strange stuff when it rains...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

strange stuff when it rains...

go back a few weeks ago. it was dark and i was heading home from Wayne's. it was raining pretty good too. a car was coming so i turned my high beams down. this jackass felt he didn't have to. well I'm tired of this happening so i turn around and nail it after this guy mostly just to high beam his ass. after i have it floored a little i let off some cause its wet. suddenly, it feels like my exhaust broke right under my feet. floor is shaking and it's loud like i have just open manifolds. I'm like great i just had this stuff put on! a mile down the road and it stops. I'm like ok one time weird thing good! i proceed to high beam the jackass back. all is well till yesterday. again its raining and i get on it a little and again this happens. it sounds and feels like the exhaust fell off. hit a bump and it hits the bottom of the car too. I'm thinking the exhaust is falling off. then a little later it stops till i get on it again. again only when its raining. could i have a rubber hanger that just slides around when it gets wet? i looked under the car and the exhaust looks connected and spanking new! i think that its just touching the bottom of the car but why only when its raining? man when it happens though its loud in the car. i didn't notice much of a difference outside the car though. even just coasting it bumps and rattles around. not real hard but you can hear and feel it right at your feet. maybe a motor mount is acting wacky?
    Lets Go Pens!

Just don't get it wet or feed it after midnight. But seriously, just check it out and pull over while its doing it.
    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

It sounds like the exhaust is hitting against the floor as you suggested, but my guess is that the rain has nothing to do it - merely a coincidental occurrence. Crawl under the car and see if anything is obviously loose, and look for areas of the floor where the dirt/paint is rubbed through from the pipe hitting it. If nothing is loose, rev the engine from out under the hood, and see if it moves all over the place when you do. If so, you have a motor mount problem.

Another idea: check to see if the rear transmission mount has come loose and is letting the tranny hit against the floor. That can make some pretty interesting noises, too.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
      1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
      But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

It sounds like your exhaust is hitting the floorboard and vibrating it. I had that same problem with my old Malibu. I kinda fixed my problem by squishing and old piece of rockwall insulation in between the floorpan and the exhaust.

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by p71towny View Post
          Just don't get it wet or feed it after midnight. But seriously, just check it out and pull over while its doing it.
          thats great

i changed my oil and checked stuff out. seems fine. i mean it did it like 3 times that day i said about it and the time before that it was raining too. but never on a dry day. strange! next plan is to get it on a lift and really check stuff out.
          Lets Go Pens!

Comment

Working...
          X