351 swap intake thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

351 swap intake thoughts

So I wondered if anyone has ever considered an intake setup like this to keep the 351 fuel injected and still fit under the hood without having to hunt down a lightning intake

anyway here is the set up with the medium height elbow which is 5 inches tall

and here is the ultra low elbow I was thinking of its only 2.25 or something

and here is the ultra low on an ls1 intake but you get the idea on height

also I think to run the ultra low sideway like we would need you would need a spacer to get over the fuel rails but you could still possible keep it lower than the 5'' medium one

Then there is the fabricated version i've found made specifically to clear the fuel rails

So what are your guys thoughts and opinions on this option

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
    Big plans

That's how im planning on doing mine..its a good way to go to save space imo, the edelbrock only comes in 90/95mm but i beleive you can have a custom one made for bigger or smaller inlets, although you could just put a smaller throttle body on the 90mm elbow if your motor does not require such a large tb. What your building will dictate what you need, but the elbow is a very good way to go regardless.

Comment

you think the regular 5'' one would fit under the stock hood

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
      Big plans

Comment

keep it fuel injected? Panthers did not have injected 351s.

Thats not a bad idea, but you really need some motor under it to make good use of it. Not particularly cheap either but you can build a hell of a badass engine and feed it with one of those.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well i've always planned going turbo on the marquis but I have not had the funds to do so yet. The 351 swap just got added to the plans recently since they hold about 700 or 800 horsepower before they split the block down the middle vs. a 302 which splits around 500 horsepower generally. With the new job i'm starting I should also have plenty of extra cash to put back for said project. I do plan on collecting parts over the next year or so to do an almost identical setup to the very top picture. Basically a 351 with nice crank rods and pistons, maybe even a stock crank as they will hold the power but i digress. An ok set of heads and the intake setup listed above, with a borg warner s400 turbo feeding the beast. A management system of some sort and a killer fuel system. With a nice 4r70w behind it and a baumann controller to go with that.
          It sounds like something I should list in the '' dream panther '' thread huh? haha

P.S. - I got a 97 2.3 5 speed ranger that will be taking over the daily driver duties. So the grand marquis is getting put in the garage in ohio and it's time to start collecting parts.

please don't laugh at a young boys dreams haha

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
          Big plans

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            keep it fuel injected? Panthers did not have injected 351s.

Thats not a bad idea, but you really need some motor under it to make good use of it. Not particularly cheap either but you can build a hell of a badass engine and feed it with one of those.
            but since your using a carb'd intake you can stay with something like a performer intake to keep drivability
            http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
            http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

could ya use that steup on an injected 351 truck engine and put it in a panther, or is the intake like totally different?
              People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. ~ George Orwell

1990 Crown Vic, 2006 Ford Fusion, 2003 Ranger

Comment

Originally posted by DuceAnAHalf View Post
                but since your using a carb'd intake you can stay with something like a performer intake to keep drivability
                True, the Performer 2181 is a great street intake, good up to more power than most builders will get out of their street 351s..

The thing about the elbows is just as Gadget said, it will take big heads and a big cam to really make use of it, especially as the intakes specifically intended for EFI conversions are usually big single-planes. The reason for the long tuned runners of the stock EFI intake and Lightning intakes is because it helps build power right where your car can actually use it.

On the other hand, if you were to modify a Performer 2181 for EFI duty .... I wonder ......

Need to find someone who's good at fabbing aluminum, though.
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                  True, the Performer 2181 is a great street intake, good up to more power than most builders will get out of their street 351s..

The thing about the elbows is just as Gadget said, it will take big heads and a big cam to really make use of it, especially as the intakes specifically intended for EFI conversions are usually big single-planes. The reason for the long tuned runners of the stock EFI intake and Lightning intakes is because it helps build power right where your car can actually use it.

On the other hand, if you were to modify a Performer 2181 for EFI duty .... I wonder ......

Need to find someone who's good at fabbing aluminum, though.
                  would just need the intake drilled and have injector bungs welded on.
                  http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                  http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

I wonder if that goofy aluminum-brazing rod stuff would be adequate for adding injector bungs?

Comment

Originally posted by fordktpjoe View Post
                      could ya use that steup on an injected 351 truck engine and put it in a panther, or is the intake like totally different?

Truck intakes are like 2 feet tall. The idea is to have something that fits under the hood. And yes, they are completely different, with the exception of the GT40 on the 93-95 lightnings, but they still do not fit due to the extra deck height of the 351.
                      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Could always just order anything from these search results and mock it up for a test fit:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/m.../?Ns=Price|Asc

... depending on how much $$$$ you want to spend!

Comment

They are just as tall, or taller. The box uppers are probably the best bet, but are probably still dang tall.
                          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Yeah most of the after market fuelie intakes like the trick flow ones in the link dont fit the stock hood on a stang and they have more room height wise than a panther

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                            Big plans

Comment

also im pretty sure the place that makes the fabricated elbows also converts any carb intake to a fuel injected set up

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                              Big plans

Comment

Working...
                              X