lost lug nut key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lost lug nut key

i bought a 95 gmq it had after market rims on it well on the back are stock and i have the after markets to put on but i dont have the lug key. i know you can use a tool or a socket but the wheels have spacers on them to keep them from rubbing the fenders. any idea of how i can get them off? there is not enough room for the tool or a socket to fit over the lug nut.

Got a welder handy? I've welded a nut on the end of lug nuts to get them off.
    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Reminds me, the '97 that Rob (theredlineboss) just picked up has locking hubcaps but the owner couldn't find the key. Hopefully it's easy to improvise one or pick up a replacement from someone with an extra?
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Theres a way to get a new one from Ford, but I forget what information you need to have. Something about a key code, but I'm not sure where its found. Might want to go visit your local dealer and see what they can tell you.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

i use turbosockets

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

+1 scott
            1996 Mercury Grand Marquis - duals, PI cams, PI intake, J-Mod, MZT, BOC tune, 3.55s, 18in wheels
            1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero - 5.0 HO T5 Fun Cruiser
            http://www.supermotors.net/users/tmm313

Comment

Air chisel works too.
              1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                i use turbosockets
                Might be able to get a tire shop to get them off for free. I found a shop with the lugnut remover sockets when I needed the locking shank lugnuts off the wagon, and they told me since it only took them a minute or two that there was no charge. And it so happened that the nuts weren't severely damaged, so I could theoretically reuse them if I ever find the key and the nuts at the same time. Lots cheaper than trying to buy your own sockets!

Comment

i got them off i found the key thank go it was in my car under the passenger seat. thank god i found it saved me alot of time and frustration!

Comment

I didnt have one sooo my buddy welded some nits on the lugnet locks and zipped them off with and impact.
                    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

I had the same problem once with a taurus. I had two keys and lost one and broke the second one I had so luckily I was able to remove the plastic center cap and it gave me enough room to grind some sides on the nuts. I was able to then take an impact socket that just wouldn't fit and pound it on with a hammer and zipped them all off with an impact.

I talked to a couple dealers and none of them could help me and the tire shops around me wanted way more money than it should have cost. It's lucky that you found it before you went through all the work. As soon as I got the last one off my socket flew off the gun and rolled under my workbench and low and behold it rolled right next to the missing key. Now that sucks.

Comment

i spent 15 minutes total to get the locking nuts off the 1992 Grand Marquis me and fiance have... it had the stock type and they are different then the type from the 80s... the were thin walled type outer edge and special design center... i used a Craftsman 1/2 drive chrome socket with small extension and hammered on the socket... then used my ratchet to turn them off... less time then welding and only way besides paying a tire shop here ... tire shop around here wanted $250 to replace a bad tire since we didnt have a key for the wheels...
                        Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Originally posted by Merc3517 View Post
                          I talked to a couple dealers and none of them could help me and the tire shops around me wanted way more money than it should have cost. It's lucky that you found it before you went through all the work. As soon as I got the last one off my socket flew off the gun and rolled under my workbench and low and behold it rolled right next to the missing key. Now that sucks.
                          Weirdness! When I lost a lug key, I found a tire shop to yank the four locking nuts off with their spiral-sockets, and they didn't even charge me since the 2 minutes or so was such a small fraction of billable time. Of course, that may have just been a peculiarly helpful tire shop.

Comment

Working...
                          X