Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those of you that switched to synthetic trand fluid..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those of you that switched to synthetic trand fluid..

Did you honestly notice a difference and if so was it good or bad?

IMHO- The use of a synthetic fluid in the trans will yield you no gains until it dies. What I mean to say is the Syn fluid has a colder pour temp and it will run smoother in colder temps. It also has a higher detergent package added so if you do switch you may notice a nasty color sooner.

UNLESS You do a Jmod. This will allow you to remove all the contaminates in the crevices of the Valve body and reduce the amount of crud the syn fluid will loosen.

Having said all that, I have always either used Canstol syn Mercon V or MotorCraft Mercon V in both of my transmission between two cars with 4 changes all together.

2 when I buy them and 2 when I Jmod them.

My 97 just hit 170K so all my proof for my decisions arrives each day at work, The guy is my relief in my dept.

Comment

Originally posted by AKA_Rizzo View Post
      IMHO- The use of a synthetic fluid in the trans will yield you no gains until it dies. What I mean to say is the Syn fluid has a colder pour temp and it will run smoother in colder temps. It also has a higher detergent package added so if you do switch you may notice a nasty color sooner.

UNLESS You do a Jmod. This will allow you to remove all the contaminates in the crevices of the Valve body and reduce the amount of crud the syn fluid will loosen.

Having said all that, I have always either used Canstol syn Mercon V or MotorCraft Mercon V in both of my transmission between two cars with 4 changes all together.

2 when I buy them and 2 when I Jmod them.

My 97 just hit 170K so all my proof for my decisions arrives each day at work, The guy is my relief in my dept.
      Isn't the OEM trans fluid synthetic? I thought I read that after I posted.
      I was going to have it flushed and then replaced too if that matters. I was told to use Mercon as well.

Comment

Please dont have your system flushed. I have not heard great things about that service.

You 1997 has a drain plug in the Torque Converter, What that will give you along with the pan drop will remove damn near 12 of the 14 qts of the systems volume.

Again, If you need help with any of this I live in Romulus and have 4 jack stands.

Yes Motorcraft Mercon V is a synthetic oil. Use this and be happy

Comment

Please dont have your system flushed. I have not heard great things about that service.

You 1997 has a drain plug in the Torque Converter, What that will give you along with the pan drop will remove damn near 12 of the 14 qts of the systems volume.

Again, If you need help with any of this I live in Romulus and have 4 jack stands.

Yes Motorcraft Mercon V is a synthetic oil. Use this and be happy
          I did not realize you were a Michigan man! My buddy owns a shop in Allen Park and I was just going to have him do the trans fluid. He insited on using the Mercon V so I'll just go that route.

Comment

Buddy or not a flush job is a flush job .

Comment

Buddy or not a flush job is a flush job .
              Oh, he did not mention a flush. I just thought it had to be done.

Comment

Wurd.

as long as he drain the TC and drops the pain you should be ok.

Comment

The flush doesn't have to be done. A full drain like Rizzo said, is enough.

I used Royal Purple Syn ATF in the Marauder.
                  I honestly, cannot tell the difference, because at the time, i hadn't driven the vehicle in 18 months. So, just to go forward wasa nice.
                  I plan on doing the J-mod to the Marauder before winter. I hope.
                  There's always next year.

But i'm happy with the performance. Atleast the Marauder isn't leaking fluid like the Tank is.
                  08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                  03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                  97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                  94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                  73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                  12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                  Originally posted by pantera77
                  Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

If you just do normal driving, you won't notice the difference.

Biggest things to look at. Synthetic can handle higher temperature ranges, is great at cleaning, and lasts much longer between filter changes.

I'm running Valvoline Maxlife in mine, it's a high-mileage synthetic blend transmission fluid. Great stuff, and not too costly. Definately one of the better options out there, in my opinion. I'm also running with some Lucas in the transmission too, never hurts to have it in there.
                    1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
                    1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
                    1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

What about using Royal Purple? It gets awesome reviews. I was also thinking of running it in the rear end. The reason is because I remember seeing a test once with a new Trans Am. they dyno'd it and then took it off the dyno, changed the oil, rear gear lube, and trans fluid to Royal Purple and got an 8 hp boost just from that. I'm thinking it could help with gas mileage and help the parts last longer.
                      Last edited by Bob; 09-19-2009, 03:53 PM.

Comment

I am in the process of putting Royal Purple in everything in the Marauder.
                        The down side to using Royal Purple SYN ATF is the fact that it is $16 a quart. and for a regular flush including the torque converter, thats 12 quarts plus.
                        Besides that, it's great stuff.
                        08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                        97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                        94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                        73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                        12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                        Originally posted by pantera77
                        Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob View Post
                          What about using Royal Purple? It gets awesome reviews. I was also thinking of running it in the rear end. The reason is because I remember seeing a test once with a new Trans Am. they dyno'd it and then took it off the dyno, changed the oil, rear gear lube, and trans fluid to Royal Purple and got an 8 hp boost just from that. I'm thinking it could help with gas mileage and help the parts last longer.
                          I have read studies like you just described, many times they install a synthetic lubricant with a lighter viscosity then the conventional it replaced. The viscosity change alone would result in less parasitic drag and more horsepower. I'm not saying that is the case with the test you read about, but it is good to be aware of it.

As for RP, I have used their gear lube and been less than impressed. AMSOIL has a nice whitepaper that goes over the test results of many different gear lubes, RP included. Check it out: http://www.amsoil.com/products/gearl...hitePaper.aspx

-Rob
                          2003 Lincoln Navigator
                          2001 Grand Marquis
                          1985 Camaro, 12.52 @ 114 MPH

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Roy View Post
                            I have read studies like you just described, many times they install a synthetic lubricant with a lighter viscosity then the conventional it replaced. The viscosity change alone would result in less parasitic drag and more horsepower. I'm not saying that is the case with the test you read about, but it is good to be aware of it.

As for RP, I have used their gear lube and been less than impressed. AMSOIL has a nice whitepaper that goes over the test results of many different gear lubes, RP included. Check it out: http://www.amsoil.com/products/gearl...hitePaper.aspx

-Rob
                            I have a hard time taking test like that seriously though. When they come from the maker and they compare their competitors.

Comment

Just notice how Amsoil doesnt always take the #1 spot.

Comment

Working...
                              X