X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P71 vs. '05 GM GS - Horsepower question

A friend of mine sent me this:

2005 Grand Marquis Performance, Engine & Power Specs
    • 4.6 liters V8, 9.4 compression ratio, overhead cam and two valves per cylinder

• Power: 224 HP SAE @ 4,800 rpm; 272 ft lb @ 4,000 rpm
    • 2.73 rear axle ratio
    • Weights: curb weight (lbs) 4,039
    • Fuel economy EPA highway (mpg): 25 and EPA city (mpg): 18
    • Four-wheel ABS
    • Four disc brakes including four ventilated discs
    • Electronic traction control via ABS & engine management
    • Rear suspension has a four link with watts link

Ford Police Interceptor Sales Code: P71
    • 4.6 liters V8, 9.4 compression ratio, overhead cam and two valves per cylinder
    • Power: 250 HP SAE @ 5,000 rpm; 297 ft lb @ 4,000 rpm
    • Axle Ratio 3.27:1 or 3.55:1
    • Curb Weight : 4020 lbs
    • 0-60 mph : 8.7 sec.
    • Fuel System Sequential Port Fuel Injection
    • Exhaust Dual

Now here's the question....How do I take my 4.6 to 250hp spec's of the p71? Exhaust and colder air intake? Cam? Intake? What's the difference?
    Nothing makes me smile more than a cougar in my Panther

Kristal - 2005 Grand Marquis GS

Killin' zombies and grillin' veggie burgers, it's kinda my thing you know? - Bozowolf

I was thinking about this too. A good dual exhaust and an SCT tune would greatly benefit.

I ain't sure about losing my 2.73s though. I like the highway mileage too much!
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Police cars have a different airbox, I believe. If your car has single exhaust, converting to duals, and adding the MZT (Marauder air box, zip tube, and tune) mod will get you to a little better than P71 power specs. A 2.25" dual exhaust would be more than adequate, and probably provide slightly better performance than a factory dual system.

The intake and cams are the same. Cams swaps are unneeded for mild modifications.

P71s also have a looser converter, amongst other things.

If your car has 2.73s, and you want to improve performance, swap the gears. A J-mod would also make the car more fun to drive, especially with some gear.
      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

J-mod????

The more I learn the more I think about what to do first!

Oh yeah first - wheels and tires! Damn hubcaps yech

Second - airbox/exhaust or wheels/tires

Third - wheels/tires or airbox/exhaust

Fourth - Stereo and Interior (P71 Buckets and a center console)
        Last edited by Bozowolf; 07-25-2009, 02:10 AM.
        Nothing makes me smile more than a cougar in my Panther

Kristal - 2005 Grand Marquis GS

Killin' zombies and grillin' veggie burgers, it's kinda my thing you know? - Bozowolf

Comment

J Mod is done to the transmission. It alters how the transmission shifts, but it isn't a kit. You basically remove some springs, and drill dome holes, and the transmission shifts crisp (or hard, depending on how you choose).

You can find write-ups on CVN and TCCOA forums. Probably no write-up about it here.

Also, you can pm AKA-Rizzo (on either GMN or CVN), as he's done a few on different year cars, and is experienced.
          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

nothing rilly. air box, exhaust, 3.27 comes with car but many times they opt for the 3.55s, torque converter stalls higher, and i think it has a tune (no not a cop chip deal)
            86 Crown Vic LTD - MSD ignition, K&N filter, current motor rebuild
            98 Grand Marquis GS - michelin nitrogen filled tires, ceramic pads, PI mani swap, ACCEL ignition, custom ram intake, FRPP 70mm TB, trick flow plenum, lots more
            Future mods: ToNs MoRe
            2000 grand marquis LS - bone stock

Comment

I believe the main reason for the higher power rating of the P71 vs. the stock panther of the same year model is that the P71 has dual exhaust. I recommend using the same size pipes that the P71 uses, which are no larger than 2" and may even be smaller. If you go bigger than 2" you might actually cause the engine to lose power.

Comment

Coming from the mustang world, 4.6 P.I. engines like exhaust up to 2.5", yes there may be a loss of torque down low. there is no harm in going 2.25"

The biggest restriction to these cars i have not found an aftermarket solution for, Off-road/test pipes to get rid of the cats. Every magizine that has 4.6L mustang parts sells them but have not found a supplier to help the panthers out.
                sigpic
                Wrecked - Non-pi 1998 Mustang GT Best ET = 13.36@ 101
                Just bought: 01 grand marq - 5th 4.6L and counting.

Comment

heres one http://www.adtr.net/
                  theres more just dont know off the top of my head

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

i have looked at that site, frankly thier ported plenums are a joke, they do nothing to get rid of the biggest restriction in the plenum which is the 90 degree inner radius, i used to P&P mustang plenums a few years ago and sell them on e-bay for 50 bucks a pop. making the inside pretty is the easy part making it flow worth a damn takes a flowbench.
                    yeah next free weekend i have i will be taking off my stock TB and plenum, maybe i'll snap a couple pics. not going to do much good with my single exhaust lol.

I'm loving my open 2.73 rearend, 27 MPG on my 70 miles a day to Honda and back. I love a V-8 getting better MPG than a v-6 accord
                    Last edited by ogre; 08-08-2009, 01:21 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

The 05 P71 and M75 differ in power because of..
                      - Dual Exhaust
                      - "Marauder" Airbox with integrated MAF sensor 80mm i think
                      - Police Tuning (More aggressive Fuel maps and spark tables, higher speed limiter)
                      R.I.P Linsey Nelson

'04 M75-"Chocolate Rain" - mid 13 beast
                      Originally posted by MeanVic84
                      Chocolate Rain. Some stay dry and others feel the pain.

Comment

Originally posted by ogre View Post
                        The biggest restriction to these cars i have not found an aftermarket solution for, Off-road/test pipes to get rid of the cats. Every magizine that has 4.6L mustang parts sells them but have not found a supplier to help the panthers out.
                        Can't you just order a 4.6 Mustang H pipe from Summit Racing?
                        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                          Can't you just order a 4.6 Mustang H pipe from Summit Racing?
                          I am sure from being under my panther that a mustang H-pipe will not siumply bolt up to a 4.6L panther. I do not know if the routing angles out of the engine bay are the same. I was hoping to find some one who has done something like this before.
                          sigpic

Comment

Just have someone weld you one geeze.
                            R.I.P Linsey Nelson

'04 M75-"Chocolate Rain" - mid 13 beast
                            Originally posted by MeanVic84
                            Chocolate Rain. Some stay dry and others feel the pain.

Comment

Maybe you know a 4.6 Mustang guy who's recently upgraded his exhaust and could let you test-fit his stock H pipe?
                              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                              X