Plug and wire recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plug and wire recommendation

I checked my plugs today and they look like they could used changed. The car has 71,000 miles but it's 71K old person slow moving miles. I've always liked NGK and was thinking of running them but was not sure on wires. Just stock OEM fine?

I have heard the best stories of price and longevity for OEM wires. It's all I have ever used.

Autolite plugs are made for motorcraft. Uh... APP104 ? Crap I cant remember anymore, Auto lite double plats will run forever. No need for colder plugs since youre not going to add a "Power adder".

Dielectric grease everything and avoid anti-seize on the plugs.

18 ft lbs torque for plugs.

Comment

Originally posted by AKA_Rizzo View Post
      I have heard the best stories of price and longevity for OEM wires. It's all I have ever used.

Autolite plugs are made for motorcraft. Uh... APP104 ? Crap I cant remember anymore, Auto lite double plats will run forever. No need for colder plugs since youre not going to add a "Power adder".

Dielectric grease everything and avoid anti-seize on the plugs.

18 ft lbs torque for plugs.
      Thanks!

I wanted to run Motorcraft but they are so expensive. I'll look at Autolites.

Comment

Check Ebay for the wires. Don't pay the dealer prices on anything..

Also Check ROCK AUTO FTW 1!!! Use GMN's code and get a % off too.

Comment

I found some Denso's on the Rock site. Are those good to use?

Comment

Ok, I guess I'll try and stick with Motorcraft. Rock doesn't seem to have Motorcraft plugs, just wires. I was reading another forum that said Autolites where not the same as MC but then some say they are. They are for sure made by Autolite?

Comment

I can only say that last i knew from a very trusted member Autolite was motorcraft as far as plugs go . Google tesca ford parts . I got wires from them for around 60 for a 97 lincoln town car .

Comment

I think I might just go for the Motorcraft wires and Autolite plugs from Rock. I have a Murray's right down the street from me but since they are turning into O-Reily's they've gotten kind of crappy. Not that they where some awesome superstore to start with.

Comment

the one on telegraph ? yeah down hill . No more TRW either .

Comment

Originally posted by AKA_Rizzo View Post
                    the one on telegraph ? yeah down hill . No more TRW either .
                    The one on Eureka in Southgate. Sucks, the place has not changed in 30 years and now it's all different. LOL I hate the one counter thing now too. If I just want something off the shelf I can't just checkout. I have to wait in line behind a bunch of people ordering special parts and junk.

Comment

Autolite makes most Motorcraft wires and plugs.

This was readily apparent when I worked at a Ford dealer.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                        Autolite makes most Motorcraft wires and plugs.

This was readily apparent when I worked at a Ford dealer.
                        Thanks man! Maybe I'll just go with Autolite plugs and wires then.
                        Anyone know if Walmart sells plugs and wires? If I can get them locally I'll get this done this weekend. If not I'll order from Rock tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob View Post
                          I checked my plugs today and they look like they could used changed. The car has 71,000 miles but it's 71K old person slow moving miles. I've always liked NGK and was thinking of running them but was not sure on wires. Just stock OEM fine?
                          I've recently put NGK's on my '93 Merc. No complaints so far!
                          '79 Continental Town Car
                          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

I ended up ordering Motorcraft wires and Autolite dual platinum plugs. We shall see how they work soon.

Comment

The double plats are they way to go on your waste spark ignition system.

IIRC I did mine on the 97 with 94 or so K on it , ran 87 octane and did the plugs basically because I wanted to at around 150K.

Comment

Working...
                              X