92 MGM smokes oil from tailpipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

92 MGM smokes oil from tailpipe

I have a 92 MGM. It has a terrible exhaust leak, and smokes oil out the tail pipe. I can buy an engine from work from a 96 CV police car for $200, or I have a set of pi heads, and can buy an intake for $100 from an 01 CV police car. Is the pi head swap straight forward or is there anything to look out for? Or should I put in the 96 engine? Thanks Mike

With the PI head swap, you need the PI intake with it. Thats pretty much it.
    That may end up solving your exhaust leak issue.
    build up the engine with the PI heads and then put it in!
    -Ryan S.
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
    Originally posted by pantera77
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Have you done a leakdown test to rule out bad rings? Where is the exhaust leak?

Always possible you can solve your oil problems just by installing new valve seals .... one 4.6 owner on this board even called himself "leaky valve seals" for a period of time.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

before you buy that 96 motor, get back to us with a build date of your car.........you might have a bastard block 4.6 with the aod

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

The exhaust leak is at the front. I think its the manifold studs. The trans is the aode. It has a range selector switch on the side and has a 3 bolt starter.

Comment

With mod powered panthers, it's normally easier to swap the whole engine than just the top end/heads.

Since you have a 92.5 w/ AODE, you can use a complete drop in from a newer model. But you will need an assortment of parts from 1995-2002 models and a few specifically from '96-'97 (ie fuel rail) to complete the retrofit.

As '87 said, your oil consumption and smoking is most likely bad valve stem seals - extremely common on 95 and older 4.6s
            This can be done in-car
            -My Homepage, Panther info & FAQs-
            My Mint 96' Mercury Grand Marquis LSE -
            Modifications
            Click My Merc for more Pics!

Comment

Working...
            X