Weird Sound...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird Sound...

Recently my gradmarquis97 canadian model with digital display, developed a weired sound apparently coming from right side. IT COMES SPECIALLY WHEN I TURN THE STEERING TO RIGHT SIDE OR TURN TO RIGHT SIDE.

I showed to a mechanic, who said it is due to rear bearings. I changed the bearings but in vain. Then he said it is due to front bearings, I changed that but in vain.

I changed the rear right side axle but also of no benefit.

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

What kind of noise is it?, Thunking, creaking, whining? Does it only make the noise when the car is moving, or will it do it if you turn the wheels left to right at a stop? My 99 Marquis occaisionally squeaks and pops when the wheel is turned full right or left, i think its a ball joint thats running out of grease and binding up. Sometimes when someone bounces the front end of the car it will make a creaking noise like an old hinge too as the car bounces up and down.
    1999 Grand Marquis
    sigpic

Comment

Yes more specific details would be helpful.
      Where does the noise sound like its coming from? If it happens while driving does it speed up/slow down as the car speeds/slows?

Don, mine makes a loud clunk (well used to...haven't heard it in a while haha) when its at full-lock left. I think the ball-joints & tie-rods are on the spring tune-up list...
      1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
      1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Thanks DON&7887 and DRIVERSIDEIMPACT98 for your support.

The sound is rather a ghun or something touching or pressing something. IT is continuous and present as far my steering is towards right side. When my steering is in neutral position or towards left, then it disappears.

It appears as if it is coming from right rear..

Comment

So like a rubbing sound?

Man, i cannot think of anything right now I'm drawin blanks...
          The fact that it only happens when you're turning right leads me to believe its on the front, and probably something in the steering system. Suspension noises usually happen all the time. And shocks rattle most of the time.
          Although I have heard noises from the brakes when the wheels are being turned. Like a rock in the brake shield or a loose brake pad.
          Another thing to look at would be the sway-bar...if the bushings or the end links are a bit worn out it could make a pressing kind of noise. Go under and try and wiggle it a bit, it should be stiff.
          1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
          1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

You still haven't specified whether the car has to be moving for the car to make this sound. That's an important part of the equation.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
            1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
            But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MI View Post
              You still haven't specified whether the car has to be moving for the car to make this sound. That's an important part of the equation.
              Thanks man! Yes the sound come when on the move and when turning right. Not when turning left.

Comment

Originally posted by apple2005 View Post
                Thanks man! Yes the sound come when on the move and when turning right. Not when turning left.
                Yup, overlooked that. haha.
                1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Bent sway bar or tie rods. I may or may not have have a decent collision with a concrete curb a winter prior to last. I hit it with my right fron tire, with the steering all the way to the left. now when i turn right, there is a definite noise, and the car drifts to the right.
                  Don't worry, it's on my list of things to do....

-ryan s.
                  08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                  03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                  97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                  94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                  73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                  12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                  Originally posted by pantera77
                  Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
                    Bent sway bar or tie rods. I may or may not have have a decent collision with a concrete curb a winter prior to last. I hit it with my right fron tire, with the steering all the way to the left. now when i turn right, there is a definite noise, and the car drifts to the right.
                    Don't worry, it's on my list of things to do....

-ryan s.
                    Thanks a lot man for your continuous support.
                    So what should I do? What I should ask the mechanic to check for?

Comment

Does the car pull in any direction while going straight?
                      When was the last time the ball joints were greased?
                      Have him check the tie- rods, sway bar, and ball joints.
                      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                      Originally posted by pantera77
                      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Thanks SVT98t for your concern! I did wheel balancing. It was greased 8 months back. I will contact a good mechanic but it is 200 km away from me. At the moment I have no time to go. May be after 2 weeks..

Comment

Yes SVT98t I got it. Yesterday I was travelling on highway and I found that my car was dragging to the right and I had to come back to the road. I found also that even when not moving, turning the steering to right side produces sound. So what is your opinion?

Thanks in advance..

Comment

Originally posted by apple2005 View Post
                            Yes SVT98t I got it. Yesterday I was travelling on highway and I found that my car was dragging to the right and I had to come back to the road. I found also that even when not moving, turning the steering to right side produces sound. So what is your opinion?

Thanks in advance..
                            I'd still check sway bar, ball joint, tie rod, etc. And I'd get an alignment. Which you'll need anyways whether tie rods or ball joints are replaced or not.
                            1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Originally posted by DriverSideImpact98 View Post
                              I'd still check sway bar, ball joint, tie rod, etc. And I'd get an alignment. Which you'll need anyways whether tie rods or ball joints are replaced or not.
                              Thanks for continuous support! I did alignment today but the sound is still there. So I will take to mechanic after 2 weeks. I will inform when done.

Comment

Working...
                              X