Town Car courtesey light CV install / LED retrofit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Town Car courtesey light CV install / LED retrofit

Some of you already saw the rear reading lights I installed in the sail panels - I was really pleased how they turned out, except the fact that i cracked one while installing it :cuss:

Also from the same Town Car, I got the lights/reflectors off the doors too. A while ago when I saw Embassy put some aftermarket courtesey lights in his doors, I wanted to follow! But I wanted Ford OE ones - and these should look nice Also while the door panels are off, I may just have to try and install the chrome script 'Brougham' emblems that I saved off the door panels of the 77.

Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Now those look awsome.

Comment

I got to see the sail panel lights in person
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

How the F do those reading lamp things come out anyway? One of mine is cracked and I have no idea how to get it out of there for replacement.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Gotta pull the sail panel - theres a big ol bracket behind it holding it in the backside.
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Sail panel just pops off with clips or something decently obvious? Haven't really looked back there to be honest, but I think the one on the passenger side isn't fully seated. I seem to recall it moving around when I was cleaning it at some point.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

oh! yeah... they are loose for sure.
              In my excitment I grabbed the first one kinda hard and it just came right out with my hands, lol
              sigpic

Comment

Pete, did you cut your sail panel to install the lights, or did you use the Townie sail panels? Also, did you install those door lights? Your original post didn't specify.
                Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

I'd like more info on the sail panel install as well. And the door reflectors look awesome, can't wait to see 'em in.

sigpic
                  - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

Holy 5 year old thread lol....

yep I had to cut out a hole in the stock sail panels to put them in. the TC sail panels are definitely a different shape and come out from the C pillar more. i can't remember if they looked like they would go in a vic or gmq... I don't think i found red ones to try.
                    I do remember that the bracket holding them to the TC sail panels was way too big to work in mine, because it was too big to fit in the recessed area of the c pillar. They are just sort of popped in the, resting in pace, and are a little loose... haven't fallen out yet though!
                    I didn't put the door lights in, you'd have to cut a hole in the metal part of the door too to make them work. I didn't feel like doing this at that time. Also I have them still for sale if anyone wants them ...
                    sigpic

Comment

Anyone trying this, since the bracket doesn't fit You can just use silicone to bond the light panel to the sail panel from the backside.
                      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                        Holy 5 year old thread lol....

yep I had to cut out a hole in the stock sail panels to put them in. the TC sail panels are definitely a different shape and come out from the C pillar more. i can't remember if they looked like they would go in a vic or gmq... I don't think i found red ones to try.
                        I do remember that the bracket holding them to the TC sail panels was way too big to work in mine, because it was too big to fit in the recessed area of the c pillar. They are just sort of popped in the, resting in pace, and are a little loose... haven't fallen out yet though!
                        I didn't put the door lights in, you'd have to cut a hole in the metal part of the door too to make them work. I didn't feel like doing this at that time. Also I have them still for sale if anyone wants them ...
                        I like bringing 5 year old threads back from the dead.

Besides, it saves space on the server.

I know the Town Car sails stick out, but I'm wondering if they stick out farther than the sail panels on the '90-91 boxes. Those sail panels have outboard shoulder belts versus lap belts found in the older boxes. I'd check myself but I don't have access to a '90-91 and none of the junkyards around here have boxes.

I'm sure the sails would fit with some trimming, and recovering of the panel but I'm curious how they'd fit in a coach roof car. As long as the part of the panel that is forward facing is almost identical, if not exact, there may not have to be any trimming with a coach roof car. The sails tuck behind the rear covering.

Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                          Anyone trying this, since the bracket doesn't fit You can just use silicone to bond the light panel to the sail panel from the backside.
                          Worked for me. Holds the light in place. I put the bracket behind the Light, and screwed it in throught the back. If you wanted to you could glue the bracket to the panel. How I have mine mounted, they fit snuggly against the metal of the c pillar. Well I have one installed, I cut the other side in the wrong place.

And a little extra info on the lights. When I talked to Pete back in August of 09 for SF, he said that he had painted them cause they were in rough shape. As I found out, they're actually supposed to be chromed.
                          Last edited by 86VickyLX; 04-03-2010, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X