AODE Suddenly won't shift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AODE Suddenly won't shift

This Marq I just bought is possessed. As soon as one thing is fixed, another thing breaks.

Just got the hesitation problem taken care of and all of a sudden, it's stuck in 2nd. Shifts 1-2 then stays in second. Checked the fluid and it's over full by a significant amount. The fluid is 2 inches above the cross hatches on the stick when hot.

The fluid is also dirty. Not black but when I wipe it on a clean paper towel, it leaves behind a dark residue.

I've about had it with this car. I've owned it for less than two weeks. Somebody just shoot me already.

Brian
    sigpic87 LTD Wagon

On an AOD, I'd say direct clutch failure, but I'm not sure if the AODE has that. The dark residue sounds like some sort of clutch material though.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

There will always be issues with older cars...Hang in there!
      '79 Continental Town Car
      '90 Crown Victoria LTD
      '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

This wouldn't be so frustrating if not for the fact, I've been unemployed (full time) for over a year. I snagged a part time job a few months ago but my weekly hours have varied between 4 and 38. Now I'm in a fight with the State over my Unemployment so Money is very tight. Right now, I don't even have the money to buy enough Mercon V to change the fluid, let alone pay for the labor to have it done. I don't have the tools or a way of getting the car in the air enough to drain the fluid.

After what happened with the car I bought before the Marq (97 4.6L T-bird that blew a head gasket 1/4 mile from where I bought it and couldn't get my money back) I've been tapped out for two months. The only reason I even have the Marq is because I sold the Bird for $300 ($700 loss) Sold an old Sable and my 94 Vic as demo derby cars ($400) and I was able to get $200 back from the guy I bought the bird from.

Sorry... Had to vent a bit. I've been feeling like there's been a black cloud following me for a while.

I'm gonna try and pull the codes this morning and then take the car to the guy I bought it from. Since he's a real dealer (not private sale) and he has a shop. Car was an as is sale but I've only owned it 12 days and put less than 400 miles on it.

Brian
        sigpic87 LTD Wagon

Comment

Hi Briglad

Yep as Gadget says probably direct clutch failure my AODE did that.

Regards

Dereck
          President and founder of The Turbine Wheel Appreciation Society and Little Debbie Cake Connoissuer

Also "The Pondside Pain In Your Posterior"

Comment

Turned out to be a bad Throttle position sensor... God I love modern electronic engines (insert sarcastic smiley here)
            sigpic87 LTD Wagon

Comment

Working...
            X