TV bushing and what else? (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TV bushing and what else? (pics)

Okay so I'm having some shift problems and found out about the TV bushings. Well so I went out to my car and checked it out. The cable wasnt even connected. I took a couple of pics.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_nkTTsYjwXtk/So...0/DSC00315.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_nkTTsYjwXtk/So...0/DSC00316.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_nkTTsYjwXtk/So...0/DSC00317.JPG

The local ford has to order the part and will take 3-5 business days. That might mean I wont get the part till next week! So I've read people saying dont drive it, dont drive it because I'm going to burn out the transmission. Is there anything I can do for the time being so I can drive the car? It does the gear hunting an when going really slow in D, sometimes I need to manually shift into 1 to get it going. Is it the hard shifts that damage the trans? Would cruising in one gear for a couple miles over heat the trans or something? Looking at the pics, is there anything else I need to properly mount the TV cable?
    88 MGM 5.0 stock

Okay so as I checked on what I was ordering, turns out the bushings are plastic. They said ford doesnt make them anymore. And now I remember reading in some thread about buying it from somebody else. If I have to wait for shipping, I might as well get the brass ones. Maybe I can get same day shipping. I'm trying to get this thing running right before class starts on Monday. Thanks for the help!
    88 MGM 5.0 stock

Comment

Go back to your ford parts desk and ask for part #F3SZ-7H303-B
      That's the # for the brass bushing with a retaining spring.
      Former panther owner
      1981 CV 351 4bbl
      1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

.......and don't drive your car again without it.

Former panther owner
        1981 CV 351 4bbl
        1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

Do not drive it. At all. You may have already nuked the transmission, but the more you drive it, the greater the chances are you'll destroy it. It doesn't take long at all. I've heard of people baking an AOD within 10 miles after that fell apart before.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by andymac0035 View Post
            Go back to your ford parts desk and ask for part #F3SZ-7H303-B
            That's the # for the brass bushing with a retaining spring.
            Yeah thats the number I got from somebodies guide. They said because its a special order that I would have to buy 4 to have it shipped!

Can I just get a replacement at the parts store? It looks like such a simple little thing...
            88 MGM 5.0 stock

Comment

yup that little think plastic bushing brakes that's why people get the brass one.
              I hoped you did not kill the trans. yeah do not drive that car like that

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
              302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
              k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Originally posted by deepsleep View Post
                Yeah thats the number I got from somebodies guide. They said because its a special order that I would have to buy 4 to have it shipped!

Can I just get a replacement at the parts store? It looks like such a simple little thing...

That's the same line I got at the 1st dealer I went to......so I called around.
                Some places are more eager to help you than others.
                There must another ford dealer in your area. (I had like 3 or 4 to pick from)
                Former panther owner
                1981 CV 351 4bbl
                1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

Nope, 2 on this island and both dont have it. I can just have it shipped from a dealership in cali but theres really no way to rig something up? But I guess its so small one day air wouldnt cost much either.
                  88 MGM 5.0 stock

Comment

Originally posted by deepsleep View Post
                    Nope, 2 on this island and both dont have it. I can just have it shipped from a dealership in cali but theres really no way to rig something up? But I guess its so small one day air wouldnt cost much either.
                    where do you live? if you don't mind me asking

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                    302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                    k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

The Bis Island in Hawaii. Yes its awesome, I just went to the top of Mauna Kea yesterday, we'll see what happens w/my transmission.
                      88 MGM 5.0 stock

Comment

Wouldn't Autozone have something in the Help! section that could retain the TV cable? Possibly something like the kit I got to fix the missing bushing on my shift linkage?
                        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I'm getting the feeling everything about this car is going to be a long drawn out battle to the death. A long story short, I'm not getting the stupid bushing till next week. I need the car today to stock up on food for the weekend. How bad is it really to drive it around? How is it effected? What if I just go slow enough to stay in 1? Cant i just wire the damn things together with a hanger or something? PLEASE, ANYTHING. I start school on Monday and need this thing running.
                          88 MGM 5.0 stock

Comment

Check and see if your local discount parts store has a "HELP" section, Ive seen a grommet assortment at mine with what looks like a TV grommet in it...
                            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                            sigpic
                            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

DO NOT DRIVE IT. Also dont try to rig it. On my 90 mustang gt I had just bought the car and the throttle stuck wide open which caused me to rear end someone, come to find out the previous owner had broke the bushing and zip tied the cable to the throttle arm witch caused a WOT sticking issue.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                              Big plans

Comment

Working...
                              X