just the CD player gives bad volume? Was the fuse on the side of the amp in the trunk checked? It should be the JBL amp, big black thing behind the rear seat, up there on the package shelf. Might be behind a cardboard panel.
            Honestly no, it is a lincoln after all, just figured most of them were loaded.
            He bought it because of the mileage. (he really likes the wire wheels too).

No volume from anything.
            Previous owner did have the radio replaced thinking it was that....didn't help.

I'm pretty sure he checked all the fuzes, but I'll ask.
            He was told to by-pass the amp.....but he can't figure out the wiring.

I'll post back after I've had a chance to talk to him.
            Former panther owner
            1981 CV 351 4bbl
            1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

You can't bypass the amp with the factory radio. The radio produces nearly no output power on it's own. If the amp is dead, you can harvest one out of a Mark VII, and maybe later Towncars. Basically if it looks the same and will plug in, it'll work.

The fuse is on the amp itself, not in the fuse panel. Its kind of hard to see unless you know its there.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I talked to him. He has decided to go the junkyard route looking for an amp.
                Former panther owner
                1981 CV 351 4bbl
                1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

Working...
                X