What synthetic oil are you running?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What synthetic oil are you running?

The new ride needs an oil change and I'm trying to figure out what weight and brand I want to use. I'm thinking the standard 5w-30 in Mobil One.

I've always used Mobil-1 and been very happy with its performance. Buy the 5 quart jug rather than the individual quarts; it's much cheaper that way.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

I use the big 5 quart jug of Mobil 5000 10w-30 from walmart. $11 bucks for 5 quarts. You cant beat that. It's cheaper, just like Nathan said. I primarily stay away from synthetics in my daily driver, because to me, it's just too expensive, and you may end up pissing your money away.
      However, on more expensive, limited, high-performance vehicles, they may require or recommend synthetics.
      I use Royal Purple 5W-20 Full Synthetic in the Marauder.

The difference between the two: Tank= $ 15 oil change, Marauder = $60 oil change.
      The Marauder gets driven maybe 3k a year.
      The Tank gets atleast 20k a year.
      I also do my oil changes every 3k miles. It's a good maintainence practice, from my stand point.

-ryan s.
      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
      Originally posted by pantera77
      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

If you live anywhere where cold start up temps are at freezing or below, any synthetic oil would be better than regular dino oil. I used to be a Mobil 1 fan myself, but have recently switched to Valvoline SynPower full synthetic. Going to go to Pennzoil Platinum soon. Very high zinc content, and a strong detergents package.
        Last edited by torquelover; 09-03-2009, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm a firm believer in Synthetic for a daily driver. I want this car to last. I was never a synthetic guy until I was at a buddies shop years ago. He pulled apart a Honda Civic motor while I was there and it was so clean you could eat off of the internals. He said it was running synthetic since day one.

What weight do you guys use? My car calls for 5w30 but Mobil1's site says 5w20.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob View Post

What weight do you guys use? My car calls for 5w30 but Mobil1's site says 5w20.
            What you should use depends on your conditions. How about some details? What vehicle and engine, type of use, climate, mileage, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by torquelover View Post
              What you should use depends on your conditions. How about some details? What vehicle and engine, type of use, climate, mileage, etc.
              Castrol recommends 5w20 as well.

1997 Marquis Ls
              4.6L motor
              71,000 miles
              Average daily driving. 5-20 miles a day I'd guess.
              Lower Michigan climate. Summer can get into the 90's and winter can get into the teens.

Comment

I got my 97 with 93K on it and I sold it with 160K on it.

Either Mobil 1 or Amsoil 5w-20. And I ran 7K intervals.

Comment

Originally posted by AKA_Rizzo View Post
                  I got my 97 with 93K on it and I sold it with 160K on it.

Either Mobil 1 or Amsoil 5w-20. And I ran 7K intervals.
                  Thanks! I was goign to go for 5000 intervals. You did 7K all the time?

Comment

My Merc came with free oil changes for life from the dealer - I get Motorcraft Synthetic 5/20
                    Nothing makes me smile more than a cougar in my Panther

Kristal - 2005 Grand Marquis GS

Killin' zombies and grillin' veggie burgers, it's kinda my thing you know? - Bozowolf

Comment

Royal Purple baby....5W-20

Comment

mobil 1 syn high mile 10w-40
                        sigpicTHE H.I.D MASTER
                        87 mercury grand marquis
                        88 crown vic lx
                        89 mercury colony park ls (sold)
                        89 mercury grand marquis (sold)
                        00 ford crown vic lx hpp
                        03 mercury marauder aka punisher (sold )

Comment

amsoil 5w30 in 3000 mile intervals. the only issue with using the synthetic in a car you do not drive often is chancing leaky seals. on a daily driver its not much of an issue but something that sits around more than its driven you could have an issue.
                          1996 Mercury Grand Marquis - duals, PI cams, PI intake, J-Mod, MZT, BOC tune, 3.55s, 18in wheels
                          1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero - 5.0 HO T5 Fun Cruiser
                          http://www.supermotors.net/users/tmm313

Comment

i use whatever is on sale

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Walmart synth for me, unless there is a better sale on something else.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X