Rear "Air-Leveling" Shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear "Air-Leveling" Shocks

I done some searching and found little info. on what I want to accomplish. I own a 90 CP and I have replaced the fronts shocks already awhile back, I'm having a problem though seeing how to take the rear air-leveling shocks off the rear. How to you get to the top nut is my question? It's bugging me!! Also is there a direct replacement for these rear "air-leveling" shocks? or have a Ford p/n# on these?

Thanks

Jeff B.
    My 90 Colony Park...All Stock/ My 89 T-Bird SuperCoupe...Modded

I know that gadget73 uses regular Monroe MaxAir air shocks on the back of his Town Car, plumbed into a factory load-leveling system. I have a pair of the same or similar shocks, but I've always just inflated and deflated them manually. Mine were about $50 for the pair a few years back. Think the Gabriels were about $75 at the time. You may want to look into the longer F-150 shock swap for your wagon (too-short stock shocks is supposely one reason wagons tend to have a crappy ride in the rear).

One way to get to the top nuts is to cut holes in the floorpan, but I don't recommend that. I haven't yet done it "right", but it should work fine to use a regular 9/16" wrench and reach carefully up and over the bit of frame the shocks mount to ... though if you have access to one, a flex-head GearWrench would probably make it easier.
    Last edited by 1987cp; 08-26-2009, 08:27 AM.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Dug a little deeping in searching, and on O'reilly's website sell the Motorcraft AS-252/3(RH/LH) & ASHD's (Heavy Duty)

Has anyone have these ones on the CP or heard any anything about these?

The pic. of the shock is not available or I'd post it. Now the ASHD, they show a pic. and does not look like what I have. I do know that the pictures shown often don't actually mind that they are the correct one though. I will call them today and get some info. on them and I'll report back here with some type of info.

Jeff B.

Comment

You get the top nut with a wrench...
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

top nut you stick a wrench in there and turn the body of the shock if possible. They have bad access, no doubt about it but there really isn't much of a trick to getting them out other than fighting with them.

As mentioned, I have regular air shocks on mine, made by Monroe and using the inexpensive adapter to connect them to the stock air compressor stuff. Works well enough for me.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Minor Hijack here.

Where is the compressor mounted on cars with this option?
            Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
            AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
            Open/Lock/Ratio #
            -----------------------
            G / H / 2.26
            B / C / 2.47
            8 / M / 2.73
            7 / - / 3.07
            Y / Z / 3.08
            4 / D / 3.42
            F / R / 3.45
            5 / E / 3.27
            6 / W / 3.73
            2 / K / 3.55
            A / - / 3.63
            J / - / 3.85

Comment

Originally posted by GoodSamaritan View Post
              Minor Hijack here.

Where is the compressor mounted on cars with this option?
              Mine is mounted right in front the washer fluid res. or basically right above the steering box.

Comment

86 its in the rear somewhere. On the cars its in the trunk on the passenger side behind the cardboard panels, not sure about the wagons but I'd guess somewhere in the vicinity of the spare tire. Every other year its mounted behind the washer bottle.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                X