Premium Sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Premium Sound

Ok so I have the premium sound system in my '87 LTD CV and I tried hooking up an aftermarket head unit to it. I bought a wiring harness. I plugged the wire harness into just the speakers and that wouldn't work. So I plugged it into the wires that seemed to be goin 2 the amp and that also didnt work. Wat do I do.
    sigpic
    New 87 LTD Crown Vic

Need to run new wires to each speaker. The 87 is a common ground, and basically incompatible with anything used in a modern radio.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      Need to run new wires to each speaker. The 87 is a common ground, and basically incompatible with anything used in a modern radio.
      thx...i been thinking that I would have to do that and dreading it if I did but I gotta have my sound.
      sigpic
      New 87 LTD Crown Vic

Comment

The common-ground cars are weird at first glance, but there is hope for them. If you look at your harness, there is the 8-wire plug coming from it, then into that is plugged in another harness, with a funny yellow connector thing hanging off it. That second harness is the one for the amp and all that shit, it basically takes the signal from the radio, feeds it to the amp, then takes it from there and feeds it back to the speakers. The speakers themselves do have two wires each, so if you unplug the add-on harness from the 8-wire plug and plug your adapter harness directly into that, then your headunit should work fine. Take a look there and you'll see what I'm talking about...

Comment

Then there is this BS harness, that takes the regular 8-wire harness and reduces it to a common-ground setup, hell if I know why cause the radio itself will run the 8-wire plug directly and can operate 4 speakers independently...
          Last edited by ; 02-05-2010, 04:53 AM.

Comment

Ive plugged the harness into the amp and into the speakers themselves and I still get no sound from my speakers.
            sigpic
            New 87 LTD Crown Vic

Comment

and what about the red wire coming from somewhere and hooking on the back of the stock headunit. What does it do?
              sigpic
              New 87 LTD Crown Vic

Comment

Originally posted by DiVin3 View Post
                Ive plugged the harness into the amp and into the speakers themselves and I still get no sound from my speakers.
                Crap, then you may have to run new wires to the speakers, like Thain suggested.

Originally posted by DiVin3 View Post
                and what about the red wire coming from somewhere and hooking on the back of the stock headunit. What does it do?
                It has a ring terminal, and attaches to the bolt that sticks out of the factory radio, correct? That's your ground, the Crown Vic radio can ground through both its chassis and one of the pins in the harness, I always use both if applicable. If your new headunit has a bolt sticking out of its back, attach the wire to there. In my truck (same setup as your Vic, minus the amp) I first put in a factory Crown Vic radio so I can run 4 speakers, and I had this grounded both through the harness and with the big bolt in the back. Then I installed an aftermarket radio, and did the same thing - actually with the Sony I was able to use both the angle pieces that the factory radio has to bolt on to the dash, and the slider bracket that sits in the back of the radio, so it comes out just like the factory radio would.
                Last edited by ; 08-26-2009, 10:22 PM.

Comment

I also have the Premium sound system and just bought a Kenwood cd receiver and will be installing tomorrow. The guy at the counter said I maybe I might need to change the wiring to install it. I asked about hooking up the stock amp to the head unit and he said it wouldnt sound right or something.

John deere green, does doing what you said mess up the quality or something?
                  88 MGM 5.0 stock

Comment

Deepsleep, the factory amp is there because the radio itself has a fairly low power output - it is therefore designed for that low power output (which for the amp is really an input), so with your Kenwood putting out a stronger signal I'm not sure if you're not going to fry the amp if you feed it the Kenwood signal. To be on the safe side I'd say just bypass the amp, and run the wires from the radio directly to the speakers - you can buy an amp-bypass harness that is a direct plug-in, or you can cut and splice the wires yourself if you so prefer.

And I'm not quite sure what you're referring to when you ask if it messes up the sound quality, but if it's about the way I installed the Sony radio with the factory L-brackets riveted to its craddle - nope, no issues with that whatsoever, really the only way I can see the sound quality being messed up is if the radio don't ground quite right, but I have it grounded through both the factory harness and a dedicated (very big) ground strap, so it's about as perfect as it's gonna get.

Comment

I'm going through the same b.s. right now. From what I've gathered you need a Premium Sound Bypass. I just ordered one and it should be in next week. Scosche and MEtra both make them.

Comment

The plugs are there for both styles of stock sound systems, all you do is unhook the harness coming from the amp back to the front of the car(the output side, not the small round one) and the other harness for the standard sound system plugs right in. Conversion kits should not be needed.
                        1990 LTD Crown Vic w/ dead 5.0
                        1984 Pontiac 6000 cammed 2.5L Iron Duke
                        1986 F-150 300 6cyl 5spd.
                        1994 Crown Vic... Free, bad trans?

Comment

Would you guys like pics for future reference? It was exactly the same as doing it on a Fox Mustang or Exploder with premium sound.

Comment

iv done a buddies 88 merc that has the NON black box. i used a stock harness and wallmart harness. i cant remeber what i did bit i took the stock black and grey connecters apart and switched wires around. same with my 88 with the JBL primium sound and got the square connector(black speaker one going to the amp) and switched a ground and power wire in the grey connector and grounded that fat red wire....and i agree, it should not be hard to do an install.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

There are quite literally 2 harnesses behind the radio. The plugs to bypass the amp are under the glovebox/kickpanel. No repinning or anything. I will get a pic of mine after Physio tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X