exhaust options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

exhaust options

Hi all, have a 1990 colony in sore need of a set of mufflers. Read on the forum that 18" long (body) 2" in/out works with the car just fine. The post mentioned using an offset glasspak. Does that mean using angled inlet/outlet? If yes how much angle? Autozone has them listed under this make and model with no angle..will those fit?

cheap options? looking for bolt on install...

Nope, the non-angled glasspacks won't be a bolt on. You may have success with an angled-in/out glasspack of appropriate overall length, but a regular offset/offset oval case muffler wil probably be easier, and possibly cheaper as well (possibly around $20 each?).

I don't know if angled-tip glasspacks come in different angles ....
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

wow, thanks for the quick response...I will check into some ovals (offset/offset) here are the cherry bombs in various sizes and angles: http://www.jegs.com/p/Cherry-Bomb/Ch...69804/10002/-1

Just to confirm size 2" in/out... how about overall case size?

Comment

Interesting about the angled inlets. I was mostly going by my Walker master catalog, which just notes that it has glasspacks with angled tips in a couple of different case lengths.

2" in/out is correct .... stock is 19" case, 24.5" overall. You can easily use a shorter universal-fit muffler as long as you don't mind adding some extra pipe in between.

For '90-'91 non-police models, my catalog lists the 22559 ($80) and 22622 ($78) being used together, one of each. That's for the pricy Quiet Flow model ... the cheaper SoundMaster direct fit lists part numbers 18190 and 18437 at about $45 each. Those should also fit your stock hangers for a direct bolt-in installation (no need to fuss with aftermarket muffler hangers). Suggested universal-fit part numbers include 17844 "SoundFX" ($34), 17894 "Economy" ($27).

Oddly, the PN 22105 Quiet-Flow listed for '79-89 and '90-'91 police models is only $65 each, with the suggested alternative being the 18105 "Tru-Fit" ($32). Evidently, the civilian models started getting different hangers starting in those years.

These prices are for Summit Racing ... you might also check the prices at RockAuto.com, as they have a nice 5% off coupon code for GMN users.
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

sounds good (no pun intended). Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
          X