Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bad week for 2ag altenators

seen problems with the 2ag alt in 3 vehicles this week
    first was sunday night when boxmans altenator caught fire in his 88 grand marquis
    second was gadget's towncar.......the harness melted on his and fried the altenator...........he picked up the parts today and did a 3ag conversion

third is a 86 thunderbird that i work on for a friend...........he said the battery wouldnt charge, and the car wouldnt start......his brother towed it here, and i replaced the battery and checked for a draw........sure thing the new battery went kaput in a couple hours........i found the draw, the altenator is hot as hell with the key off

my tip of the week
    if you value your box, upgrade to the 3ag style altenator so your car doesent go up in flames without warning
    scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

:stupid:

one of my to-do things after i get the tranny squared away
    Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

What is the 2AG? Is that the stock for my car?

I've only had to replace one ever, after a couple 100,000 miles

Comment

when you threw the 94-95 ho in there did you reuse the vic accesorries or the stang accesories. if you used the stang parts you should already have the 3ag alt

Comment

Well, I didn't get my engine from a mustang so I didn't have and stang accesorries to reuse. I guess I should wait till I can find the whole pully assembly out of a 94-95GT.

Comment

i'd check corral.net maybe someone is selling one

Comment

Don't need Mustang accessories. Just buy the alt for a 95 Mustang 5.0, and it pretty much pops right in. Some very minor wiring changes need to be made, mostly cutting the big plug off and replacing the connectors on it with something the new alt can deal with plus adding a heavy guage wire over to the battery. Other than that its great. I show steady 14.0 volts at idle with everything turned on. Voltage doesn't vary at all. With the old one, the lights and stuff would dim when I was sitting at a stop light and would come back up as soon as I hit the gas.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yes, fuckin junk! I like my external reg alt on the 2 door.
                '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
                '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

so what is my alternator? a 1G ???
                  Im going to stay small case... if I upgrade Im going to see if a one wire alternator made for pre '85 mustangs will fit
                  Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Are 3gs externally or internally regulated? If they are internally, can you put one on a older externally regulated car? Cause I think my alt is bad.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
                    My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

Internal, but it seems there isn't a whole lot involved with removing the external regulator and going to the internal style. Here is info on doing it to a Mark 7, but any with an external regulator should be the same idea. Actually, Mark 7 alternators are 100 amp, so you might be able to use one of these as a quick and dirty upgrade path for an externally regulated car. You'll probably need to run fatter wires tho. Not sure if the case size is the same either.

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/article81.html
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Anybody want to walk me through on how to do a 3g swap on a 85 mgm. It might have the old 1g for all I know.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
                        My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownLX
                          so what is my alternator? a 1G ???
                          Im going to stay small case... if I upgrade Im going to see if a one wire alternator made for pre '85 mustangs will fit
                          yes pete, you have a first generation style altenator........65-85

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I like my 1g
                            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Working...
                            X