AOD question (is it DOA?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AOD question (is it DOA?)

Alright got yet another question about this freaking swap I have been working on since April. Anyone who read my post in the 5.0/5.8 tech already knows that I am in the process of taking a 351W out of a 87 crown vic and putting it in a 87 Mustang. Well I FINALLY got everything hooked up, all the fluids topped off, idling nicely, and the way I want it. So I took this weekend off because it is my B-day weekend and I wanted to tie up the loose ends on this car and get it on the road. Well I go to take it for a test drive today, go to shift into reverse to back out of the driveway.......NOTHING. The engine does not change rpms or even act like the trans did anything. So my first thought is to try drive, same thing no movement no change in rpms, nothing. So I shut it down, have the wifey shift the gears while I watch the linkage and everything is moving correctly. I check the fluid while it is running and been shifted thru the gears and it is good. The reason I started this swap to begin with is because the 5.0 took a shit on the way home one day but I managed to limp it home so I know the trans was good when I parked it. I did not remove the torque converter or anything (had no reason to). I insured that the converter bolts where lined up as I was installing the engine and everything. What the fuck could have happened? The kickdown cable is hooked up and adjusted correctly too. Some happy fucking birthday to me huh?

Summary:
    -Did a 5.0 to 5.8 swap in a fox body
    -AOD trans will not go in any gear
    -Worked when car was parked
    -Insured everything was lined up during install
    -Checked the fluid while running and after shifting thru the gears
    -Highly confused and pissed off

Did you leave the Tq. con. sitting on the input shaft of the tranny all that time without being supported? I've heard that can jack shit up.
    1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
    2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
    sigpic

Comment

At most the motor was out of the car a week and a half. That is at most. I didnt pull the 5.0 till I was just about ready to drop the 351 in. It is acting like the motor and trans are not even connected together. You shift it into a gear and the rpms stay exactly the same where as in my other car you shift into a gear it drops down a little I am guessing from the extra load of the trans being in gear.

Comment

The converter is fully seated on the input shaft right? There are 3 sets of splines it needs to catch on. If you don't have it fully on there, you'll get this.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I never touched the converter except for unbolting it from the flexplate but I guess it is possible that something bumped it somewhere along the lines and moved it just enough to not catch anymore. However if it is not seated all the way wouldnt the engine not meet up tight with the trans since the tq is sitting out and not allowing the flexplate to go up into the bellhousing? Hopefully that made sense, my mind is going a million different ways at a million miles a minute.

Comment

Try pulling the one of the transmission cooler lines to see if the fluid is flowing when the engine is running. I would think that will at least tell you whether the pump in the transmission is spinning or not.

Also I have had a transmission get low on fluid and still show some on the dipstick, after running a while. Foaming? Anyway, it might be easier to drop a couple of quarts of fluid in the thing to see if it pulls at all before yanking the transmission out.

I seriously doubt that the transmission died while sitting there. I've seen cars that sat for a decade, where the transmission still worked fine. Granted they didn't last long but they still pulled, when there was fluid in them.
            Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
            AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
            Open/Lock/Ratio #
            -----------------------
            G / H / 2.26
            B / C / 2.47
            8 / M / 2.73
            7 / - / 3.07
            Y / Z / 3.08
            4 / D / 3.42
            F / R / 3.45
            5 / E / 3.27
            6 / W / 3.73
            2 / K / 3.55
            A / - / 3.63
            J / - / 3.85

Comment

Uh, what flexplate did you use for this swap?

Comment

The stock one for the 351. I can never keep straight which weight goes to which one but it was the correct one for the 351. I am in the process of dropping the trans to check to see if the torque converter is seated all the way.

Comment

Originally posted by bubbaking View Post
                  The stock one for the 351. I can never keep straight which weight goes to which one but it was the correct one for the 351. I am in the process of dropping the trans to check to see if the torque converter is seated all the way.
                  Stock, as in same-year 351W application for a CV and an AOD transmission? And one other note; If you're looking at the rear of the engine, does the face of the flexplate sit flush with the side of the ring gear facing you, or is the flat part closer to the block?

Comment

Working...
                  X