Twin turbo 306 Towncar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Twin turbo 306 Towncar

This is in the works, I've always wanted to turbo my Anabelle, and I think I can make it happen for pretty much the price of a supercharger kit. There will be prep work first like big brakes and the K-code disc rear axle for better stopping power. I'm going conservative here with probably td04 mitsubishi turbos off eclipses. They are cheap and plentiful. 24 or 30lb injectors with a mass air conversion and a tweecer should do the job. I have seen a turbo mark VII so why not a towncar?
    1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Do it. Please.
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Aren't those turbo's pretty small?

I would like to see someone actually do this. As much as I want to FI my car, it's not gonna happen for quite some time due to money and workspace problems.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Why not run some T-28s or something? I would think that would be a better size for the engine. See if STS has anything for 5.0 mustangs and what the turbos are in the kits, that would give you a good idea of what to run. I'm pretty sure the Vette kits they offer are twin T-28 or GT-28s
        1990 LTD Crown Vic w/ dead 5.0
        1984 Pontiac 6000 cammed 2.5L Iron Duke
        1986 F-150 300 6cyl 5spd.
        1994 Crown Vic... Free, bad trans?

Comment

The most common JY turbos are t3 from turbocoupes/SVO's/XR4ti's

there are some good JY turbo sites, I'd suggest reading up on those.

Comment

Lots more room in the engine bay of a Towncar compared to any Fox car. The thing is though, people make stuff specific for the Fox cars. You'll be left doing a bit more fabrication work on your own. The concept is incredibly cool, don't get me wrong but you definitely have your work cut out. Sure would be badass though.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I would suggest the t3's off of a turbo 2.3 with the .48 housing perfect for twins and they spool around 2500-2800 on a 5.0 IIRC.

I'm collecting parts to turbo my grand marquis at the moment, im planning a single turbo setup for mine though. Borg warner S475 1.10 A/R 83mm housing. On a 351 stroker of some sort, CI unknown yet, through a built 4r70w

SORRY FOR THE THREAD JACK HAHA

Make sure you don't skimp on the fuel system either I would go with at least 42lb injectors, with a 255lph intank should do the job up to block splitting power for you.

Are you doing a H.O. swap also? They have stock forged bottom end.

Also if you are going to run flipped bbk shorty headers like most twin guys do you have to point them up not down they hit power steering pump and point right at the steering box if you just flip them regular.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
              Big plans

Comment

My bottom end is already built and ready for 400-500 horsepower. I bid on some of those smaller turbos, might be able to get them both for 122 shipped. This will be a sub $2000 project, it really doesn't need to cost more than that. I've been scoping out parts and prices for years. For my first build I want smaller turbos just because there is less to go wrong, I'll go with turbocoupe t3's if I come across a good deal. Should be able to get a bunch of stuff free from my buddy at a salvage yard in SC. I'll be making all the piping custom myself with a welder I have access to at school. I'll probably get someone to weld the manifold plates to the headers though, since that needs to be a really good weld.
                Last edited by 89LincolnTWNcar; 08-31-2009, 09:03 PM.
                1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

well I say god for it. Yours will be done before mine though : ( haha

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                  Big plans

Comment

spunds like a great project mang can't wait to see some progress with it

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                    302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                    k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Originally posted by 1980c10 View Post
                      I would suggest the t3's off of a turbo 2.3 with the .48 housing perfect for twins and they spool around 2500-2800 on a 5.0 IIRC.

I'm collecting parts to turbo my grand marquis at the moment, im planning a single turbo setup for mine though. Borg warner S475 1.10 A/R 83mm housing. On a 351 stroker of some sort, CI unknown yet, through a built 4r70w

SORRY FOR THE THREAD JACK HAHA

Make sure you don't skimp on the fuel system either I would go with at least 42lb injectors, with a 255lph intank should do the job up to block splitting power for you.

Are you doing a H.O. swap also? They have stock forged bottom end.

Also if you are going to run flipped bbk shorty headers like most twin guys do you have to point them up not down they hit power steering pump and point right at the steering box if you just flip them regular.

I would imagine max boost at 2500 on a 5.0 with those...Friggin .48 housing does that on a stock 2.3L...SVO's can cruise on the highway without spooling the turbos. I would use .63's, I got better milage and more power on mine with the 63 exhaust housing.

Comment

I want to help with either or both of these projects please!!!!
                        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                        sigpic
                        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 89LincolnTWNcar View Post
                          My bottom end is already built and ready for 400-500 horsepower. I bid on some of those smaller turbos, might be able to get them both for 122 shipped. This will be a sub $2000 project, it really doesn't need to cost more than that. I've been scoping out parts and prices for years. For my first build I want smaller turbos just because there is less to go wrong, I'll go with turbocoupe t3's if I come across a good deal. Should be able to get a bunch of stuff free from my buddy at a salvage yard in SC. I'll be making all the piping custom myself with a welder I have access to at school. I'll probably get someone to weld the manifold plates to the headers though, since that needs to be a really good weld.
                          Are these new/rebuilt turbos, or used?

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                          1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                          But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MI View Post
                            Are these new/rebuilt turbos, or used?
                            I just retracted my bid because the kid selling them posted a revision to his ebay listing saying a chunk of piston went through each one :yuck: I'll be looking for maybe a bit of a bigger turbo set than .50mm

I wrote down all the stuff that needs to happen before the turbos go on.
                            195* thermo - bought
                            Taurus fan - bought
                            proper tranny cooler line routing - need to do
                            3.55 locking K-code with disc brakes - bought
                            cargo coils - bought
                            big brakes and front end rebuild (so I can stop the damn thing lol) - don't got
                            A/F ratio gauge (so I don't blow shiz up) - don't got
                            Mass air conversion - don't got
                            Tweecer - don't got
                            Last edited by 89LincolnTWNcar; 09-01-2009, 12:24 AM.

Comment

so this is what you been doing instead of pulling the Seats at LKQ?

btw... I am going agree on the turbo exhaust housing, .48 and .50 are going to be too small, need at least a .63 housing for it to be worth anything.

the .63 chrysler pattern housing is now discontinued, not sure if the t3/t4 pattern stuff is too.
                              2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                              89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                              88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Working...
                              X