Five Q's about my new GM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Five Q's about my new GM

Just bought a new (to me) 2001 GM. Then my hopes are deflated to find out that our cars are underpowered compared to thier Mustang cousins. A few questions.

1. where does the difference come from other than the obvious HP killer 2" single exhaust? I know that all PI heads are the same and have always thought the cams and intake from PI engines were also equal.

2. How much aftermarket is there for these lovable land yachts? I cannot find a cat-less/off-road mid pipe anywhere. Only to use for track duty . . . of course.

3. Has anyone switched to a Mustang stye upper intake? i would assume that relocating the battery to say, the trunk, would open up the right side of the engine bay to take advantage of a buffet of available aftermarket parts.

4. what is the J Mod? i've always had a stick except my expedition and do not know what this is or benifits/drawbacks of it.

5. anyone know of any Terminator (03-04 cobra motor) swaps? I think these beautiful cars deserve a beautiful motor.

Thanks for the warm welcome, i'm getting all the maintanance caught up on the ole girl and want to learn and help as much as possible.
    sigpic
    Wrecked - Non-pi 1998 Mustang GT Best ET = 13.36@ 101
    Just bought: 01 grand marq - 5th 4.6L and counting.

1. off the top of my head there are a few differences, one being the computer. the mustangs have a different more agressive tune. they are also a much lighter car. the intake manifold are the same as far as i know, however the upper plenum is not. all of the vacuum ports and egr ports are all in different locations. obviously the zip tube and airbox are in different locations.....im not sure about exhaust manifolds. i know the egr setup is different but as far as casting and such im not sure if they differ.

2. there is plenty! not as much as the mustang obviously but there is definately an aftermarket. check out adtr.net as well as searching blue oval chips and a few others you may stumble upon. google crown vic aftermarket and you will find stuff..

3. i dont know of anyone myself, but im sure there is someone out there who has attempted....

4. here are three articles i have spent some time reading up on. i plan on doing the jmod within the next two weeks hopefully. check out these links and they should answer your questions...
    http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny...ybusiness.html
    http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny...on/index.shtml
    http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny...business.shtml

5. anyone know of any Terminator (03-04 cobra motor) swaps? I think these beautiful cars deserve a beautiful motor.

again, not that i know of...but i dont know everything. i prefer the 03 svt motor in the mustang.....just something about it gets my blood pumping....maybe its the 10 second quarter mile....maybe its just the roar of the motor or the whine of the supercharger....ahhh i miss it...

hope this was of help to you!!! happy trails and happy modding
    1996 Mercury Grand Marquis - duals, PI cams, PI intake, J-Mod, MZT, BOC tune, 3.55s, 18in wheels
    1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero - 5.0 HO T5 Fun Cruiser
    http://www.supermotors.net/users/tmm313

Comment

thank you alot. not really afraid of re-routing some vacuum lines if i wanted to try to swap the upper intakes, but only after a battery relocation (if i ever get that far)
      Also thought about the GM lack of a cheap CAI, anyone ever just tried to mount a mustang cai upside down? like a JLT. I also wondered if a mustang maf housing would be a good upgrade or just swapping the whole thing on . . . it would probibly need a tune.
      thanks for the help. was wondering if anyone else out there that are like me and are not content with using "stock" stuff from other cars
      sigpic
      Wrecked - Non-pi 1998 Mustang GT Best ET = 13.36@ 101
      Just bought: 01 grand marq - 5th 4.6L and counting.

Comment

Working...
      X